Author Topic: pellet bow test - new bow - new pics  (Read 21372 times)

Offline GlisGlis

pellet bow test - new bow - new pics
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:05:58 am »
Hello folk
after alot of searching I decided to give pellet bow a try
Online informations are quite scarce and not too many people seem to use it
For my test i used a 25ish # ash bow with crappy pellet strings.
When I'll hit the correct setup I'll do it better.
The 2 strings are kept 4,5 cm  (1  49/64'') apart that I think is a little too much for the short double string.
It require a strong fingers grip to keep the string together and the pinch grip is not confortable.
In fact i think that the setup showed in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gl6LDwVjn4
could be better as longer double lines will require less energy to keep strings together at draw
Stone hitting the bow or the hand never seems a problem when I can have a good grip on the pellet.
I use the twisting holding bow hand technique described on some readings and it seems to work very well.
The basic is to twist the holding bow hand a couple of degrees to the outwards (actually keeping the bow twisted at draw) and the stone will pass on the inward (right for rigth handed).
I suspect that could be difficult to do it with stronger bows.

It seems to be a very funny and rich of potential type of shooting.
I just have to resolve the pinch issue
Can understand what the man in the video does
I'm open to any suggestion and contribution. Sorry for the long talk
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:01:28 am by GlisGlis »

Offline dueb

Re: pellet bow test
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:11 am »
I have never seen that, Thanks for sharing!  ;D
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline adams89

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:08:44 am »
very, very cool thing, nice for rabbits ;) thanks for sharing

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:41 am »
My Cambodian buddy told me about these. They used them to run critters out of the garden. They used very low weight as they are buddhist and dont intend on killing, just scaring off the critters. He said you have to flick your wrist at the right moment to keep pellet from hitting your bow.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
This is the kind of bow where a giant hole in the center of your handle would be very helpful. 

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:21:11 pm »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:45:38 am »
@ koan
it would be great to have more details form a first hand user. It seems that there are a few small differences in various parts of the world

@Willie
thankyou Willie. I already stumbled on that project
It looks interesting but a little bit too complex and less primitive than those I'm trying to reproduce

Anyway I kept shooting and found some interesting fact.
First of all the pinch issue.
I think I solved it.
The pouch was far too big for the bullets I was shooting.
I tried to pinch and grab the pouch with the stone inside resulting in a very inconsistent grip.
the two sides of the pouch kept slipping before release giving strange directions to the shoot
I tried then to shoot bigger ammo and pinch the stone.
All releases became uniform. Hard hitting straight shot.
very good !   .... not yet
Now a new problem arise. My twisting hand technique seems not to work anymore. Dont know why
90% of the shots hit the bow handle
I tried hard but i cant reproduce the technique seen in the videos

Anyway after alot of attempts i developed a new technique that works well
I keep the bow very canted and after realeasing I let the bow drop a bit.
that allow the pellet to pass over the bow avoiding it and apparently without deviation from the target
all shots seems very powerful and accurate
That type of shooting is really addicting. Not having to think about arrows recovery gives you a nice freedom  ;)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
Another video - team pellet shooting:
https://vk.com/video-19790784_160664703

I'm still working on my technique and almost done string version 2.0  ;)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:56 pm »
I see that this thread doesnt get much attention but i'll be relentless in the name of science  ;)
Here string version number 2. Longer double line smaller pouch. Definitly easier to shoot.

Things learned:
- From the testing so far it is easier to shoot when the pouch is smaller than the diameter of the pellet
- Length of double string seems ininfluent
- a stone hitting bow handle is likely to rebound and break something  or hit you :-\   ----> it's a wise thing to practice your technique with a cork instead of stones (that also allows indoor shooting that is good fun)
- apparently the pellet hitting my helding hand is never an issue. the pouch on strings is about an inch higher that the corrisponding hand on the bow.
- the dropping bow technique is easy to master, twisting wrist is much more complicated (at least for me)
- shooting rate is awesome. It's easy to shoot up to 3 or 4 pellets in a few seconds. far easier than with arrows.

next steps: an even smaller pouch, a shorter bow and a bendy handle bow, then different kinds of pellets.

In the meanwhile let me suggest you to try it! You could be amazed.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 01:06:05 pm »
Keep truckin, this is cool! Im thinkin short and deflexed(for a higher brace hieght) might make it abit safer/easier for the timing to clear bow and hand from the pellet..my 2 cents... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline son of massey

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:20:02 pm »
I am surprised the rate of fire is a lot higher with one of these...getting the stone in the pouch seems like it would be a deal where a third hand would be helpful if you aren't going to set the bow down, which seems like it would be slower (for me anyway).

Has the belly of the handly taken much damage from getting shot at point blank? That would make things a little scary I would think.
SOM

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:37 pm »
I see that this thread doesnt get much attention but i'll be relentless in the name of science  ;)
Here string version number 2. Longer double line smaller pouch. Definitly easier to shoot.

Things learned:
- From the testing so far it is easier to shoot when the pouch is smaller than the diameter of the pellet
- Length of double string seems ininfluent
- a stone hitting bow handle is likely to rebound and break something  or hit you :-\   ----> it's a wise thing to practice your technique with a cork instead of stones (that also allows indoor shooting that is good fun)
- apparently the pellet hitting my helding hand is never an issue. the pouch on strings is about an inch higher that the corrisponding hand on the bow.
- the dropping bow technique is easy to master, twisting wrist is much more complicated (at least for me)
- shooting rate is awesome. It's easy to shoot up to 3 or 4 pellets in a few seconds. far easier than with arrows.

next steps: an even smaller pouch, a shorter bow and a bendy handle bow, then different kinds of pellets.

In the meanwhile let me suggest you to try it! You could be amazed.
[/quote

Possibly an armored gauntlet might be useful for the the bow hand?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 03:37:03 am »
Im thinkin short and deflexed(for a higher brace hieght) might make it abit safer/easier for the timing to clear bow and hand from the pellet..my 2 cents.Im thinkin short and deflexed(for a higher brace hieght) might make it abit safer/easier for the timing to clear bow and hand from the pellet..my 2 cents.

Yes. I think too that could be reasonable.

getting the stone in the pouch seems like it would be a deal where a third hand would be helpful

Not really. unlike the slingshot pouch this one, being attached to the strings, is very steady.
You can hold 3 or 4 stones in your drawing hand and still put one in the pouch in no time.
All you need is to lay the pellet on the pouch and pinch the pellet and draw to shoot

Has the belly of the handly taken much damage from getting shot at point blank?
only once  ;)
then i learned to tie a piece of rubber to the handle when i pellets shoot

Possibly an armored gauntlet might be useful for the the bow hand?
I think it could be a little overkill
so far I have never shooted my hand and it seems unlikely I'll do in the future. well... at least I hope so  :D

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 04:00:42 am »

I took a different approach to shooting stones or lead balls with any bow! I made an arrow with a small funnel at the front and a slide like used on fishing arrows that is attached to a fur rabbit skin or rag. You load ball into funnel and place a bit of wadding over to keep projectile from falling out, like a muzzle loader. When you pull back and release arrow the drag stops arrow in about three yards but the ball keeps on going at arrow speed.
50 cal. lead ball will leave a dent in car door at 20 yards!!!  cheers fiddler49

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 10:15:23 am »
yess Fiddler i know your project. Willie also pointed to it.