Author Topic: Back with a vengeance - and a few general questions  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Andrea S

Back with a vengeance - and a few general questions
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:52:26 pm »
Hey everybody! It's been a few years since I've posted to these forums, but my traditional bow spirit was merely dormant, not gone.

In the years since Walt helped me build my little Osage shortbow, I graduated college and started dating a guy who is a compound bow and rifle hunter. I was pretty much a lost cause from the moment he fed me bacon-wrapped antelope backstrap - it was only a matter of time before I started hunting with him. As someone who loves to cook, going into the field to acquire meat is just as natural and sensible to me as gardening for my vegetables, and I'm lucky enough to live in Montana where my choices to spot-and-spook include black bear, mule deer, whitetail deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and my arch-nemesis, the cottontail rabbit that lives in my neighbor's hedgerow.

After a successful fall with the rifle last year (antelope and a young mule deer buck), I'm looking to get back into traditional archery for hunting, for a few key reasons:

- I learned volumes upon volumes more about game animal behavior and hunting technique while following my boyfriend on stalks during archery season than I did during rifle season. Bow season is for learning animals, rifle season is for avoiding people. Even if I don't poke any critters, I know I will learn a ton.

- I have no romance with or interest in compound bows, but the stick and string is still magic to me.

- Hunting opportunities and hunting pressure are much more optimal during archery-only season, the highlights of which include elk hunting the rut, and the 900 series antelope tag that allows a bowhunter to hunt any region or district for antelope in the state.

For the past couple months, I've been shooting a tidy little boo backed hickory from Rudderbows, a 30#er to build up strength. I can now shoot 60 arrows or more without getting fatigued, and I'm continually refining my technique and consistency (at 10-15 yards), so I think I'm ready to jump up in weight.

So, with all that in mind, I'm looking for some suggestions on what sort of bow I should be building. I've been thinking about knocking out a board bow just to get back in the groove, but I think I might be up for a stave bow if I could find the right stave. What I think I want right now looks sort of like this:

- In the neighborhood of 40#
- Takedown in the handle*
- Backed???
- Longbow or reflex-deflex, probably don't want a recurve
- Sturdy, reliable
- Can be made with hand tools. What I lack in bandsaws, I make up for in patience.

* Takedown bow, mostly because I don't wear camo and it would be nice to pack bow and quiver together for the approach so that people at trailheads don't know I'm hunting. I like to keep my spots on the down-low.

I may have some items for trade if someone has a decent stave. Also, if there is anyone in SW Montana who wants to get together and geek out on traditional bows/hunting, I'd love that too. My boyfriend and his friends are some phenomenal, accomplished compound hunters and target shooters, but I would love to talk/shoot with someone who doesn't give me the side-eye because of my stick and string.

As always, thanks to you guys for listening and being such an awesome resource!

And here's a pic of me and my antelope, first successful hunt ever, even though it was with a rifle: http://m.imgur.com/SwAScqP
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Badger

Re: Back with a vengeance - and a few general questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:18 pm »
  I am sure I have a 35# around here I could send you. You would need to do the finish work yourself as I don't generally fool with the finishes much.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »
Badger, thanks for the generous offer, but part of the mojo is building the bow myself.  :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:49:04 pm »
I prefer osage for my hunting bows,, they are resistant to moisture and harsh hunting conditions,, just a straight flat limb to start with,, get a good hunting bow under your belt, and you can try different designs and woods etc for fun,, no backing,, self bow is better in the bad weather,, make the tips very thin and she will preform ,,, ok get ready for alot of opinions,, but I promise there is no downside to a well made osage self bow..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 05:58:57 pm »
What length of bow are you wanting?  I'm sure I have an osage stave that would work for you. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
Nice goat , they dont call osage the king for nothing that's the way to go  ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline GB

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:39 pm »
Another vote for osage.  It's terrific bow wood in every respect.  Never made a takedown, but I've heard that Echo Archery sells quality sleeves for a good price.  I've bought other stuff from Echo and it's always a pleasure to deal with Carson.  He posts on here as well.
Good luck!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:52:08 pm »
I prefer Osage or Vine maple. Both, tough pieces of wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:48:11 pm »
Osage, black locust and hickory are among my favorites.
Hickory needs no ring chasing where as BL and osage do.
Yes, you should back your first few for your peace of mind.
I'm not sure what your other questions are.
I've never built a take down but that may no be a beginners project.
I think if I had to do it all over again I'd do some more learning on red oak boards, if I could.
Back when I started in '89 we were still thinking kiln dried boards would not make bows. We were wrong. :)
My site has info.
Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:06 am »
Welcome (back).  Anther vote for Osage.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:55:51 am »
Are you in the Bozeman area? I am over the mountain in Emigrant.

They sell hickory boards at Buckeye hardwoods in Belgrade. Most of them were fairly straight grained when I was there last but that was several years ago.

Buy a hickory board with straight grain for 20 bucks from them and you will have enough wood for several bows, or check out the oak boards at the big box stores. I have personally never found a straight grained oak at either big box store in Bozeman but I have only checked 3 or 4 times. While your there you can buy some bamboo tomato stakes for arrows.

Now is when I am on the hunt for Serviceberry staves. I pretty much have to leave the bark on to dry them out or they check like crazy and twist like a propeller, so if you want a stave next year now is the time to cut.

Patrick

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »
Well, osage sounds great. I may build up a hickory board bow for the meantime while I procure an osage stave and work on that bow at a bit slower pace. Patrick, thanks for the tip, I'm in Bozeman so I will definitely go check out Buckeye. Do you think think this tutorial will work for hickory?

Offline GB

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 04:33:56 pm »
That's a good one to follow for a pyramid bow.  You can go narrower with hickory and your lighter draw weight.  I'd guess 2" at the fades to start and you can always narrow it more during tillering if need be.

Congrats on your harvest!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 06:08:41 pm »
I think that tutorial would work fine. I personally dislike bows with handles, preferring a simple D bow, but to each their own.

Patrick

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »
About time you came back to camp...you been off wandering a long time, sister!

I'll throw in for osage or vine maple, too.  Both can take a lot of beating up once they are a finished bow.  Both are resistant to changes in humidity as well, with the edge going to the yeller wood.

A takedown in a canvas sock, stuffed into your daypack will elicit little or no curiosity.  Stealth with the hunt as well as coming and going!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.