Author Topic: Trade at the classic?  (Read 6937 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Trade at the classic?
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:06:56 am »
I'm bringing some wood, mostly vine maple, a few ocean spray, maybe a few yew. If your going to be at the classic lets avoid shipping costs and trade the old fashion way.
I'm looking for some brain tanned hides, knapped points, snake skins, and some well seasoned saplings
judging by the route we're taking there, I may have some green juniper with me as well  ;)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Trade at the classic?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:22:51 am »
I would like to do some trading.  I'll have osage and a few Hackberry. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:32:46 am »
If Jon's Trade Blanket works out there will be a lot of trading going on.  I have a six point set of elk horns that I would like to trade for a bow, some leather left over from making quivers, and a lot of other things including the hemsbuck hide trade blanket! Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 06:29:13 pm »
Sweet, I know there's lots of trades happening at the classic. Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to set something up prior or call some dibs. Clint, you wanted some ocean spray right?

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »
Can someone explain the trade blanket idea? I'm feeling a little dense. :-\

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:45 pm »
Scott, I've seen a trade blanket at another trad shoot.  They take turns going around the circle.  One guy puts something on the blanket to trade.  Anyone interested in the item can lay their trade offering down.  The guy who started it looks over all the options and picks out what he wants to trade for.  If he doesn't like any of the offerings he can pick up his item and no trade is made.

Wizard Goat, Yes!  Or other West coast bow woods that I don't have in the midwest.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 11:11:47 pm »
Yeah.. Now I'm confused about the trade blanket.. :-\ :-\ All the shoots Iv been too with a trade blanket..All ya do is bring a blanket and what ya wanna trade/sell..put it on the blanket and people walk around and look/trade/or buy......
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 12:50:23 am »
Yeah.. Now I'm confused about the trade blanket.. :-\ :-\ All the shoots Iv been too with a trade blanket..All ya do is bring a blanket and what ya wanna trade/sell..put it on the blanket and people walk around and look/trade/or buy......

I've only seen one Bill and that's how they did it.  I will say it took a long time and their wasn't that many people involved.  The way you described sounds much simpler.  Its Jon's idea so however he wants to do it is fine with me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:57:42 am by osage outlaw »

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 02:01:36 am »
Joe, what are you looking for in a bow--length, draw weight and draw length?  I'm not sure I can pull off a bow in 3 weeks with the other projects I have going.  So, make the trade with someone else if they offer you what you need.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 04:52:03 am »
Hedgeapple: I was thinking something around 45#s @ 29" draw!  I pulled a muscle in my right shoulder and all my bows are too heavy for me to pull!  I hate not being able to send pictures except by email or I could send one of the elk horns.  The trade blanket trades at the knappins from the old days were simple.  You put what you wanted to trade on the blanket and people just made an offer that you could except or reject.  Not sure if Jon is going to make this happen as there is so much going on already!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 06:17:59 am »
What Bill said on the trade blanket is how I think this one is going to work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 09:16:13 am »
Thanks for clarification, guys. Just let us know when and where and I'll try to take part.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 12:20:20 pm »
Joe, sorry to hear about your shoulder.  I hope you mend quickly.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »
Oh cool..I get it now..I always thought of it as a Trad/primitive archery yard sale...The one up at the Dentin Hill Pa( Eastern Traditional Ravenous) Is FREAKIN huge..I would guess about 200-300 trade blankets out...on a good year..About everything you could think of trad. archery related..New and old
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 11:00:21 pm »
Hi,

I would be willing to trade a well tuned branch flute for a vine maple or yew bow (45lb at 30).  I will be there as a vendor.  Am willing to discuss other trades if anyone would like a flute...I am interested in handmade hatchets and knives too.  Will be bringing routed, boo and branch flutes.

Rand
Catahoulaflutes
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West