Author Topic: Does the Handle Bend?  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Does the Handle Bend?
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:45:04 pm »
I've had various discussions about this so I thought I'd try and really see on my Hazel warbow.
I stuck two 6" long bits of bamboo kebab skewers to the back of the bow about 4 1/2 " apart, sticking out from the back.
They were fixed with some rapid epoxy (mounted in little blocks of wood about 1/4" square).
I did it with the bow braced. I videoed it as I winched it back to 28" and from the video I could work out the tips of the skewers spread apart about 6mm (by scaling it off a brick :laugh:)
The other interesting thing was, just unbracing it moved the tips inwards by another 2.5mm! (with all these figures I've been careful to not exaggerate at all).
Stills from the video have been put together, I've inverted the shot where they are spread and placed it so the spills are tip to tip for comparison.
Dunno if this is of any interest what so ever, but I felt the need to justify my assertion that my bow was flexing in my hand. It does show a usefull technique for showing small deflections... or maybe I'm I'm just a bit OCD ;D
Also a pic of them being glued on.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Does the Handle Bend?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »
Leave it to an engineer!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

owlbait

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:03:32 pm »
Are you going to try it on any of your other bows as a control/comparison group?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 01:04:39 pm »
Leave it to an engineer!  ;D
I think we need a mathematician to work out a bend radius or angle of deflection now ::)
To me the interesting thing is that it was much easier to feel than to see. In a previous thread on warbows there was an argument (no change there then ::) ) about the handle only starting to bend as in neared full draw. My assertion was that it was bending all the time, but only became obvious/visible as it approached full draw. After all there are no cams or levers to suddenly get the middle working.
I think this shows that even at brace there are small deflections not visible to the unaided eye, but detectable with the use of sophisticated kebab skewers ;)
Del
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:08:24 pm by Del the cat »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:07:01 pm »
Are you going to try it on any of your other bows as a control/comparison group?
It would be interesting if I didn't have other even more interesting stuff to do.
I s'pose it would be interesting to stick spills all along the limb and video it under strobe lighting, maybe with dancing girls?  ::)
You are of course free to continue this ground breaking research... hmm I wonder if there is a research grant I could apply for ;)
Del

owlbait

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 02:28:36 pm »
Well there goes that idea Del. I can break ground and break wind, but my research and mechanical aptitude is poor! Thanks for sharing the research. I do like the idea of strobe lights and dancing girls though. ;)

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »
As long as a force is being applied it will always bend to some degree, no matter how ridged.
I like free stuff.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:50 pm »
  Del, that was cool, now just develop a long tape strip with those little skewers sticking out. Yu could stick it on the back of a bow to look for stiffer spots.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »
I think your data is skewed  :P ;D

Brilliant experiment! Thanks for sharing  :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:48 pm »
Good for you, Del. I'm glad that what you felt was confirmed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 01:46:37 am »
That's nice!
Don't shoot!

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:43:32 am »
Very cool experiment and the resulting "proof's", however I'm most struck by your comment regarding the " feel" of the bend. I have always been impressed with just how sensitive the human hand is. You knew it was bending, and torquing and the feel of the draw curve. Pretty cool to demonstrate what your senses had already told you.

rich

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 09:56:42 am »
Very cool experiment and the resulting "proof's", however I'm most struck by your comment regarding the " feel" of the bend. I have always been impressed with just how sensitive the human hand is. You knew it was bending, and torquing and the feel of the draw curve. Pretty cool to demonstrate what your senses had already told you.

rich
Cheers Rich, I don't think you'll have any need for that sort of test, we all know those shortie bad boys of yours are really bending :laugh:
Del

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:19:09 am »
Del,

We would need a larger sample size to accommodate the request for analysis. If we consider your first test to be the beta, then we would build off of that. There would need to be an agreement as to the parameters of the test, including your willingness to push the boundaries of the bow ( in order to get the most outliers). Form there we can plug in a basic SD calculation to produce some statistical information. It would be a fun project to be on. We could also test other woods, configurations, and draw weights to see if there is a ratio of movement to material/ weight.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:15 pm »
Yo, thanks, but I'm not really serious about analysis as i think there are too many variables and mesurement areas to make it worthwhile. I think it's really an illustration of the value of hand and eye.
Mind it would be interesting to see that converted to an angle of bend or a bend radius... not sure which (if either) would really mean much to me tho'
I think it would be usefull on laminated designs and I expect such things have been used in the past, not to mention strain gauges and CAD.
I like watching the bark crack off, natures strain gauge :laugh:
Del