Author Topic: Bow making tools  (Read 25933 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Bow making tools
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 01:27:42 pm »
What brand of rocks are you using Jamie?

;D ;D ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
For me:
Table saw, bandsaw,spokeshave, rasp, scrapers, and sandpaper. Usually in that order. Most important? The rasp. Don't buy junk. My rasp cost $100. I cringed at the thought, but it's worth every penny.

jamie

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »
stihl , ridged, and stanley >:D

Offline lonniels

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 02:48:47 pm »
Thanks for all the responses. I think that spending money at the beginning saves in the end.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 04:47:52 pm »
Check out bowyersedge.com for the rasp I was talking about.  I got my best prices on the Nicholson rasps at some boat building website, I forget the name.

Jamie, Stanley rocks!  Priceless.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

a finnish native

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 06:11:04 pm »
a good knife, a hatchet, a rasp some files and sandpaper. no powertools what so ever.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 07:50:05 pm »
Thanks for all the responses. I think that spending money at the beginning saves in the end.

You'd be amazed what a little looking 'round flee markets will yield. I found a beutiful, seemingly hand-forged drawknife for $15. I've seen lots of good axes, files and the occasional rasp, all for under $20 a piece, usually closer to $10. Tools are harder to kill then other flee market stuff ;).

Offline Electricfrontporch

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 08:05:12 pm »
Kegan hit the nail on the head. Most of my tools are from the flea market.  I made my drawknife by putting pieces of an axe handle on a scithe blade I got for a dollar.  Its definitely worth looking into.  Some of the older files and rasps are forged from better materials than youll find at home depot.
Don't Panic!

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 08:10:10 pm »
i deffinately agree on the flee market stuff. ive gotten most of my tools from either flee markets or yard sales. i got a really nice scraper set for 3$from a lady at a yard sale whos husband used to make cabinets for a  living. also got a barely used farriers rasp for 2$ just down the road from that one. as for the tools i use: occasionally a table saw for mass wood removal, drawshave/hatchet (the hatchet more often than not), various rasps, a block plane on strait grained stuff, and scrappers.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

John R

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 09:07:16 pm »
Not necessarily primitive, but a good schnitzelbank is a beautiful thang.

Offline Postman

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:36 pm »
what's a schnitzelbank? Is that a freezer full of veal cutlets? maybe Uwe could help us out on this... yavol!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline lonniels

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:35 pm »
I will have to check out flea markets and yard sales for sure. Maybe I wont have to spend alot of money. Thanks

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 09:16:54 pm »
farriers rasp, drawknife, gooseneck scrapers, the 4 in 1 rasp afforementioned is indespensible in my bow tools. cheap too. just use a wire brush to keep your rasps clean. spokeshaves are tricky and the effectiveness depends on the type of wood. they work very fast and effeciently on yew, maple, and oak but harder woods will chatter if the tool isnt set just right.  bandsaws are expensive but they'll turn 6 hrs of work into 5 min of work when you're roughing out a bow. you can get a decent refurbished bandsaw for 400-500 dollars. the refurbishing is done by the factory on most and they still carry the same warranty.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 11:51:57 pm »
what's a schnitzelbank? Is that a freezer full of veal cutlets? maybe Uwe could help us out on this... yavol!

A schnitzelbank is like a Cobblers Bench
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 12:21:28 pm »
I use a band saw, belt sander, and hand tools.

I only work with osage so my hand tools are a draw knife, #49 Nicholson pattern makers rasp, course half round file, bowyers edge, half pair of scissors(scrapes real well) , various cabinet scrapers and a chain saw file for nocks.

James town Distributors has #49 Nicholson files on sale now at a great price. The #49 is all you need. I have the #49 and #50 but seldom use the #50.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:39:49 pm by DanaM »