Author Topic: Bow making tools  (Read 25939 times)

Offline lonniels

Bow making tools
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:16:04 pm »
I am just wondering what tools bowyers prefer to make their bows. I have recently bought a bow kit and am trying to make my first bow. The kit is hickory. Rasp? Spoke shave? Just wondering what I should get. Thanks, Lonnie

Offline Kegan

Re: Bow making tools
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:19:17 pm »
My favorites of favorites are the ax (just a heavy ax head is better- I can't get quite as wild), rasps, and a vice. I don't use drawknives as much as I used to, since I've gotten better at playing with the ax, but use them to touch up the roughed out bow.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:24:50 pm »
A good rasp and a cabinet scraper.  Spokeshaves don't work that well especially when you have wood with grain running other than perfectly straight.  Your hickory is probably pretty straight though.

I like the Nicholson #49 cabinetmakers rasp, although the Ultimate Bowyers Rasp from Dean Torges is a better tool that removes wood faster and leaves just as smooth of a surface.  The second is more pricey than the first ($75 vs $45).  You might find a cheap rasp to get yourself going, I think some of the big stores sell an inexpensive Nicholson rasp for about $10.  If you get into this, you'll be doing yourself a favor by getting a good rasp.  Saves lots of effort and results in a better job.

A Stanley Surform is a good inexpensive alternative for removing lots of wood early in the process.  Get the kind shaped like a rasp, and get the concave blade for it.

Scrapers can be purchased fairly cheaply as a set in places like Grizzly Industrial.  My set is by Marples.  People are always saying I've lost my Marples.  I think thats what they're saying anyway.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline richpierce

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:47:41 pm »
I love the spokeshave the best.  Axe, drawknife, spokeshave, rasp in that order.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:24:13 pm »
Hatchet, drawknife, rasp, scraper.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:13:33 pm »
For about $7 you can get a 4 in 1 rasp at any hardware store, its flat on one side and half round on the other, course on one end fine on the other. Works ok for the money. For a scraper I actually prefer my big old butcher knife. Personally I don't care for surforms. A chainsaw file for nocks and some sandpaper will finish ya out.
As you gain more experience and decide to stay with then is the time to invest in some quality tools. But for about $10 you can be making shavings and bows. Good luck and renenber take your time its not a race and have fun.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:24:40 pm »
I second the spokeshave, after bandsawing it is my primary tool then the scraper.
I tryed early on to use draw knifes and don't like the feel as much as the spokeshave, you just have to have a light touch so it doesn't skip
VB

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »
I like the spokeshave also, some woods a draw knife works better, I keep them both handy. axe, drawknife, spokeshave, rasp, about all you need. Steve

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:41:17 pm »
I love my fariers rasp! (horse shoe rasp) Pretty cheap,and it really hogs it off. Also a knife,several scrapers,chainsaw file,4" vise,a draw knife,for at least ripping bark off,parachute cord for tillering string,and a subscription to Primitive Archer. Yep,that oughta get ya goin.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:27:12 am »
LIke Hillbilly ................ Hachet...........sharp and I mean SHARP! :o Rest same as him. Sharp hachet can also be used as a scraper.  ;...bob

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 02:07:20 am »
Get yourself a hatchet, farriers rasp, Nicholson #49 rasp, cabinet scraper, a small carving file and a pocket knife and you're good to go.
Gordon

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:46:40 am »
Since I don't have a bandsaw, I use a Japanese saw for very straight staves, sharp hatchet, drawknive, short curved knive (skinner type),  spokeshave, coarse rasp, cabinet scraper and a vice of course.
Radon

Dresden - Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:44:16 am »
I use about what Gordon said ,most of the time,but have tried lots of things.I am a tool nut
so I get anything I think I can use,some don't get used but once.Farriers rasp Nicholson 49-50
and cabnit scraper is the main tools. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:14:50 am »
big rock, little rock, littler rock >:D

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 01:23:22 pm »
What brand of rocks are you using Jamie?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO