Author Topic: Bow making tools  (Read 25941 times)

PK

Re: Bow making tools
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 05:25:24 am »
is it me thats ending the threads, can we see more tools?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 09:18:27 am »
Nah its not you but there are only so many tools one can use to make bows.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 11:56:36 am »
I have a small, flexible drawknife that I can't do without, I broke it once and couldn't do any bowmaking until I got another one. I have a large, stiff one that I use for really large stuff, like debarking staves, but for everything else, I use my little drawknife. Seriously, I would recommend a Flexcut 5" drawknife to most of the bowmakers I meet. (Is it okay to post the names of those who don't advertise in the mag as long as they're not archery related ???) I just about make all of my bows, from start to finish, with just that drawknife.
Other than that, I sharpened one of the butterknives that had the small serrated edges, and it makes for a great scraper. I use a rasp, and occasionally a sharp hatchet. That's about it.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline lonniels

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 02:51:36 pm »
It is great to see what everyone is using...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:24 pm »
I have a small, flexible drawknife that I can't do without, I broke it once and couldn't do any bowmaking until I got another one. I have a large, stiff one that I use for really large stuff, like debarking staves, but for everything else, I use my little drawknife. Seriously, I would recommend a Flexcut 5" drawknife to most of the bowmakers I meet.      Sean

where did you buy this Drawknife Sean?? I would be really interested in getting one
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

loosenock

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2008, 09:59:50 pm »
These are the tools that I have used on my Yew bow.

7" Fulton drawknife
Stanley 51 spoke shave
2 Miller Falls cavity planes
scraper

I find the cavity planes very handy from every thing to light shaving the entire limb to delicate work around knots.

Joe

PK

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2008, 03:24:16 am »
I bought a German adze the other day,ruffin out, I did'ny think I could find another tool to use. I keep wanting to buy a band saw,My favorite electric tool.
Loosenok those scrapers are Nice or shaves?.PK
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:26:01 am by PK »

loosenock

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »
PK the wooden handle scraper at the top is hand made.  The two shaves, one on each side, are called cavity planes.  both of them are made by Miller Falls.  I use them like scrapers.  One of them is set and cuts a shaving about the thickness of a sheet of newspaper and the other one cuts a finer shave about the thickness of a cigarette paper.  Both are handy shaving around knots and cutting a radius below the handle.  I could post a few closer pictures if you would like to see them.

Loosenock.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2008, 07:45:10 pm »
Well Sean.....you never answered me ...so I did a little hunting on the Net...and found that little 5" flexible Drawknife.....and what a little worker it is!! You can take off little Ribbons or Hog off big slices with it... I am impressed......I am sure that it is going to be a great addition to my little collection!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2008, 07:58:28 pm »
That does look to be a nice little unit yankee where did ya get it. Bettter PM me the details
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »
Dana............PM sent
2024...We Will Overcome