Author Topic: what are my options?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
what are my options?
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:32 am »
 Hi All,

I don't have to tell the long story but I need to have a moan.....took my laurel pyramid bow to a floor tiller about 10# over final weight and put it on a low brace, found big hinge at 3/4 point of top limb, tillered it out and got to target weight then tillered in same hinge on bottom limb! Argh!! Now bow is WAY under , at 15# (started at 45) and is going to my daughter as her first bow, so lots learned and not a total loss, although it feels like it at the moment.  Anyway, the bow is currently 67 inches long and not heat treated yet, although I plan to, and so I think I could pike it by 6 inches on each limb, or recurve the tips by the same amount, or even sinew the back. What would you all do, not sure which way to go at the moment but those are my options as I see it.

blackhawk

Re: what are my options?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:23:18 am »
Start another...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:32:24 am »
Give it to you daughter and as Bad Chris said start another. Some do but I never try and get one that close to weight floor tillering, I get both limbs bending even and then go to long string until I get it ready to low brace. I want room to work with in case I have a problem.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:12 am »
This early on (bow number four) is all about learning, so now I know to put a string on it earlier and not get distracted into over-working one section of a limb.  So I figure I can still learn from this bow, whether to go with finding out about recurving tips (most likely option at the moment), or what happens when you pike a bow, I'm not decided yet.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:55:58 am »
Floor tiller to brace, that is your  problem. You may have failed to mention using the long string but one can't go from floor tiller to brace and expect good results.

Go to the long string after floor tillering, tiller out the limbs to perfection with no pencil markings from your gizmo with a close setting and brace your bow. No hinges or surprises and you will be way over target poundage with plenty of room to head to your final poundage.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:23:37 am »
Your wrong as wrong can be Eric. Some people have skills that others don't. Your paint brush is much too broad this time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:26 am »
Floor tiller to brace, that is your  problem. You may have failed to mention using the long string but one can't go from floor tiller to brace and expect good results.

I hate trolling...BUT. This just isnt true for everybody....for a novice with less than a few dozen bows then yes. Long string with a straight edge or gizmo will def help someone who hasnt developed and trained there eyes to see a nice arc of bend,and there body to feel how much weight it is. 90% of my tillering is done on the floor,and i go straight to brace. I know several others out there who do the same with GREAT results. Once braced i still dont use a straight edge,gizmo,or even a tiller tree with a pulley anymore. And id like to think the bows ive posted doing this speak for themsleves.

Edit..dang pearl drums hitting send before i could....lol  :laugh:

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:24 am »
I hope someday I can start to see the bend when floor tillering enough to go from floor tiller to brace, but  until then, the long string is my friend!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:08 am »
I guess I'm in the novice class even after 300+ bows.
I use a long string all the time.
It is so easy to see the bend of the limbs when using it.
More on my site.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:01:41 am »
Yeh, about the long string, tried it, not enjoyed the experience, both on this bow and bow number 3 which went bang when I overstressed a hinge after leaving it in the hot sun for an hour; weird, the [yew] bow felt sort of soft when I drew it - nuther lesson learned). Bows number one and two went straight from floor tiller to a low brace of about 2" and bows number 5 and 6 went from floor to short string with no problem (pair of yew character bows nearly finished), so for me the long string doesn't seem to be working out too well.  Bow number 7 is a really heavy war-bow and is in the very early stages; I like to bounce around several projects at the same time  :D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:22 am »
Chris and Bad Chris you notice I said some do, but I think you will both agree the for especially beginners Long string is much safer. There is never an [ALL DO] in self bow building but the majority of folks I know use a long string. Lots of way to skin a cat.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 10:08:45 am »
No doubt pappy, some benefit with a long string. Eric said a person cant build a good bow going from the floor to brace. He is dead wrong. SOME cant build a good bow without a long string is very true. Personally, don't care how anybody builds good bows. Just don't tell me it cant be done when I've done it a few hundred times.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:22 am »
Yep very true Pearl, in most parts of bow building there is no real wrong or right way, just what suits the person building it, but if a person is having trouble with hinges he may want to try something different. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:16:18 am »
When one rouses up a couple ole timers by comments and gets them involved in a topic starting to heat up ya know ya done good ...hahaha  >:D  :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:17:23 am »
yep  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good