Author Topic: BM bow?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline sleek

BM bow?
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »
Lost motivation for a while but im trying to put my nose back to the grinder. So I have a slat of maple from home depot and a strip of boo. Also a thin strip of erc sap wood as a core wood perhaps.  Any suggestions on this combo? Im thinking 50@28 62"ttt deflex reflex.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Onebowonder

Re: BM bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:48 pm »
62" TTT is kinda border-line short for an R/D with that weight and draw length.  ...but I know that the surest way to get you to do something is tell that it's not a good idea or can't be done that way. 

SO, I'll just wait for you to put the PIX up in about an hour or two of exactly such a bow.  Not sure how you're gonna get the glue to dry and cure in that time, ...but I expect you'll find a way if someone just tells you it shouldn't or can't be done!  :)

BTW - I really like the idea of using the ERC sapwood for a core.  It's super light weight and aught to be an excellent core material.  Make sure you taper it enough to leave plenty Maple for the tillering process on the belly. 

OneBow
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:03:29 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:32:47 pm »
CAN'T BE DONE.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline KS51

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 10:46:56 pm »
Out of curiosity since I've never done a Boo-Maple bow, do you trap the limb?  If so, how much?

I did, my first Boo-Osage bow this year and while it came out okay, it took a little more set than I like and I wish I had trapped it just a little (I think 5 degrees would have been about right ~8::7 ratio)  The Osage had an SG of around 0.76.

Ken

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:12:12 pm »
One suggestion sleek, change it from bm to mb lol, and i think the demensions you posted will work
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:46 pm »
One suggestion sleek, change it from bm to mb lol, and i think the demensions you posted will work
I agree Bub sounds like a "crappy" bow to me lol!

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 06:36:45 am »
Boo back,maple core,osage belly ;)

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »
Boo back,maple core,osage belly ;)

Sounds like a good combo.  Where can ya buy Boo at a good price Hawk..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
The bm bow build has begun. ( Yeah, I'm having fun with the name ) I tapered the core, and got it pre tillered. I question the wisdom of that, because a thicker core at the tips makes the tips lighter, considering the core is cedar sapwood. Next one I build I wont taper. Then compare the differences. Right now I am gluing up the handle. Going to glue the handle on, then I am going to deflex the glue up out the handle, and reflex upward towards the tips, increasing the reflex as it gets closer to the tips. Of course, this is all a fluid plan, I may change my mind in the middle of it all.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:43:27 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 12:45:20 pm »
I still have to shape the handle but the glue lines came out satisfactory.  I think I like the color pattern.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »

I need to tweek the brace shap still. I think im going to come in light weight on this one. Maybe 40# if im lucky. I think its gonna be a dog honestly. Already an inch of set and it took that floor tillering. I have the back trapped to 50%. Maple doesnt like bamboo. Note to future readers.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 01:13:18 pm »

Yup. Crappy bow. Got to 27" ( not this pic ) and the maple gave up. Started to chrysle. Waiste of time and materials.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 02:33:54 pm »
Looks great sleek, good luck with the build
Springfield, MO