Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 694060 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1875 on: March 07, 2016, 06:17:55 pm »
Wait... Mmmmmm maple syrup.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Online Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #1876 on: March 07, 2016, 07:34:34 pm »
No bow work today but I did finish off the first batch of maple syrup for the year.  I ended up with a little over 2 quarts of syrup.  My son ate everything beyond the 2 quarts.  He ate it still warm and with a spoon.   ;D

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1877 on: March 07, 2016, 09:03:50 pm »
Swampman he want sleep tonight

Offline Otter

« Reply #1878 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:19 pm »
Man I need to get busy again... I started working on a hhb stave and still have my snakey Osage stave that I have been drying out ... Nap times over need to make some wood dust

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #1879 on: March 08, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »
I think I FINALLY have figured out where the ring I'm after is.  Man the sapwood on this thing is ridiculously thick!  Or at least it seems that way to me, maybe it's average and I just don't know any better.  I finally have figured out a method that works with clamping, I was having issues with the stave popping out of the vice and wasting my time cursing it out and re-setting it. 

One thing I noticed is that when removing the sapwood in one direction it seems to tear out a bit, but in the other direction it's a lot smoother.  Is that normal for Black Locust? 

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1880 on: March 08, 2016, 04:42:20 pm »
Ranasp, I think that's normal for any wood - in one way your going "with the grain", the other way your going "against the grain", and going against it seems to pull your draw knife into the wood, causing the tearouts.  At least, that's how I see it in my head and in my experience.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1881 on: March 08, 2016, 04:59:50 pm »
Ranasp I never use a draw knife t remove the sap from black Locus. I only use a hatchet. Works a lot better for me and faster but I can never use the first ring I always have to chase several rings before I get a good one that I haven't hatcheted through.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #1882 on: March 08, 2016, 05:51:14 pm »
I used a hatchet to remove the bark and a bit of the sapwood, but I got nervous about whacking into the heartwood so I switched back to the draw knife. 

On the maple syrup note, I'm super jealous.  Every now and again my Canadian relatives would bring a vat of this stuff...Like super thick maple syrup, if you put a spoon in it and lifted you would risk bending the spoon.  Absolutely delicious stuff, but I've got a sweet tooth.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1883 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:18 pm »
We just had our Sugar on Snow supper at the local Grange, a once a year event as a benefit. It's hot maple syrup on a big bowl of snow for desert -- with pickles and donuts on the side. Ham, deviled eggs, baked beans, homemade dinner rolls and cole slaw is the traditional main course. I waited on tables as a volunteer -- had over 200 people attend. Sugaring season is just about over -- sap is still running here, but it might finish shortly because the temps are supposed to hit high sixties tomorrow.

Nice looking boiling setup, swampman!

Haven't worked on bows in almost a week, working mainly outdoors in the good weather. Pruning and clearing brush.  I picked up some nice buckthorn trunks while clearing brush today, and I have some wild apple I have to split up into staves, about 6-8" diameter. I'm holding off cutting more elm until bark slipping time, but there are a number of medium trees I have to remove shortly.

I did shoot some arrows through Plans A and B before supper last few days. Plus my older longer (64") 46# black birch bow. It seems to shoot faster than the newer ones even though Plan B is higher weight and Plan A is the same weight.

Being shorter, they seem to stack w/ lower early string tension. That would explain the lower speeds -- down 5-10 fps. compared to the longer bow. I might make a Plan C bow 70" and see what I can get out of it. Probably a pyramid board bow from black birch. I found a couple really nice grained BB planks in my stack and I'll probably draw one out tomorrow. Be nice to start posting something again.

Sorry to read about the breakages guys. I guess I'm about due for one, too.

I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1884 on: March 08, 2016, 09:41:13 pm »
I've  been working on my new shaving table and haven't got to work on bows either. But today we had 77 degree weather and fishing bug sat in bad. And after this evening I will be going every afternoon for the next few weeks so not much bow building is gonna get done.

32" 13lb stripper

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1885 on: March 08, 2016, 09:47:09 pm »
NICE!!!!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1886 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:44 pm »
Dang Gutshot, I don't blame you for fishing if the strippers that size are running.  Enjoy!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #1887 on: March 09, 2016, 06:38:50 am »
Gutshot,  only thing missing from that picture is the fillet knife  8) 8) 8)
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1888 on: March 09, 2016, 07:23:58 am »
Gutshot,  only thing missing from that picture is the fillet knife  8) 8) 8)
rich

Oh I got the knife out after the picture

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1889 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:33 am »
Nice striper gut....they don't make there way up the hudson for a little while yet where I'm at.  Looking good guys all around.  I've been stuck messing with plan c....it's got me hooked and I'll be messing around with it a little longer I'm thinking.

Starting to warm up here....should be able to do some work from the back of my truck on lunch at work.  Thats always a nice break from work.  8)