Author Topic: Musings...  (Read 5055 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Musings...
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:37:26 am »
I've been on here for quite a long time and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I realized quite a few years ago that one of the best ways to help others  enjoy making primitive bows and arrows was through the internet. I've taught some first-hand but the web  is wide ranging. This forum is a great way to help others on their journey as bowyers.

Thanks to Primitive Archer which, in addition to providing this forum, also gives us an excellent magazine devoted to the primitive arts.

I'm a teacher. I retired in 2006. I taught high school chemistry and science for almost 35 years and I really loved it. As a teacher, it was particularly gratifying to see former students become educators.

Here, I watch the "new" wooden bowyers help others and it makes me smile. It's a good thing to see. So all, keep inspiring others.

That's all. Thanks for listening.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mulberry

Re: Musings...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:42:58 am »
Well said Jawge! I'm green and I know with PA and lots of patients, I will create an adult weight bow....I'm appreciative!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:18:48 pm »
Thanks George. Over the years your advise has helped lots of new guys and some of us long time builders. It's folks like you that make PA what it is today.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »
thanks George for the musings,, I know I am constantly inspired ,, and feel the bar raising all the time, and would hope to inspire others in a positive way,, the new guys will soon realize what a positive activity bow making is,,that can hold your interest for a life time,, :) and its fun,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:51:36 pm »
No PA - no me. Don't get excited haters, Im not going anywhere! :)

The truth is I tripped over myself for a good while trying to figure out this primitive stuff. I found PA and *PRESTO*! There are so many talented and skilled teachers on here. I visit several sites, nothing and I mean nothing compares. The questions, answers and "beliefs" I see elsewhere are quite entertaining. This place is special and far from normal. It takes a lot of time in the hobby to realize just how special.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
Well said Jawge! I'm green and I know with PA and lots of patients, I will create an adult weight bow....I'm appreciative!

Let's hope not too many patients will be involved in your bow making :P

Jawge: thanks for your thoughts. This is indeed a good place to be  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:41:03 pm »
Thanks, Pat and Brad. Lots of good folks on here who are willing to help.
Thanks, Mulberry, Joachim. and PD.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
I hear ya, Jawge. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
Thanks for your musings George.
Well said Sir.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
Thanks George you have helped me as a new bow maker thru your post &  educational thread  you keep me inspired Thanks !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Green

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
As a relative noob to building my own selfbows, I really appreciate all you gentlemen who take the time to share your expertise, builds, insights, triumphs and failures with those of us who are thirsty for all tidbits.   So much knowledge shared, so much absorbed.  Thank You George, and all!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »
   SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTLY SAID

Sure would have been nice to have the web. when we started. Look at all the info at your finger tips today.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 05:30:35 pm »
Thank you. Good to see that everyone appreciates this fine forum and great magazine.
Keep on inspiring others to take up the wooden bow.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »
And you know what I really like about PA?
You folks hardly know who I am. I've never seen or heard any of you in real life. And yet I feel treated patiently, kindly, respectfully and with humor. As do most people here I guess.
And still this is the internet we're talking about! Yes, the place where people are generally more rude than in traffic (which is telling).

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 08:36:24 pm »
Well said George.Before PA ideas,facts,and myths subdued were limited.I gotta say though the TBB series kept me going till then though.Extraordinary bowyers on the PA.Nothing like seeing the common denominators of solving problems first hand.Very handy to tune into.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed