Author Topic: Arrow build-a-long  (Read 28104 times)

Offline DC

Re: Arrow build-a-long
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 11:52:31 pm »
Are the FG bows center shot? That may make a difference. I've never dealt with a center shot bow so I'm not sure what happens when you use heavy or light arrows in one. I've read that as long as you use the left feather in the left jig and vice versa it doesn't matter whether the bow is left or right.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2016, 06:46:23 am »
Both FG bows are center shot.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2016, 07:18:01 am »
. . . as long as you use the left feather in the left jig and vice versa it doesn't matter whether the bow is left or right.

+1, and all feathers on given arrow from same side of bird.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:30:33 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2016, 07:35:07 am »
pm sent.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2016, 06:40:15 pm »
OO......I'd just make a set of shafts for the bow your going to hunt with that shoot good for you like you did,and it sounds like the rest can be used for self bows too.Just need the spine lowered that's all.
You probably know this but you did'nt mention type of string being used.Probably the same but I know myself when shooting FF string I need about a 5# stiffer spine on shafts than with B50 string.Or in other words FF string used bends the shaft more than B50 does because it is a stiffer string hitting home.A 50# bow using B50 string shoots good with a shaft in the 45# range.A 50# bow using FF string shoots good with a shaft in the 50# spine range.About a 5# difference.Should be noticeable @ a 20 yard shot.Off non center shot self bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2016, 08:37:10 pm »
That's good to know I've been thinking about trying some ff string on my HHB bow. It doesn't stretch like B-50 either does it? Maybe not right thread for this but does flimish twist stretch more than endless loop? It's always kinda agrivateing shooting about the 1st 300 arrows have to keep shortening or twisting string to keep brace height. Release is harder to get consistent on low draw weight bow also. High draw weight you just start to relax and the weight does the rest.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2016, 09:11:49 pm »
You might be on to something Beadman.  I made the string for the lighter weight recurve.  I used FF.  The shorter heavy bow had a good string on it when I traded for it.  I don't know what it's made out of. 

BJ, I make flemish twist strings and stretch them on a jig.  I stretch them much tighter than they get on a bow.  It squeezes the extra wax out of the string.  I never have any string movement once I put a new string on a bow.  I'll try to find a picture of my string jig.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2016, 09:14:56 pm »
That would be cool Osage. Sounds like a good idea.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2016, 09:26:47 pm »
Found it.  I have holes drilled in the 2x4 so it's adjustable. When I'm tillering a bow I keep shortening my tillering string until I get it to full brace.  I measure the length of my tillering string.  After I make the new string for the bow I'll stretch it until I get the exact length I need.  JI'll remove as much excess wax as I can when its stretched tight.  Then I take a piece of leather and run it back and forth real quick to set the remaining wax in the string. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:43 pm »
Like it nice and simple

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2016, 08:32:48 am »
OO......Nice set up there.That's pretty much the way I make a string for a new bow too.On a 2X4 7' long.Only I use nails for the different lengths.Using length of tillering string at brace on newly tillered bow to make that exact same length for my 2 loop string.Kind of cumbersome compared to the little jigs out there but it works for me too.
I beg to differ with you about B50 not stretching even after you put the stretch on it though compared to FF.Just my opinion.I don't think it's like linen where it takes a stretched set then stays the same.It relaxes after being unstrung and stretches again during the draw.That's why those more extreme turkish bows just shoot B50 most times opposed to FF.The tips will blow apart with FF.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2016, 08:38:56 am »
Sorry Beadman. I wasn't referring to B-50 when I said my strings don't stretch.  I only use FF, D-97, and a couple other high performance strings.  I haven't used B-50 in years.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2016, 10:30:47 am »
. . . FF string used bends the shaft more than B50 does because it is a stiffer string hitting home.

Never considered string making diff. Thanks, Ed.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2016, 11:43:28 am »
I know this is late, but using a latex gloves to spin against instead of just wetting my finger, works amazing! Thanks- Brendan

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »
Yes it does.  If you don't have a glove you can put a ziploc bag over your finger.  It works also.