Author Topic: Help with point material decision  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Help with point material decision
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:33:30 am »
I'm having trouble deciding which material I want to use for some primitive heads for my uncles arrows. I'd prefer to use stone or obsidian, but I havnt learned how to knap yet. So I'm debating between bone and bamboo. These are arrows that are most likely just display arrows, but if I'm going through the work of making them I'd might as well make them functional. The arrows themselves are bamboo shafts with self nocks and full length turkey tail feathers stripped and tied on with a silk thread. I'm leaning towards bamboo but my friend is leaning toward bone. He thinks the bone will look better, I think the bamboo will funtion better. I plan to insert a steel pin behind the head to up te Impact weight. And either one I go with I will temper to help get a sharper edge. I might even make a few extra for myself and see how they perform on a whitetail.

So what are your all's opinions?

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help with point material decision
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:15:21 am »
Kyle, bone heads look cool on display arrows. IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:50:19 am »
Depending on how primitive you want to get, sheet steel is a good option.  Most surviving arrows in museums have steel heads.  Check out the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows and Arrows on Abebooks for ideas.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:33:57 pm »
I tried one time to temper bone. It made it brittle. I may have over heated it. However, id choose bone ove boo because bone wont split out like boo will. I dont want a fragmenting arrow head in a deer.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 01:35:34 pm »
I thought bone would do better, there was some video of a bone head going through a hog

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:42:42 pm »
I suggest you make one of each and see what you like best. But if it was me I'd go with bone.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline le0n

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:34:39 pm »
have you thought of using water buffalo horn?

sometimes you can find nice slices at the pet supply stores.

it'll take a nice polish too.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:44:18 pm »
I didn't thnk about the bamboo splintering, but I can see that happening easily when it hits a bone. I hadn't thoght of buffalo horn. Does it get pretty hard? I did find a big piece of bamboo for a few bucks at the hardware store and made a few quick points out of it. Here's one hatred up and ready to test out. I cranked out the points real quick with some no primitive methods. But tell be good for testing. I couldn't get it near as sharp as I expected with 320 grit paper. I might have to change my angles a bit. It balances just forward of the mid point and weighs about 480 gr. I'll see how this one does. Then I ll get se thinner buffalo horn and some attle femur and see how they perform. I'm not sure how I'll test then yet though.

Kyle

Offline le0n

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 04:40:13 pm »
we can't see the photos if you posted any.

i was under the impression that an edge can be more easily created on bamboo with a knife blade vs. sandpaper.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 04:53:03 pm »
Sorry, I guess I forgot the pictures. I'll try the knife to make an edge. I've never messed with it so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Kyle

Offline le0n

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »
if you can manage to keep the smooth outer layer of the bamboo integrated into your point design, you could end up with a 'harder' edge.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 05:14:58 pm »
I made some from mussel shell that turned out really impressive.

I've also made decent points from ground slate, but I prefer bone to slate.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »
I really like those DK.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 12:12:10 am »
Hey Dk how do those mussel point hold up? Or are they just for show? Nice lookin' points either way! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 01:03:20 am »
From what I've seen, it's a good bit harder than bone and they seem to hold an edge better. I can get them sharp enough to cut paper and shave hair. If they get dull, I just sharpen um back up. The next step up from them would be metal.

I haven't actually shot an animal with them, but I have no doubts it would do the job. I've used them when I made some "arrows of light" for the boy scout troops around town. Add some white fletchings to a arrow wood shoot shaft and they definitely look the part.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna