Author Topic: Hunitng bows?  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Kegan

Hunitng bows?
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:19:23 pm »
Up until now, I have always put a quiet strike plate and a dark stain on any bow that would be taken hunting. But I've run out of walnuts for stain, and wondered if a hunting bow really needs it? I don't think all of the Native Americans stained their bows- or did they? 

Offline DanaM

Re: Hunitng bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:46:59 pm »
I don't think a dark stain is necessary Kegan, more important is a non shiny finish and be still,
most prey species especially deer are keyed to movement ifin ya don't move they don't see
ya. Try charcoal if your out of walnut hulls.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:22:46 pm »
I dislike real dark as it is to easy to see the outline, especially if it moves.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jape

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
I'm new to bow-hunting but not to hunting. This year I have been stalking foxes, kangaroos, wallabies and one or two feral cats in local bush (not to shoot all of them, that is illegal here) for practice and recreation. Without fail, they sensed final movement of the bow and I felt sure the bow stick coming up, stained black, was part of that - so I broke it up with grey streaks and it works much better. I can lift it to aim at twenty metres and they watch but don't jump.

I know from experience too that simple grey-streaked camo works much better at dawn/dusk than black, so I would reckon you could just dull down and break up the outline of your bows. Charcoal would do that as suggested or you can leave wire-wool in vinegar for a good dye.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:24:28 pm »
I argee with Justin. Dark is no good and movement is no good. I find that you should keep the bow up and ready so when you draw the animal doesn't see the bow come up or down. Thats more important than any camo. Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:00:24 am »
Kegan, I am finishing up a HHB bow. I used bear grease and ground charcoal for a finish. On whitewoods(I have used it on hickory), the charcoal gets into the grain of the wood and makes for a nice coloration. Ash would probably take the stain well also as would other whitewoods.
   Something maybe not quite primitive enough for you is Rit Dye. dissolved in alcohol it makes a good transparent wood stain. Lots of groovy colors too! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 09:53:02 pm »
Thanks everyone! I have a 64" elm bow in the works, and didn't know how to finish it for up-close stalking. Charcoal and deer fat sounds good for this one :). Thanks!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:00:52 am »
Kegan here is a the elm bow I finished with charcoal and lard. I like it looks good and seals well.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5592.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 01:27:23 pm »
a buddy of mine did his with black walnut but rather than the whole bow he splattered it across the bow and it gave an excellent natural camo look to it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:13:23 pm »
Jamie, I would think you would just fill your mouth with charcoal and blow/spit it all over the bow like a primitive air brush.  ;) That is how they did some of the cave paintings.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »
Jamie, I would think you would just fill your mouth with charcoal and blow/spit it all over the bow like a primitive air brush.  ;) That is how they did some of the cave paintings.  Justin
     Prove it Justin I wanna SEE pics ! ;D ;D ;D.........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 08:39:14 pm »
You want to see pictures of the aboriginal that still do it? Because I am not filling my mouth with ash.  :P Justin

SW Utah

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:45:21 pm »
bacon fat works good for the finsh to seal from water. but that charcoal sounds like a very good idea for blending in. i know its good to cover the face while huntin. 8)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:46:40 pm »
Its also good for cookin ribs ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 09:27:25 pm »
Yes, I think the breaking up of the solid bow color is more important than making it dark. However, if you can match the colors of your bow to those of the woods you'll be hunting in, color might be to your advantage....
 ;)    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.