Author Topic: Out of commission for a while, especially bow building and shooting  (Read 12133 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Out of commission for a while, especially bow building and shooting
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 03:02:53 pm »
Yowza! man i hate to hear of good folks gettin hurt like this.... here's to a speedy recovery.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stoker

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 04:17:22 pm »
Wow.. Take care and heal well.. Time is your friend
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 11:37:22 pm »
Wow sounds like your lucky to be alive!
Good luck on your road to recovery. Cheers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 05:29:07 pm »
Wow, Kyle, you are one lucky dude. I hope your recovery is quick with no complications. Get in touch with Bryce, he can fill you in on leather and bead work. ;) ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 04:02:28 pm »
Hate to hear you laid up like this.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.  I'll be praying for you.   Just so you know, you can shoot with an eyepatch, just have to practice more.  I know this the hard way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:05:37 pm by EdwardS »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:19 pm »
Once I'm allowed to start lifting some weight I'll see what damage o can cause shooting one eyed. That's my limiting factor at the moment.

Kyle

Offline Parnell

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 11:30:31 am »
Man, glad your alive...wow.  I caught a piece of plastic in my my left eye on the 4th of July when I was 19 in '95.  Cut it in half.  Sucks, and my eye is screwed but it doesn't slow me down.  Just can't hit a curve ball anymore!  But doesn't affect me much otherwise.  Just need to be conscious of safety now with my healthy eye!!!

If I may offer a piece of advice...start wearing glasses even if you don't need them for safety ALL the time.  Just get some clear lenses.  Can't afford even the most simple injury now.

I'll keep you in my thoughts for your recovery.  Keep your spirit up!

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:38 pm »
Damn first the Black Cherry goes then this- tough breaks man!
Seriously though- really sorry to hear of your accident best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 10:58:31 am »
Kyle, I hardly know you but as I read your initial post, my guts got all in a knot and my heart started hammering.  I am so damned glad that you aren't hurt worse than what you are!  I am sure I am not the only person to feel this way, but you are part of OUR COMMUNITY and what affects you affects us.

I hope everybody reading this realizes it as well.  Because we set aside certain topics that are known to divide, we can focus on what joins us together.  If there is anything WE can do, don't hesitate to ask so we can work on it for you. 

Now rest up and get knitted back together. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »
Kyle, I hardly know you but as I read your initial post, my guts got all in a knot and my heart started hammering.  I am so damned glad that you aren't hurt worse than what you are!  I am sure I am not the only person to feel this way, but you are part of OUR COMMUNITY and what affects you affects us.

I hope everybody reading this realizes it as well.  Because we set aside certain topics that are known to divide, we can focus on what joins us together.  If there is anything WE can do, don't hesitate to ask so we can work on it for you. 

Now rest up and get knitted back together.

Well said JW,  Kyle that goes for me to bud.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »
Thanks a bunch everyone! I really appreciate all the kind words and offers for help. Out of all the sites I've been to and seen. I think this is the most close community of people I've seen. This has been especially prevalent any time some one is injured and at any get together. At those it just feels like a whole bunch of family getting together.

At this point it'll be just resisting the urge to rub that eye and from going crazy locked in the house when I can't even work on crafts at the moment. Since Im not allowed to looked down except for long enough to tie a shoe one or twice a day. I wish I could use this as an opportunity to work on my knapping in addition to my napping skills. I have lots of stone and free time. But I can't look down that long as I feel it's a bit safer to keep small sharp shards away from my eye for now. Maybe I can put together a couple of quivers I'm needing to when I can look down. I have no leather so the plan is bees waxed heavy canvas in a full enclosure style.

I just got done with another surgery today. This one was quick and simple. The ankle bone that is broke was more like a crack that ran though the tartsus bone splitting it vertically. But I'd hadn't shifted places. So they just number my leg for the next day or say with injections in two nerves. Then they just made a small <1" incision in the back of my ankle and inserted a screw. So right now my leg is numb as can be from the knee down and feels like it's fallen asleep. But it aure beats the pain that would be there. The next big update will be after next Friday, when I have another eye exam to see if the inflammation has gone away so they can go in and get out the rest of the lense material. So at this point in looking at a total of 3 incisions in my eye by the time it's all said and done.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 05:30:26 pm »
Glad to hear that you are still in good spirits bud. 

When that eye gets better try not to stain it to hard.  Especially try to not over compensate with your good eye.  It could cause some pretty good headaches.

I'll be looking for your next update.  Stay strong brother.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2017, 02:02:15 pm »
I'm finally set up for my next eye surgery. It's planned for Monday morning with a follow up the next afternoon. They're going to go in from the front and clean out the lens material, then go in from the side to get a good look at the retina.It sounds like it won't be too bad, but it's going to be very wierd being awake while they work on my eye. They'll numb it, but it'll still be wierd. Then as long as everything is good, it'll be 8-10 weeks until thy out in the lens and see how the cornea looks, and how bad the scarring distorts my vision.
But the vision is a little better, since I can see color and shadows when the lights are dim. And my ankle is healing up decent. I'm up to about 50% motion and the swelling is way down. So only a matter of time until I'm back to normal.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2017, 02:20:01 pm »
Good luck with the eye surgery.  Try to sit still for them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »
Thanks for the update Kyle, sure hope everything goes good.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise