Author Topic: It followed me home thread  (Read 253559 times)

Offline DC

Re: It followed me home thread
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2017, 11:45:14 am »
That works. I was a lineman for my first 3 years with the telephone company. That look like it would fit the big square nuts we had on the 5/8" bolts. We never used a hatchet(we had chain saws ;D) but I imagine in earlier times they would be quite handy. One less thing to pack up a pole.

Offline Patches

« Reply #331 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
Does anyone know what these tools are?  I am thinking they are some type of soldering iron, but I wanted to see if anyone had a better idea.  The ends are heavy copper rod (the top one is 3/4 in, middle is 5/8 in, and bottom is 1/2 in diameter) that are beveled to a sharp edge.  There is a screw holding the copper rod in the end of the tool.  These really did not "follow" me home.  I found them in the tool shed on my farm where I grew up, so they were already "home" when I found them.  They just followed me across the state to my where I currently reside  :)  I was thinking about using them for indirect percussion tools for knapping, but since there is only a small screw holding the rod in, I doubt they would last long if I used tem for that. 

Thanks for the help figuring out what these are.

Neal   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:08 am »
Yes, they are soldering irons. I guess, different tips for different uses.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2017, 09:37:12 am »
Yup Neal soldering irons. I believe they heated them in coals in forge. We have one in our shop we still use from time to time. When you heat them up they stay hot for awhile. I would think they probably used them for lead to but not sure. My grandpa use to make grain bucket elevators and sell them. They soldered the bucket seems with one. It was in a old coal forge when I found it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2017, 10:55:02 am »
My dad had a couple of those. He heated it with an old blow torch like this. Lighting the torch was fun. Lots of flames and stuff.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #335 on: June 07, 2017, 09:34:08 am »
I found a mountain bike on a pile of stuff with a "Free" sign in it. Looks to be in decent shape but the gal said that the derailer slips/clunks while you are pedaling. Been a long time since I messed with a bike and back then we only had 10 speeds to worry about.  ???  First off I'll see if the tires hold air and then go from there...  :-\

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:38 am »
Good luck with the bike Paul.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Patches

« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2017, 05:37:31 pm »
thanks for verifying those were soldering irons.  I may go ahead a see how they work as an indirect percussion rod. 

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2017, 06:27:53 pm »
Good luck with the bike Paul.
Thanks, the tires hold air and it coasts down hill OK. Oh, and the brakes work too..  (A)
Talked to the neighbor and he agrees it probably just needs oil and adjustment.  :OK

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #339 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:36 pm »
I bet there is a video on Youtube to tell you exactly how to adjust the derailer.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2017, 09:19:53 pm »
A couple of axes that were dropped off at Home. Wish I had taken some Before pictures. Here are what they look like after I fixed them up a bit. A Pulaski Axe and a Brush Axe.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2017, 09:33:40 pm »
Very nice axes!  Nice restore job.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #342 on: June 08, 2017, 04:04:55 am »
Good job Brian  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2017, 09:31:38 am »
1930s Case Bird Trout Knife recently picked up at a Garage sale by Buffalo Gobbler and then gifted to me.

Offline JEB

« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2017, 10:20:10 am »
An 8 out of 10 Wing, Swift Wing recurve, 66" and 29# @ 28 ". Beautiful bow picked up at a yard sale.  This is going to my grand daughter. Gave $100 for the Wing.

No cracks or twists but has a 3" sight bar screwed to the front of the bow.  Walked away from a 70's Black Widow, Ghost, take down.  It was painted all white, riser and limbs.  the riser was made of a very heavy metal.  He wanted $200 for the widow but I already have the same bow and don't shoot that one.