Author Topic: still can't hit much -- how is my form  (Read 8216 times)

Offline jeffp51

still can't hit much -- how is my form
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:51:57 pm »
My arrows hit right where I am looking--if I look at the broad side of a barn.  Can you see anything in my form that might explain it?  Here is a video with 15 shots from the side and the rear.  I try to inhale as I draw, and exhale on the release.  video should play if you take the spaces out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tjReC6iEBM&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:29:10 am by jeffp51 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: still can't hit much -- how is my form
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:15:10 am »
I can't get your link to work. Generally youtube  links are acceptable here so post it directly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:29 am »
Try it now

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:38:42 am »
Jeff, your form looks pretty good. Is your release smooth? Are you looking at the target or just a spot on the target where the arrow will go. Picking a spot and concentrating on that makes the arrow go there. Looking at the target you'll hit the target but not necessarily the spot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 11:02:05 am »
I concentrate on the smallest point I can see. My hand usually stays on my face when I release. If I shoot 5 arrows, one usually goes wide of the target, one is close to my aiming point, and the other three hit my 2-foot target somewhere. I miss left more than I miss right.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:07:18 am »
Are you hitting your arm guard? That could be messing you up.

You didn't show the target after, are they just all over or do they tend to go left/right?
Trevor

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:29:08 am »
Something that seems to be helping me(a bit) is the last thing I think about is my bow arm, holding it steady and keeping it pointed at the barn.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:24:15 pm »
Try shooting one arrow then retrieve it and shoot again. I find if I shoot groups the other arrows in the target can break my concentration. When hunting you usually only get one shot.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:38:57 pm »
I just shot about 50 arrows.  I noticed that sometimes the arrow spins smoothly into the target (not necessarily where I want it to) and sometimes the nock seems to spiral around--even though it sometimes still goes where I want it to--could this have something to do with my release?

In the video, I am only shooting at about 10 yards, so they look relatively good in the target--although not right on the bulls eye, and not tightly grouped

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42:33 pm »
Yes and a smooth, consistent release is critical.   ...but do try the one arrow at a time.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 01:02:31 pm »
Any suggestions on how to get a better release?  is it mostly about a secondary anchor point, or is there something else?

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »
one thing I noticed in the video is that you seem to be tightening your grip on the bow just before he release.(on a couple of the shots)  do you generally try to shoot with a loose or tight bowhand grip?

you mentioned natural shoot arrows? does one shoot consistently better? pick that for the "one arrow at a time" test

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 01:19:24 pm »
Eye dominance can screw a guy right up. I know of at least a few who switched from righty to lefty and became fine shots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 09:10:02 pm »
I am left eye dominant, and I shoot right handed, so that could be a factor, but every attempt to shoot left have been disastrous. I wonder how to compensate.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:31 am »
That's your problem. My cousin couldn't even shoot a set-up compound that way. His arrows went all over heck. He switched to lefty and shoots like a pro now. My advice? Get a 25-30# bow and start shooing lefty now. Its a damn tough trick to cheat eye dominance and win.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.