Author Topic: PBS Bow (Not for BOM)  (Read 9907 times)

Slivershooter

PBS Bow (Not for BOM)
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:04:08 pm »
Here are a few pictures of the donated bow I just shipped to Pittsburg for the convention:

Specifications fir the bow are: Osage selfbow, 58# @ 28” (it is drawn to 29" in the picture), 60” nock to nock, Big Horn Sheep Horn tip overlays, and Python snakeskin backing.  I built this bow last spring but only had eight coats of Tru-oil on it until this week.  I wasn’t fully satisfied (and still am not satisfied) with the tiller on this bow and built another one to donate but messed up and it came in at 48#’s.  I added another layer of sinew to that bow and have to wait a while for it to dry before redoing it, so they get this one.  The bow has a total of 14 coats of Tru-oil.  I started with three inches of heat induced reflex and ended up with about 1/2" when first unstrung.

Offline Badger

Re: PBS Bow (Not for BOM)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:07:19 pm »
Very nice! Cannot understand why you don't want it as a candidate for BOM. looks like a good candidate. Steve

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:49:28 pm »
That looks like a fine bow :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59:07 pm »
  Very Nice bow. I'm with Steve, a very worthy candidate. Really like those skins.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:27 pm »
Dang Walt she's a beauty thanks for sharing. Love the tips very nice
attention to details.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:34:22 pm »
sure is purty. i like the python skin
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:43:05 pm »
Very nice bow Walt. I'm with the others. You should have it up for BOM.

You say that you added another layer of sinew on the bow that came in light. Does that mean that this bow has sinew as well?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »
Walt, very nice bow brother... I wish i could build one that nice... you have some amazing skills... thanks for the inspiration Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:16:50 pm »
Nice work Walt.  Tiller looks pretty good, what would you change about it?  Teh python is a nice change of pace from rattler.  Can you get two backings from one python skin?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 01:02:37 am »
Nice bow Walt. I like the python skin. I've had some laying around for a while, I might have to bust it out and use it.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Slivershooter

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 01:21:29 am »
Everybody, thanks for the compliments.

Mark, There isn’t any sinew on this bow.  Whenever I donate or give a bow to somebody, I back the bow with either rawhide or sinew.  The Python skin is thicker then the antelope rawhide I use to on bows, looks nicer, and functions/protects the same as rawhide.

Mike, that was good article on your bear hunt in PA.  I want to see some pictures of the shavings from that bow you are making.

Lennie, The bottom limb isn’t quite right and the top one needs to bend a little more towards the tip.  I am really pleased with the python: I managed to back two bows with one set of skins, it was wide enough to split down the middle and use on two bows less then 1 ¾”.  The only problem is they aren’t available anymore.  The snakes were being harvested as delicacy in Japan and the Far East and the skins were a side product.  The connoisseur’s of the meat felt it was too tough and the market dried up: No more python skins.  The skins available on the auction site are a different variety then the ones I used and look different when put on a bow.

Ryano, I will buy it if you decide not to use it.  If anybody finds another source for these skins (I believe they are Burmese Pythons, though I am not certain) let me know. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 01:46:07 am »
Very nice bow! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 05:06:02 am »
Burmese pythons are ow being caught in the everglades, very well established in fla now. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:34:42 am »

walt!  -  that's one fantastic looking bow! like every detail about it.
the skin looks really good; have a tanned boa skin so i can tell a rawhide of such kind would give the bow protection! the size it is it would make backing for 4 bows! - planing on making a quiver from it that i will offer for trade.
frank

ps: to bad the bow doesn't go into BOM - i guess we all feel the same: eventhough it reduces one's chances to win BOM we would want to see your bow in!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 06:58:05 am »
Beautiful bow ,very nice job.Love the detail work. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good