Author Topic: advice for job interview, beard vs shaven  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

advice for job interview, beard vs shaven
« on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
I'm looking for your alls advice on this. Clean shaven vs having a beard when inverviewing for a job.
My opinion is that it depends on te particular job and if the facial hair is groomed and maintained. My buddy is in the clean shaven camp.
My situation is, I'll be interviewing for a position as a jailer at the local sheriffs department in a few days. I've had a beard for a couple of years now and feel like I keep it maintained well. The guys at the sheriffs department never mentioned anything about it when they told me about the position coming open. And I've talked to them a few times since then without them saying anything. My friend keeps saying it's better to shave it off. I have no problem doing so if it means job or no job, as I need to move onto something better with insurance and retirement programs. But at the same time I don't want to get rid of it if it won't make a difference. I feel as if it keeps me from looking 12 years old. Here's a picture for reference. It'll probably get trimmed up a bit even if I leave it. So what's your alls opinions?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: advice for job interview, beard vs shaven
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 05:00:35 pm »
Kyle, even with the hair, your appearance is that of a young man.
Imo, by keeping the hair, you're rolling the dice. I would recommend playing it safe.

GOOD LUCK with the interview!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:27:00 pm »
From a tactical point, id shave it and cut it short. Especially as a jailer. In hand to hand, your whiskers make a great handhold to pull that pretty face of yours into someone's knee. At least look up their grooming requirments for the position, call another county and ask them if you are still uncertain.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:38:34 pm »
Odds are they have a clean face rule. Various masks have to fit at a moments notice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:40:18 pm »
I suggest trimming it down short.  If I had a job interview tomorrow I would trim mine down short or even into a goatee no matter what the job position was.  The first impression is very important.  Good luck
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:48:12 pm »
Fundamentally, the most important thing at a job interview is how you present yourself, not the specifics of your appearance (although appearance does matter).

That said, you do have a young-looking face (as do I so I can relate). I'd go with a very short setting on your beard trimmer and get a nice, clean, military-looking type haircut at a good barber shop.

Best of luck my friend!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
Another vote on shaving. Right, wrong, or indifferent, people make judgements on others about their appearance. Some people like beards, some don’t. You don’t know what the hiring board may think, so don’t risk it. I am in a very stable position, and wear a beard in some form at all times except when I periodically travel to the corporate office in Texas, then I’m clean shaven.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »
Kyle,
I agree with the shave/short trim goatee.  Did you see any other jail personnel with beards?  You will probably look young when you are 50 >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 07:11:37 pm »
I don't think you would lose any points for not having a beard and you may lose some for having a beard. Lose the beard. It'll grow back. I had to cut my hair 4 times before the telephone company was happy. From shoulder length to preppy. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 07:28:31 pm »
I suggest trimming it down short.  If I had a job interview tomorrow I would trim mine down short or even into a goatee no matter what the job position was.  The first impression is very important.  Good luck

I gotta go with Clint here but--- and I am not switchy-- I like your look in your post quite a lot.
Get the job and then let it grow on THEM.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 07:46:34 pm »
I'll go with the short for now if that'll get me by before shaving. I'm afraid of my face breaking out or getting a rash or something since it's been a while since I've shaved. I worked at fast food for a couple years where I had to shave. It sort of makes it so you don't want to unless you have to. But I just needed the extra push to do it. I knew I should, but that extra nudge helps. Almost 26, and by tomorrow I'll look like I'm a high school freshman again. I'll have to post up a before and after. Luckily I know everyone there pretty well. I even graduated high school with one of the deputies and my grandmother helped the sheriff with his campaign.

Kyle

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:34 pm »
Gee what are you worried about then? Good luck tomorrow!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:31 pm »
As the thespians say "Break a leg"!  We're rooting for you.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:04 am »
Shave it till you are there for awhile.. I've worked for my company for almost 35 years and have shaved mine at least 10 times. But, to be honest, doubt you will get hired with it for a Sheriff Dept., they tend toward the military cut.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:01 am »
I liked upstate's idea re the military style haircut.

Glad you're not going in with one of those Schneider-looking bird nests!!   >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857