Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed...now w/ osage belly  (Read 31262 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along...now boo backed
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:24 am »
Oh, I don't feel bad about it, Steve. 1 out of 2 ain't bad odds for backed lemonwood bows.
I added an osage belly yesterday and took it off the form and unwrapped the tire tube wrap just a few minutes ago. I'm gonna give it a few days before stressing it. Maybe take it to the Classic to finish it up. Not real proud of the glue lines but this will be strike 3 on this one if it doesn't work out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2019, 03:53:03 pm »
Hi Pat, Was the uneven reflex from the glue up, due to incorrect placement of clamping? It can happen if you reflex a stave in the middle, then offset the length of the limbs. The reflex ends up asymmetrical.  When I plan a bow with asymmetrical limbs I place the centre of the reflex at the centre of where the handle will be.

I have a batch of lemonwood, and every slat from it, one half of the length will stay more reflexed than the other, right out of glue up. Nothing seems to correct it, not weakening the limb or heat. I cut up several boards at the same session and now they are randomly mixed together so I have no way of knowing which is a problematic board and which is fine.

Although this doesn't happen often, I'm coming to the conclusion that on future boards that I will cut them to billet lengths, mark the sequence and orientation so both limbs have the same internal stresses.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2019, 04:40:51 pm »
Hamish, first I don't build many backed bows but I try to pre-tiller the belly side where the limbs have a nice even sweep so when I glue up (theoretically) I get a smooth evenly reflexed blank. I think the problem was me getting in a hurry and not getting the belly tiller evenly.
The one limb was stiffer than the other but I don't know if it was me or the wood.  I appreciate your insight.
 I'm better at deconstructing staves into bows than I am at putting boards together to make bows.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2019, 12:34:10 am »
That's a hard struggling, I'm following with interest what you are doing ...
Good luck Pat!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I got her cleaned up today rounded the osage belly edges and cleaned up the edges of both limbs. This time I allowed the osage belly to ride up the fades and I blended this into the handle. I'm gonna take this to the Classic and retiller her there. At least if she blows I'll be in good company.  (--)   ;D   Here are a few pics.   More after the Classic.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:33:07 pm by Pat B »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
...and a few more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Well, I got her shooting yesterday. Her name is "Wilsheblo"  ::) . Put about 2 dozen arrows through her. She shoots pretty good, nothing special but pretty good. She came out at 47#@26". I'll add 5 to 6 coats of Tru-Oil with a satin poly over spray then a hemp cordage handle wrap with a floppy rest.
 Here are a few pics...

Offline burchett.donald

Nice looking bow Pat, love the bend...
                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline hoosierf

I like it.

Offline bradsmith2010

very nice congrats on that,,one,, :)

Offline DC

That turned out nice. Some bows just take a little longer than others :D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Been following this. Glad you got ‘er done. Very nice sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Thanks guys. I don't make many anymore so I do what I can to help them succeed. So far so good on this one.   :OK

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Wow! that was a heck of a save pat and it looks good too!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline M2A

Great read, thanks for the build along. Cant wait to see pics after the finish goes on.
Mike