Author Topic: First attempt unsupervised  (Read 3875 times)

Offline ohma2

Re: First attempt unsupervised
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 09:50:26 am »
Hat PatM said makes alot of sense.good time for some practice with the chasing of a ring.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 01:41:35 pm »
CJ,
X2 on 240's comment!  If he has a selfbow shooting already, he's way ahead of me :BB >:D!  He seems quite interested in the old ways, I hope he retains that interest and carries it forward and increases his knowledge.  He is on the right path, and there are many highly skilled folks on the site!  He is at the stage where life starts getting in the way, however!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:30 pm »
CJ,
 He seems quite interested in the old ways, I hope he retains that interest and carries it forward and increases his knowledge.  He is on the right path, and there are many highly skilled folks on the site!  He is at the stage where life starts getting in the way, however!
Hawkdancer

He's a pretty good kid. We have our moments like anyone would be he is super conscious of being "natural" with his foods and what he does. If there is a more natural way he wants to learn more about it. I try to support him in that decision as best as I can.

I was a traveling cowgirl for many years. I had a CDL for when times were slow and packed mules during hunting season. Later, I became a farrier. These were all things that I had wanted to do from an early age as a means of financial support. My parents were busy working a lot and I didn't have the opportunity to go learn these trades until I was older. Plus, they pretty much said supporting myself doing that was impossible. I can't really say I blame them. I live with my dog and horse on the road out of a tiny 2 horse trailer for years. It wasn't how they wanted their daughter to live. I was tough, I wont lie about it. But those were some of the best years of my life. I figured if I can start his education on the how to's and what not's of living that sort of life style  now he's all the further ahead should he decide to head down that path like I did. It's also a chance for me to revisit/share some of the best times I have ever had with him. I'm still living by a trade and it allows me to schedule around all these archery events for us to attend. I'm so glad we have this in common. Plus, he is meeting and building friendships with those who are some of the best out there. You can not but that type of education in any college or trade school out there.
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:12 pm »
I believe he has a great role model to follow!  The best of times to both of you!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 12:28:02 pm »

He is currently saving for a trip to take some classes on English longbow bowmaking, arrowsmithing and forging arrowhead in England. I'm hoping to get him there the late Summer of 2019.

You might consider going to one of Ravenbeak's bow making  courses. Probably cheaper than going to England and Jamie makes awesome bows. Just Google "Ravenbeak"

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:25 pm »

He is currently saving for a trip to take some classes on English longbow bowmaking, arrowsmithing and forging arrowhead in England. I'm hoping to get him there the late Summer of 2019.

You might consider going to one of Ravenbeak's bow making  courses. Probably cheaper than going to England and Jamie makes awesome bows. Just Google "Ravenbeak"

I'll make sure to do that. Cahl has always be fascinated with England since he was little. When we ran across this place and I told him it was in England I could see the wheels turning. It's more of an experience to get to go where he has always wanted to visit and get to make a bow. We plan on taking some courses here in the States too.

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »
DC, I just looked that up and WOW! We are going to add this to our "we gotta do this" list. I better file for my son's passport now. ;) Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 03:01:19 pm »
Thanks for the response, sounds like you are well on your way.  Exciting plans...looking forward to seeing what he comes up with and progress.
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 01:10:53 am »
Hope to see y'all at MoJam in July!  Depends a bit on health, dog sitters, money, and all that other life stuff!  If We're there, the one pole will stick out - hopefully, I gave the silent box for he generators box
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 09:08:24 am »
Hope to see y'all at MoJam in July!  Depends a bit on health, dog sitters, money, and all that other life stuff!  If We're there, the one pole will stick out - hopefully, I gave the silent box for he generators box
Hawkdancer

MoJam is definitely on our list. Like you said it depends on finances and a horse sitter for us. If my husband stays home it's not such a big deal but if he wants to join us we need to have the critters taken care of. Not sure if I would haul that big horse trailer down there or not. Might bring a tent. Depends on the weather situation. Hoping to have one of those nice Honda silent generators by then. My husbands said something about building one of those silent boxes for the generator but that thing is a giant brick. It's hard for me to get in and out of the rig alone and I barely use it. I can go with out but sometimes it's just nice to have at this point in life ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:03 pm »
Use the top rings for practice.   Whichever one ends up perfectly chased, use it.

As much as it hurts me to agree with him, he has the right of it!  I always recommend chasing ONE ring at a time and chase that ring like it is the last chance at the last piece of wood on earth!

Your son sounds like a great kid.  He's welcome to post in here as well and he wouldn't be the youngest bowyer to run around this camp!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.