Author Topic: Looking for a better Rasp  (Read 6660 times)

Offline shackleton

Looking for a better Rasp
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:37:50 pm »
 So I started my 1st bow today and I was using a Farrier's combo rasp.I was only using the coarse side today but I was a little disappointed in the amount of wood I could take off.That said this is the 1st time using this tool and maybe this is the best I can expect but I was wondering is there any that are better as far as a coarse rasp.I saw Nicholson #49 on 3Rivers archery site.Would this be better ?
 Scott

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Looking for a better Rasp
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:43:28 pm »
Shinto rasps are a good replacement for the farries rasp the make quick controlable work on wood , for cabinet rasp I switched from Nicholson to Grobet the stay sharp much longer & cut smoother !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline shackleton

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:52:45 pm »
Shinto rasps are a good replacement for the farries rasp the make quick controlable work on wood , for cabinet rasp I switched from Nicholson to Grobet the stay sharp much longer & cut smoother !

I was looking at rasps on Woodcraft site...would a saw rasp as a opposed to a regular rasp be what I'm looking for??
Scott

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:11:02 pm »
If a Farrier's rasp disappoints  you I doubt any other rasp will make you much happier.  You probably aren't using it properly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:47 pm »
...or expecting too much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:27 pm »
Most guys usaly use some kind of coarse rasp for removing wood ruff & fast the shinto saw rasp fits that bill the only down side its a flat rasp with no half round & somthing thats a little more surgical for removal like a cabinet makers rasp which usaly is a half round style for working into fades , every body has there own preferance of what they use I can only speak to what I like , also a card scraper or assorted card scrappers are valuble for scraping limbs and evening them up !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Msturm

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »
I am a big fan of the farrier's rasp. I do the rough out with a hatchet or machete. and its all rasp from there till floor tiller then scraper from floor tiller to finished bow.  Removing wood slowly will save you a lot of time in the long run. Going too fast has cost me a lot of bow wood and wasted time.

Hope that helps.

Msturm

Offline shackleton

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »
I am a big fan of the farrier's rasp. I do the rough out with a hatchet or machete. and its all rasp from there till floor tiller then scraper from floor tiller to finished bow.  Removing wood slowly will save you a lot of time in the long run. Going too fast has cost me a lot of bow wood and wasted time.

Hope that helps.

Msturm
Sounds like its more my beginner impatience then the rasp ;D
Scott

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 04:26:52 pm »
Go slow. Slow is good.

There are buildalongs on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:30:32 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline shackleton

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 04:44:48 pm »
Go slow. Slow is good.

There are buildalongs on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
[/quote
Thanks George.
Scott

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:00:19 pm »
A surform plane with a round bottom removed wood faster than a ferrier's rasp. I use both depending on the wood.
Eric

Offline ksnow

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 05:01:44 pm »
If I need to go faster than a farrier's rasp, it's to the band saw. But, faster work means faster mistakes too. Slow down, listen to the wood, enjoy the journey.

Kyle

Offline Grandpa Bill

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 06:20:35 pm »
I  will second the Shinto rasp.....it is by far my favorite rough/fast wood tool.  I use the bandsaw to cut out the front profile I am looking for and the Shinto to adjust width and thickness until I am happy with the floor tiller.  Then it is to a heavy scapper I purchased from Ken Vilars of Villars Custom Bows to work out the final tiller.  Now the quickest but it keeps me from taking off too much.

Bill
Aim Small - Hit Small - Repeat

Offline cadet

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 08:19:35 pm »
Shinto saw rasp from me, too; flat and half round dreadnought rasps/files are handy too.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »
I got a Nicholson #49 and it eats through wood very quickly. I also have a Shinto, Sureform, and 4-way rasp (as well as various rounded and flat files). You will find uses for all of them!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."