Author Topic: 1st Annual Mojam Broadhead Flightshoot  (Read 12954 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: 1st Annual Mojam Broadhead Flightshoot
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 10:22:02 am »
Hopefully, they are just procrastinating!  I think it will be neat to see how far my everyday gear will shoot.  There may even be someone older than me on the line!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 11:56:08 pm »
Leonwood,
Come on over!  It's only a matter of time, money, distance, visas, and all that other government b. Stuff!  Not familiar at all with the geoplitcal map of he Netherlands, but my mother's family is from there!  We can always find a place to camp!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 02:44:00 pm »
   I wonder if guys could weigh in with an opinion on this event. Either Yea or Neigh. If no feel free to give a reason. We seem to be getting a low response on this so it may not be a good idea???

Steve,
Like Leon, I am not sure if it is worthwhile to comment at this point on the specifics, especially as it may be quite some time before there is a shoot in my area. My only thought is that you might want to keep the classes flexible and rules tentative until after you get some feed back from the participants at mojam. 

I do like the 10gpp  idea for it's equalization factor. Any other ways to equalize results between equipment seems worthwhile.

Maybe different distance shooting stations/flight lines for different classes of bows? something so that the landing zone looks competitive? arrows to be retrieved and winners declared after all classes finish shooting?

Maybe making adjustments on the shooting station distance on an annual basis for generalized classes will be easier than developing specific bow rules?

When watching the olympics recently, I was reminded that the events where they were racing against the clock were not near as fun to watch as  side by side competitors.

I am assuming that this event is designed to appeal more for clubs and get togethers like mojam? 

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 03:11:55 pm »
  Willie, at 10 grains per pound all bows should shoot in the same distance range. The only difference will be the archer and the speed factor of the bow. I am refining the rules slightly each day. They are slightly different than where I started. The heavier arrows have a slight advantage in that they carry a little better in the air but they also require a bit more fletch to stay under control so I dropped any restriction on fletching, it will be u to the archer how much fletch he wants to use. This should help a little in nullifying the advantage.

Offline willie

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 04:10:15 pm »
  Thing slike classes. Do you favor a class for recurves, d/r bows, straight bows and Elbs in both self and composite. I like the idea of a few classes but some feel it may complicate things. All the data will be taken anyway so sorting out is all we really need to do.

the 10 ggp will hopefully negate the need for weight classes. I guess my comment was more about equalizing the different type construction classes. if the flight line handicaps for each construction types are adequate, then an elb self bow might be able to outshoot a laminated or a R/D.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 05:33:55 pm »
You know that I'm in and that I will help any way I can.  I just got back from OJam and there was a lot of interest in this event.  I had many people say that they would attend, and several want to compete.  Don't be discouraged by the fact that you're not getting lots of feedback online yet...Lots of these guys don't play much online.
 :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
  Thing slike classes. Do you favor a class for recurves, d/r bows, straight bows and Elbs in both self and composite. I like the idea of a few classes but some feel it may complicate things. All the data will be taken anyway so sorting out is all we really need to do.

the 10 ggp will hopefully negate the need for weight classes. I guess my comment was more about equalizing the different type construction classes. if the flight line handicaps for each construction types are adequate, then an elb self bow might be able to outshoot a laminated or a R/D.

Currently an ELB holds a Broadhead world record in the unlimited class shooting against recurves and D/R bows that were much heavier.  I don't think a handicap will be needed. The differences in styles won't be all that great. But we do plan on giving out awards based on different classes.

Offline willie

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 02:23:29 pm »
Steve, are there any restrictions on what the arrows have to be made from?

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 02:39:41 pm »
    Willie all wood arrows, no restrictions on fletching as first listed. Any size fletch is ok.

Offline willie

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »
Having a good selection of regulation arrows on hand for the new guys to shoot with would seem to be helpful for a first time event.
It would be a hoot if some guy that never shot flight before, made the record setting shot. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:49 pm »
Having a good selection of regulation arrows on hand for the new guys to shoot with would seem to be helpful for a first time event.
It would be a hoot if some guy that never shot flight before, made the record setting shot.

I have seen it happen ands wouldn't surprise me if it happens here. I fully expect some very good shots will be made over the weekend.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 10:20:09 pm »
I know that you make your 'broadheads', but is there a commercial broadhead that works best?  Also, if the broadhead will hit your finger at 28", I suppose it needs to be mounted at closer to 28 3/4"?
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 11:10:35 pm »
Im interested for certain! Im a short bow guy and would be interested in seeing a class or some recognition made for shorties pulling all the way back to 28.

Badger knows how short I make em, as i have had a few conversations with him about my design. Steve, is there any merit to a short bow long draw class?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 07:01:43 pm »
Im interested for certain! Im a short bow guy and would be interested in seeing a class or some recognition made for shorties pulling all the way back to 28.

Badger knows how short I make em, as i have had a few conversations with him about my design. Steve, is there any merit to a short bow long draw class?

Sleek we will be taking data down on all bows entered as they did in the first Mojam, Broadhead rounds are basically hunters rounds so maybe as we enter the data we could sort for length and call anything under 60" brushbow classes.

Offline JonW

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 08:27:42 am »
I think this will be a fun event. After talking to some guys at OJAM I think thete will be some newcomers to MOJAM this year. Steve if you could, nail down the rules for arrows and broadheads so I can get to making some.