Author Topic: 1st Annual Mojam Broadhead Flightshoot  (Read 13070 times)

Offline Badger

Re: 1st Annual Mojam Broadhead Flightshoot
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:55 am »
   I will post the final rules in a couple of days.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29:59 am »
From shooting at the clout shoot at Mo Jams' annual bow making gathering I'm pretty sure there is enough room for this event.At least 240 to 250 yards I would say,but have really never actually measured it.If I'm wrong I sure hope someone can correct me from a member of the club there as I'm not a member myself.I was thinking shooting diagonally on that course would make sure enough length would be there with a 25 to 30 yard width shooting lane.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:05 am »
From shooting at the clout shoot at Mo Jams' annual bow making gathering I'm pretty sure there is enough room for this event.At least 240 to 250 yards I would say,but have really never actually measured it.If I'm wrong I sure hope someone can correct me from a member of the club there as I'm not a member myself.I was thinking shooting diagonally on that course would make sure enough length would be there with a 25 to 30 yard width shooting lane.

Well, the field has never been to short for any of my shots at the clout shoots...  (SH)
 ::)

Offline gfugal

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
I love the concept of flight shooting! I probably wouldn't go to that, considering the Bonville flight shoot is practically in my backyard seeing that I live in UT. I agree that we should try to do stuff like 10 gpp for a better comparison, but I don't think you should segregate by type of bow too much or you cut down on the competitors in each class. What about draw length? a 50 lb bow is 50 lbs at 28" inch draw but if you draw it to 29" while everyone else is drawing at 28" it seems like you would have an unfair advantage. I was watching a video about the Kahtra and it's theorized that the benefits of it increasing speed is merely due to the fact that it instantly increases your draw by a bit right before release. Even if it was 50 lbs at 30" I would think it would be more likely to shoot faster than a 50# at 28" but I'm not sure about that.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2018, 01:21:27 pm »
gfugal- the draw weight will be measured at 28" prior to the qualifying shot and arrows will have broadheads mounted so that the base of the broadhead hits the riser at 28" to insure that all arrows are shot at the same draw length.  It wasn't my idea, it was way too smart for me...  :BB
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Stringman

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »
Well I’m not sure I’ll have anything competition ready but we’ll see.

Offline willie

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:07 pm »
I love the concept of flight shooting! I probably wouldn't go to that, considering the Bonville flight shoot is practically in my backyard seeing that I live in UT. I agree that we should try to do stuff like 10 gpp for a better comparison, but I don't think you should segregate by type of bow too much or you cut down on the competitors in each class. What about draw length? a 50 lb bow is 50 lbs at 28" inch draw but if you draw it to 29" while everyone else is drawing at 28" it seems like you would have an unfair advantage. I was watching a video about the Kahtra and it's theorized that the benefits of it increasing speed is merely due to the fact that it instantly increases your draw by a bit right before release. Even if it was 50 lbs at 30" I would think it would be more likely to shoot faster than a 50# at 28" but I'm not sure about that.
As I understand it, the arrow can not be longer than 28 or too light for the bow, so all's you really need to compete is an arrow that qualifies.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2018, 03:34:24 pm »
Is there a stipulation on forward facing handles? DC's recent bow is an example of one (although very minor to what they could be). by bringing the handle forward let's say 2 inches from the back of the limbs you, in essence, increase your draw by 2 inches if you measure from the back of the riser. But I'm sure you've already thought of this and have some measure in place
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 03:46:41 pm »
The way I understand it from the throat of the nock to the base of the broadhead with it being mounted 90 degrees to the bow so no more than 28" on any of the bows.Other details will be posted which I don't think are too complicated.It'll be cheap fun.Awards I think will be given from 180 yards on up the way I understand it.
I just thought maybe someone familiar with the area would have an exact idea of the distance there.It looks to me like plenty of room.
BowEd
Ed

Offline avcase

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »
You probably can zoom in on the area and measure the size of the field with a satellite view on Google Earth or other mapping program.

Alan

Offline JonW

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »
We may have to use the golf course  :o

Offline Badger

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »
   I need to find out for sure before we go to far and find out we can't do it. A couple of guys on the committee feel like corner to corner they can get 286 yards. I would feel safe with 250 yards minimum. I don't know if they will carry as far at that elevation as they do at Wendover but from my experience shooting at sea level I honestly don't notice any real difference. Maybe 10 yards at the most.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2018, 07:44:20 am »
I just looked on google maps and you can pick a spot, right click, and then measure to another spot...it looks like about 300 yards...
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.114072,-93.1657105,358m/data=!3m1!1e3
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2018, 08:03:48 am »
Good deal Bob.Thanks for checking that out.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2018, 08:20:19 am »
    It looks like we will have to start from way back in the corner. We will need a spotter to make sure the field is clear before we open up for shooting