Author Topic: spliced yew suggestions, now sinew backed and retillering  (Read 17737 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: spliced yew suggestions
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 07:29:36 am »
Thanks guys
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2018, 07:37:06 am »
I’m assuming thats the unbacked full draw?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 07:14:00 pm »
It really does look great, Pat.  I like that braced shot and the f/d.  Bummer to read you feel it's sluggish because all the pieces look well thought out.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2018, 09:37:05 pm »
Ryan, yes, that is an unbacked full draw.
 Steve, I didn't chrono just not what I expected. I think once I add sinew and add some reflex I'll be more satisfied. That was my original idea anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 09:04:38 pm »
I'm finally getting around to adding a sinew backing today. I added a little reflex by pulling the handle down and secured it with a strip of sinew. The sinew backing will incorporate this sinew hold down and I'll cut off the excess after the sinew dries.

First though time to prep the limbs. I scrubbed the limbs with Dawn dish soap then rinsed with boiling water.

Then I put the bow on the form and pulled it in to a slight reflex with the sinew then sized the back with the wormed hide glue. I think the wet surface helps the glue sink into the wood....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 09:14:25 pm »
 I started at the handle with the first sinew then continued down the center of each limb and filled in out to the edges and slightly over the edges. 

You can see how the hold down sinew will blend right in with the backing sinew.

I'll give this a couple of days to dry some so I can see any voids and fill them with sinew to even out the backing.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 12:52:45 pm »
I think you are right Pat,, if the tips can come a bit further forward with the sinew,, I think it will shoot a bit harder,, I have found that with most my sinew bows ,,,, if the tips can come in front of the handle they shoot quite a bit harder,, Im sure yours gonna shoot great with the sinew on there,, the reflex and reduction in mass when you tiller will compensate for any weight you added with the sinew, :)

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 11:16:57 am »
Good idea with the double boiler setup; I’ve been thinking about how to do something without investing in a hot plate. Momma’s candle warmer only gets me to about 105 Degrees.

Looking forward to this one. Looks great so far. I have yew billets I’m going to start this winter.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2018, 07:22:27 pm »
Glad to see this one on the board again Pat. I've got a good feeling about this bow.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »
Hoosier, I think I paid $5 for the crock pot at a thrift shop. It works well. It doesn't have controls so if it gets too hot I either add cold water or just unplug it. It stays hot for a while after unplugging.
Thanks upstate. I added a course of bison sinew today so it's gotta dry for a while. Once it's cured I'll have to retiller and reduce some weight too. Once that's done I'll skin her.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 09:31:23 am »
I added another layer of sinew yesterday. This was bison leg sinew which is pretty long. I presoaked the sinew in warm water to soften it and when I dipper it in the hide glue and squeegeed off the excess glue I had ribbons of sinew to lay down. This gave me a pretty smooth top layer. I also brought the blocks in a bit. This put the tips about 1 3/4"  past the handle. Now we'll see if the sinew will maintain that reflex or if I'm lucky add a bit more.
 Here are a few pics from this morning...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: spliced yew suggestions now sinew backed and retillering
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2018, 09:03:43 am »
A month after I added the last of the sinew I released the bow yesterday. She came out holding about 2" of reflex. As you can see from the pics the reflex is uneven but the bow has taken on so much extra weight I'll be able to retiller and I think the reflex will even increase some as I weaken the limbs. Here are a few pics...

...to be continued...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:00:02 am by Pat B »

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: spliced yew suggestions, now sinew backed and retillering
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 11:14:10 am »
yep,, Pat dont worry,, it could even out a bit when you get it strung,,always hard to tell how they gonna settle in,, looking great

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 01:28:07 pm »
 Thanks Brad. She has evened out a bit.
I did a little tillering this afternoon. She's pulling 50#@23" now so I still have about 9# to loose. I didn't pick up the added reflex like I expected and even lost a little. I'll have to see how she shoots when I get the weight down more. Here are 2 more pics, from the right side and the left side.

...more to come later...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 08:17:40 am »
Finished the tillering and adding the Tru-Oil now. She lost most all of the reflex but still holds about an inch after being strung. She is pulling 48#@26" now, just about right for me these days. Once I get all the finish work done I'll post all the required pics.