Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 76454 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Backpack Bow Challenge!
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:14:09 pm »
I was thinking the other day that I go out hiking a lot in the summer in some of the parks here in the Northwest. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that look at you a bit weird if your carrying a bow ans quiver on your back while hiking. Now my idea is that we should be able to make a bow that would fit inside a PVC pipe type quiver along with its arrows and be able to be covered with a cap to keep out the rain or prying eyes.  Now this would mean a bow no longer than from the top of your head to the base of your spine and fit inside a 4" to 5" tube along with at least 6 arrows. The challenge is in making one of these hideout bows! Anyone interested in trying this and discussing different strategies?

David T
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:09:51 am by jackcrafty »
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:36 pm »
i am very interested what do you have in mind i would love a bow like that wehere i could get a 26" draw from.

is this a 1 peice bow or takedown?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:35 pm »
How about a D-Bow with a Short Draw...and no Anchor Point....say maybe 46-48 inches long Osage....Sinew Backed....with a 18-20 inch Draw for Snap Shooting at Close Range..........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:08:41 pm »
I like it! Got a 58" bow- that count?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:25:09 pm »
yeah i got a 54" :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »
This sounds like a fun idea,  I'm in.The 46- 48" sounds good, but that is one tall dude if we go base of spine to top of head.  ;D.  Is there a deadline?  It will probably take me a while (little time lots of projects).
Traverse City, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:03 pm »
No time limit Rick! I'm just putting this out for a fun one. Maybe we can all submit an article on it to PA sometime?

I think the limiting criteria for this bow is that it can be hidden away in a backpack or special container carried on the back but be accessible and easily strung and shot and then put away again. It seems that there are so many people in the off hunting season that are against anything that smacks of a weapon when they see you out hiking.

Anyone know how long the typical human spine is from top of head to bottom of spine? Hey if we can get it shorter than this length even better. How about a sinew backed Hupa design or Modoc at 36" draw and arround 40# with a 24" draw length or shorter? We may want to stay away from recurving though to make it easier to hide away quickly if a park ranger comes along. Or, a sioux style gull wing center handle section deflexed but the rest of the limbs straight?

How about the arrows? Make them exactly the draw length or as long as the bow so you can take them from the same quiver. 

Durability might also be a consideration since you will be packing it arround with you while your hiking. Should be able to take a beating and all weather conditions. So, maybe sinew is out? Sinew would not like wet conditions at all! How about flax thread used as a backing as in the TBBIV? Thin backing of flax fibers to act as the tension component? Maybe the bow should also be able to take game from rabbit up to dear in case of emergency stranding in the woods?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:32:45 pm »
ok i have a big osage board out in the garage. it has many runoffs but should be ok with a good linen backing.  so how about 48-50" with a good linen backing pulling 40-45# at 24"  not real heavy but will take deer if need be and i dont think i can push this board much farther.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:38:59 pm »
I think it would have to be a takedown in order to get enough length to make it a reliable, accurate hunting bow. You could make a 60" bow that would break down into one piece 30" long and the other one with sleeve attached would be 32". The irony is, around here it's perfectly legal to carry a .22 pistol as a sidearm on national forest land at any time, but you can get a ticket for having a hunting bow when hunting season is closed. I often carry a pistol on my side in the woods, and I could pretty much care less what the granola munchers think about it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:45:13 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:34 pm »
I agree hillbilly! But, I think we need to make it so it can quickly be unstrung and shoved in your pack if someone comes along. I think its more like a concealed carry bow. There but never seen! I think minimum draw length needs to be considered too. If you can get a bow short enough to conceal but pulls 28" or longer, go for it! But it has to be long enough to throw a heavy enough arrow that can at least kill a deer. Heck, how about one that can be strung and left in your pack or carying case and pulled out when you want to use it? Now that would be cool!

Also, do you think we should post pictures after we build it of bow concealed and unconcealed durring a hiking trip?

David T

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 11:10:13 pm »
Would a laminate be be a possibility?  Maybe something 64'' ntn or 62''. And what kind of poundage are you looking at 40 to 50 lbs.? By the way i'm 6'2'' and from belt line to mid neck is 32".
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:28:39 pm »
Hickory, I think it has to be a able to fit in your pack or in a tube that fits along side your pack so it can be concealed. Maybe we should call this a CCB. Concealed Carry Bow! Anything in backing is a go but it should be able to be concealed quickly when out hiking and put into use quickly and still be able to kill a deer if need be.

Hickory there are NA bows that are 36" to 40" and would work great for something like this. In this case short is good!

David T

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 11:41:02 pm »
I remember seeing a short Japanese "carriage bow" in one of the TBBs that was designed as a "sidearm" bow. It may have been made from steel, though-I don't remember.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 11:43:46 pm »
i know the west coast indians made bow that were 36" long but they were vine maple with sinew back

how does an osae board and linen back sound for a short 48" bow

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 11:51:54 pm »
Can you conceal it? Thats the big picture here. If it can be concealed and not be seen while you go back packing in the woods then its just fine at 48".  I'm thinking of Juniper or Yew bow in the Hupa or Modoc style at arround 40" Maybe a bit less and backing it with linnen or nettle fibers. Maybe just one layer to keep the back from blowing. put a bit of reflex in the bow so that it negates any string follow after being strung and an 18" to 20" or 22" draw length.Arrows will be a bit longer than the draw length to add a bit of weight to them. I think 45 to 50# draw weight for my bow!  Also looking at a hickory backed flat D bow design about the weight and lengths as the Juniper or Yew bow but with an exotic hardwood belly.

David T