Author Topic: Hunting possibles bag  (Read 10275 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hunting possibles bag
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:22:59 pm »
Last couple evenings I sewed up a possibles bag big enough to hold all my calls and a small set of binoculars while I bow hunt.I've been using my flint and steel possibles pouch in the past and it was too small really.This one fits the stuff a lot better.It's 9" by 10" and holds my bleat call/grunt call/rattle sticks/turkey call/and binocs.
I had some spare deer smoked brain tan around and an old gray fox hide and made a round braided carrying strap for it.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Hunting possibles bag
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:58:54 pm »
 Nice work Ed
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 05:20:37 pm »
 :OK  :OK
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:36:31 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
  Nice job Ed...
                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:57:58 pm »
Nice bag, Ed.    8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:04:00 pm »
Seen your work first hand at MoJam....Real like it Ed.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:01 am »
Way cool  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:00:23 am »
Thanks fellas....It's winter time here now for a bit.You never know with this weather any more.Seems I always settle in with these kind of projects then.I hand sewed everything on this one.Those calls I really do need with me.Would'nt have gotten all the shots at deer if I did'nt have them along.Probably not as handy as them hanging around my neck or in my coat pockets but I don't like carrying and using them that way either.
If a person gets into this braiding it's kinda fun the things to make.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:26:38 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:36:46 am »
Nice work, Ed!  Is the braid a 4 strand round?  Always nice to have things handy!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:36:28 am »
Yes Hawk and the actual strap ended up around a good 3/8" thick.Pretty comfortable.That's using 1/4" wide lace.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 04:11:22 pm »
Definitely a manly bag. Congrats, Mr Ed!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 03:27:57 am »
Nice bag, very well done. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 05:54:52 am »
Definitely a manly bag. Congrats, Mr Ed!
You bet Mike!!!Robin has got 10 times more bags than me.....lol.I made her one long time ago though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 08:53:12 am »
As usual I can't seem to leave things well enough alone.I decided to do a little beadwork on this bare bag flap begging for it.It's a 3" rosette.Beads are size 11 and 12 seed beads.I used a no.12 sharps beading needle and nylon nymo thread.
I wanted it to represent what it is used for.The blue is sky blue for my surrounding area I hunt/the brown is arrow heads/the red is blood with the tin coned split white and dyed red brain tan lace representing blood dripping from the arrow heads wound.
It's sioux lazy stitched on brain tan which means it's embroidered onto the leather without going all the way through the leather.A feature about brain tans' toughness and softness to allow this type work on it with the same ease as sewing onto wool trade or flannel cloth only the material is 10 times tougher.Makes it easier on the fingers while beading and the stitching holds very well.
It's probably not my best work as some beads are a little crowded and other places not but it'll have to do this time.The sioux lazy stitch is supposed have a slight hump on it in it's final look and was used on the great plains area mostly.Along with the cheyenne lazy stitch which laid a little flatter.Not to mention the many different ways to edge bead leather also.I learned from a how-to book on beadworking.Before beading the natives quilled their garments for expression and decoration.Dyeing their garments was practiced too.

The bead lines need to be straight in line pointing to the center on rosettes using the sioux lazy stitch.There's an overlaid in line applique method of doing rosettes too as pictured on this buffalo hat with this keyhole design.The overlaid stitch was used a lot around the eastern great lakes area where floral curved type designs were used.Having uniform sized beads for this method is a must for nice work to be done.These are all czech seed beads.

No stitching on reverse side.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:29:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 09:02:32 am »
That's some nice work, Ed. The bead work really sets it off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?