Author Topic: Stave Harvest  (Read 5875 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Stave Harvest
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:33 pm »
Another nice walk in the woods netted a second, larger piece of hawthorn, and a piece of black cherry.

Plus I spooked a herd of about 10 doe as i was walking out.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 07:16:47 pm »
should I try to heat bend that out of it now while the wood still has some moisture in it

bending thick wood is a lot harder than thin wood, but bending a tapered piece is harder than a piece of consistent dimension.

you could reduce it quite a bit in the green to make the drying go faster, but keep an eye towards where you know you want to make corrections once it is dry, so that you are not trying to bend a thin section sideways (or the hardway) as it is referred to sometimes.

Offline TRiggs

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 06:43:01 pm »
Just one question, what the heck is Ash Maple ??
American Blade Smith Apprentice

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 07:52:40 pm »
Ash maple is just a nickname for boxelder.

I made some decent progress with my smaller hawthorn stave. 60" inch bendy handle got to full 29.5" draw at 35lbs, before developing a hairline crack on the back mid handle. So it's another junker, but at least I got this one to fill draw a few times, and it didnt kersplode, so that's a plus. It was a small skinny stave which is why draw weight ended up so low, had to tiller it that far to get the draw length. Got to practice toasting the belly too.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 07:59:13 pm »
How dry is that stave?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 08:02:55 pm »
Very dry, I put it in a makeshift kiln for a few days, and it was small so it dried fast.