Author Topic: longbow question  (Read 5322 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
longbow question
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:45:03 pm »
hi there, im venturing on making yet another 7'2" longbow. I have it bending a little bit, floor tillering. Now I will be sticking antler nocks on the ends. Before I do, should I cut side nocks into the bow and use a long strong, should I attach the antler and then tiller, or is there another meathod?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: longbow question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:10:12 pm »
When making heavy bows I cut temporary nocks in and if the bow is Yew I also glue on a small piece of horn on the back.  This is just so the string doesn't cut into the soft wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:47:47 am »
excellent!! Off To Work I go!!!
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:48:02 am »
Ok temporary knocks cut and Its tillered to 18"....I still dont have a weight yet.  At what point do you usualy attach the nocks?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:09:24 am »
Personally I like to attach nocks early on. I like to get the bow looking like a finished bow, with tips narrowed etc. This tends to mean that I go slower because I have to. It means I am committed to getting the weight I want out of the bow I have, rather than later trying to shorten it becuase I was careless. Occassionaly this means I have to take the nocks off again.
I don't like long tiller strings. Maybe use them to get to brace height but no more. They give a distorted idea of tiller shape, bow weight etc.
I like to then tiller and exercise the bow, never going byond the desired bow weight. Worked at over time, with exercising the bow after each wood removal the bow stays in tiller and at draw weight ntil you end up with the shape you want, at the draw length you want and at the piundage you want. It takes longer than some other methods but it works.
Mark in England

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:51:16 pm »
I may have just received an order for ten longbows for a tv series, Is it possible to use hickory lumber for make an elb?
50-60lbs draw?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:21:16 am »
i like my long. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:03:12 pm »
I personally think it best to tiller the bow the full length of the stave using temporary pin nocks. Then, when it is within my strength and tillered to the arc of a circle as Ascham suggests, I shoot a number of arrpws from it then thin down and pike the ends to my correct length and only then, attach the horn nocks. Lartdarcherie suggests antler nocks for flight shooting only.