Author Topic: Back to Building  (Read 19692 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Back to Building
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2021, 08:04:53 pm »
I have the third coat of browning solution on the parts, at this point everything looks blotchy and uneven but evens up when I rub the red rust off for the next coat. I think one more coat should do it.

One bad thing I found; I was looking at all the threaded holes on my trigger plate to make sure I didn't get an browning solution in them. I noticed the trigger adjustment screw threads looked funky, I tried to screw the adjustment screw in and found out that someone who assembled it at the factory cross threaded it and stripped all of the threads. This is a 3 48 screw, I found a tap on eBay, this is not the kind of tap anyone would have for sale locally. I emailed Davis to send me another screw, I won't hold my breath waiting on them to send me one, I have not had good luck with them in the past for parts. I can buy one from TOW but that would be $6 and shipping.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:53:56 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2021, 12:38:10 pm »
Like how you did the brass.  Looking forward to seeing it all together.
1>1

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2021, 11:08:15 am »
Like I said, everything looks awful until you get that last coat of browning solution on, card the rust off, neutralize with ammonia, heat the part and coat it with motor oil, suddenly everything looks great. This is after 3 coats of LMF, left outside at night for two nights and the rest of the rusting done in my shop. It appears the lock plate and trigger plate are still rusting slightly, I know from experience this will stop on its own in time.

Done with everything but the barrel;

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:14:15 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 10:10:26 am »
I finished my precarve from hell's final wood work, time to sand, whisker stain and finish.