Author Topic: New project  (Read 56563 times)

Offline DC

Re: New project
« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2019, 09:49:05 am »
Brad- I can't shoot it through the chrono machine with the grip so wide. I need to cut at least some arrow pass and I can't do that until I decide on top limb, which hangs on the tiller. Sort of a "catch 22"

Offline DC

« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2019, 10:04:56 am »
I have to fix a bit of string alignment before I do anything else. Lower lim needs to twist about 1/8". It will be a while until it cools.

Offline sleek

« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2019, 10:15:11 am »
Where on the limb did you heat to get your alignment?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:20 am »
Right at the base of the recurve just out from where the dark overlay ends

Offline sleek

« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2019, 10:39:02 am »
Right at the base of the recurve just out from where the dark overlay ends

Ok. Curious, how thick are the limbs now?  Is there a possibility with some hot steam you coukd try to put a heat treat on the limbs belly and not mess your epoxy up?

Offline DC

« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2019, 11:02:43 am »
I'd rather not steam it, I think I'd risk more than I could gain. I just strung it and the alignment is better. Could use a bit more but it's good for now. Put it on the tree and it was 20#@15", pulled it to 26" which is 40# this morning, exercised a bit and back to 20#@15". I worked a tiny bit on the fades and since I've got a couple of inches to work with I think I'll try a bit more.

Offline sleek

« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2019, 11:32:50 am »
Your last post on page 12 said you have 3/4 inch set. Man, that aint bad. Especially seeing as your scale said 42 pounds at 27, so, i bet if you keep it at 40, and get it back to 27 working the fades only and you wont see any more set.

Whats your draw weight at each inch of draw so far? Id like to see you make a force draw chart please.

Offline DC

« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2019, 11:56:32 am »
After a bit of work on the fades and rounded the edges 40#@28"

Offline sleek

« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2019, 12:00:47 pm »
OUTSTANDING!

Offline sleek

« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2019, 12:15:54 pm »
Hows the set? Would you mind doing anF/D chart for us please?

Im studying the tiller, I see where you have worked the fades pretty well, looks like you have an extra 2 inches on each fade working. Can you lay the just unbraced bow over your outline, trace it, and take a pic so we can see how the shape changed?
By the looks of it, the right limb is ever so slightly stronger. Is that your target for lower limb? 

Im excited to see how it shoots once you have it all trimmed out. You have done an amazing job working this bow. Its probably the best example of a tiller I have ever seen, and you did everything perfectly, without having to compensate for any mess ups. Honestly,  this bow has been a completely amazing build and should be used to teach all new guys how things are done.

Now you said this was a prototype,  for your next one, if you can, add more width, based off how much set you have here. We can come up with a more accurate ratio now that you have built one, and with your tillering skills, id bet you can get 1/4 inch set.  Hows this set amount compare to the amount of set on the bow you referenced for the ratio? Also, next go, dont forget to heat treat your limbs before glue up :D

Offline DC

« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2019, 12:19:23 pm »
Which way is up? I'll do a FD chart in a bit.

Offline sleek

« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2019, 12:19:54 pm »
The more I stare at it, i think the right limb would bennefit on the inner 3rd with a scrape or two, but, you are at target weight already, and its very close.

Offline sleek

« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2019, 12:21:19 pm »
Which way is up? I'll do a FD chart in a bit.

It looks best on the top image

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:13 pm »
Hard to believe you got that tiller from such a short amount working limb.  I'm impressed and inspired. 
The crazy part is that the limbs don't even look to be stressed all that much.
And to think you've been spitting out bows like this and you haven't been doing no set tillering.   (A) (A) (A)

Offline sleek

« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2019, 12:29:08 pm »
Hard to believe you got that tiller from such a short amount working limb.  I'm impressed and inspired. 
The crazy part is that the limbs don't even look to be stressed all that much.
And to think you've been spitting out bows like this and you haven't been doing no set tillering.   (A) (A) (A)

His level of craftsmanship, tool control, and a solid eye for tiller are on a master level. Man knows exactly what he is doing.