Author Topic: New project  (Read 57715 times)

Offline DC

Re: New project
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2019, 05:17:57 pm »

400 grains at 26 is hobbling the bow. First because the bow doesnt pull 40@26, rather 38.5, so you are asking it to shoot an arrow over 10gpp. Second, you are under drawing the powerstroke by 2 inches. That bow should be much faster than you are pushing it. Easily 170s. As for the mass, man, i hope you have lots you can remove. I dont know otherwise why ut wouldnt be faster.
I'm still a little gun shy. I'll work my way back up to 28" ;D ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2019, 05:28:57 pm »

400 grains at 26 is hobbling the bow. First because the bow doesnt pull 40@26, rather 38.5, so you are asking it to shoot an arrow over 10gpp. Second, you are under drawing the powerstroke by 2 inches. That bow should be much faster than you are pushing it. Easily 170s. As for the mass, man, i hope you have lots you can remove. I dont know otherwise why ut wouldnt be faster.
I'm still a little gun shy. I'll work my way back up to 28" ;D ;D
Dont blame ya. Wear safety glasses and a heavy coat.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »
Lots of work, looks really nice, but I'm afraid of the design been over built, say a tad stiff here and there.  Does not surprise me that it lifted a splinter.  Now go shoot it 2-300 times and leave it braced for about 6 hours.
What ya going to wrap it with.?
I wrapped it with some upholstery thread I had. It's very strong.

Hey now that looks quite nice!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2019, 05:35:25 pm »
if the bow was starting to take set,, the 26,, should shoot pretty fast,,26 is a good power stroke, I know the bow was pulled to 28,, but not that much,,
I would test it again at the 26 with tip reduction,, ( dont you like it how everybody tells you what they would do ;D) it wont hurt to see,, then if you not getting the speed, and think the limbs are not stressed enough to perform,, take it on out,,
sometimes taking the power stroke on out,, off sets it self with the set it gonna take,, but you never know unless you try,, Im preaching to the choir,,  but I just thought since it was taking some set,, you might be as far as you need to go,, and the splinter was talking to you,, but Im superstitous :NN
  eithter way you gonna learn something for the next one,, I think its a success already, ,anything you do now is icing on the cake,,  :)
that makes me really worred when Sleek is cautious,, (--)

Offline sleek

« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2019, 06:09:24 pm »
[/qoute)
sometimes taking the power stroke on out,, off sets it self with the set it gonna take
[/quote]

This is very true, but this bow was designed from the start to handle this draw length. If it fails, the wood is to blame on this one.

[/quote] That makes me really worred when Sleek is cautious,, [/quote]

Seems im making quite the name for myself. Lol, I laughed so hard at that my eyes watered. Thanks for that. No, Im just suggesting basic safety over a bow that has a back problem, with a wood im not familiar with at all. Thats all.

Offline DC

« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2019, 06:15:24 pm »
I'm going to stick with 26 for a bit. I've taken 222 grains off the width of the tips. Now I'm going to start on the depth. I've hot glued a bamboo skewer on to the back as an indicator. It will tell be how much the tip is bending. I'm going to try for 1/8" or something and see how that goes.

Offline sleek

« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:07 pm »
DC, you said a puff of dust came off that splinter when it popped? I never heard of that, but i think the backing may be the problem not the design. Perhaps a rawhide is in order to keep would be splinters down. Also, as the splinter was on the very edge, did you have your corners rounded well beforehand?

Offline sleek

« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2019, 06:19:10 pm »
I'm going to stick with 26 for a bit. I've taken 222 grains off the width of the tips. Now I'm going to start on the depth. I've hot glued a bamboo skewer on to the back as an indicator. It will tell be how much the tip is bending. I'm going to try for 1/8" or something and see how that goes.

That is bloody brilliant. 222 grains is damn near an arrows worth  of weight removed. That will help lots!

Offline DC

« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:48 pm »
DC, you said a puff of dust came off that splinter when it popped? I never heard of that, but i think the backing may be the problem not the design. Perhaps a rawhide is in order to keep would be splinters down. Also, as the splinter was on the very edge, did you have your corners rounded well beforehand?
It popped quite loud. I think it just shook off some sanding dust. I've had bigger splinters make less noise. I'm afraid the weight of the rawhide would counter all I'm doing unless I had goat or something. But I don't have any rawhide. Yes the corners were nicely rounded. The splinter was about 1/4" from the edge. I just tried my bend tester and the ends bend 1/4" just bracing the bow. Then they bend more. I'm going to move the glued part out toward the tips.

Offline sleek

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2019, 07:25:40 pm »
It popped quite loud. I think it just shook off some sanding dust. I've had bigger splinters make less noise. I'm afraid the weight of the rawhide would counter all I'm doing unless I had goat or something. But I don't have any rawhide. Yes the corners were nicely rounded. The splinter was about 1/4" from the edge. I just tried my bend tester and the ends bend 1/4" just bracing the bow. Then they bend more. I'm going to move the glued part out toward the tips.

Do a quick check on the scale to see if you lost any draw weight from tip reduction.  They may have been bending the enture time... or not.
Also, check tiller after that splinter, it may have changed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:40:40 pm by sleek »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
Thin goat,,.or deer,,.I have shot through chrono with no reduction in performance,..I was shooting by hand,,.so not as exact as your machine,...

Offline DC

« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2019, 08:03:01 pm »
I took 370 grains off the bow from lever splices out. Used the same 400 gr arrow and 26" draw. Gained 2 fps, up to 163. So I tried a 300 gr arrow, same 26" and got 185. I can take more weight off tomorrow but I've been through this before, you have to take an awful lot off the tips to make any dif.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2019, 09:00:53 pm »
Well 370 grain arrow should be 170,,,175...?

Offline DC

« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2019, 10:07:04 pm »
What I'm comparing it with is my daily shooter. Probably got 1500-200 shots. At 26" a 400 grain arrow is 175fps. a 300 gr arrow is 192fps. at 28" the 400 is 190fps and the 300 is 210fps The new bow is 26",400gr,163fps. 10 fps slower. Oh that's not quite a dismal as I was thinking. That's cheered me up a bit. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I can actually get some more working limb to make 28 in safer. Maybe, just maybe ;D

Offline maitus

« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2019, 12:28:42 am »
Why not to sinew back this bow :)?