Author Topic: two-fletch test  (Read 40800 times)

Dustybaer

two-fletch test
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:48:32 am »
inspired by patb, who not only makes very fine bowstrings, but also very nice 2-fletched arrows, i had to try it myself (previous experiments were less than satisfactory).  thanks to the help received on this message board, i decided to take a different approach from what i used to do, so here is the result.  no jigs, no glue, just free-style wrapping.  i was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.  i still would like a third hand, but i have something in mind that might help.  i'll post pictures of it, IF it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: two-fletch test
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:16:22 am »
How do they shoot ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:33:15 am »
sorry pappy, don't know yet.  just whipped 'em up last night (while i was surfing the message boards) and brought them into the office this morning to show them to bud, my shooting buddy.  so we used the office camera to take a quick picture and post it.  i had made a similar one with untrimmed fletches, which flies very nicely but is very noisy.  i'm hoping the shape of these feathers will reduce noise.  if i get to it, i'll mount some points tonight and give'em a try.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:16:32 am »
Nice looking, ought to fly.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Dingleberry

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:33:42 pm »
Cool fletching Marius. :)  How long are the feathers? 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:42:12 pm »
Dang Marius, Pat may make cool strings, but you are the man for fletching.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »
Nice Marius. Let us know how they fly.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:56:37 pm »
If they're still noisy, I was told that trimming the backs of the fletching at a backwards angle so that you've got a sort of kite shape helps reduce noise (you don't have those little free-hanging tips flapping in the breeze, as it were).
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:07:49 pm »
they passed the test with flying colors (pun intended).  absolutely no noise.  my best flying arrows so far.  match the signature bow perfectly.  point of impact on short distance (only have about 8 yards in the back yard) is the same as with 3 fletches.  i do expect better performance over 20 yards though.

thanks for the compliments, folks.

dingleberry, they are 5.5" long and .6" tall

justin, it will be a while before i can take it up with pat when it comes to arrowmaking (he's got the longer beard, you know, and according to gregb, the beard is a reflection of your talent  ;D ).

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 06:54:45 pm »
and here's another pic.  i fletched 5 more.  tomorrow i will complete the dozen  ;D

sorry about the poor quality of the picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:45:28 pm »
Look excellent to me. Always gonna have a soft spot for two feathers :).

Dustybaer

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 04:58:52 am »
thanks kegan, so do i.

i've come to the conclusion that i don't need a third hand (nor any jigs for that matter).  all it took was a little practice  ;D  funny how that works sometimes.  just realized on the picture that the spacing on the wrap is not very uniform.  sorry about that.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:16 am »
Looks good to me,nice job.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:49:12 am »
Well Marius, Take them, apart and redo them. We can't have you submitting uneven wrapping!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 11:35:11 am »
thanks pappy.

pat, uhm....no  >:D