Author Topic: Books, movies, series and more about primitive living and skills  (Read 18522 times)

Offline GlisGlis

I think it could be a good idea to have a single thread (maybe set as sticky on top of the page) where we collect movies, books, series etc about our common primitive interests.
I'm always in search of new sources and I'd greatly appreciate your advice
I start with a small list and if you find it useful I'll add more. Hope many will chime in  and the list will get longer and longer  :OK

MOVIES

- Quest for fire -1982 - JJAnnaud
    The story is set in Paleolithic Europe (80,000 years ago), with its plot surrounding the struggle for control of fire by early humans.

- Atanarjuat, the Fast Runner (2004)
    About inuit life. great story, excellent tools and living tecniques reproduction. great movie!

- Dersu Uzala - 1975 -Akira Kurosawa
    excellent movie set in Siberia territories. A must see

- Jeremiah Johnson - 1972 - Sydney Pollack
    Robert Redford starring the role of a mountain man living in the Rockyes as trapper. A must see

- Ofelas.  The story is set in 10th-century Lapland. great reconstructions and story

- The Tracker - 2002 Rolf de Heer.It's 1922; somewhere in Australia. When a Native Australian man is accused of murdering a white woman, three white men are given the mission of.. Very good movie

- the revenant -2015 -A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

DOCUMENTARY
- Happy People: A Year in the Taiga

BOOKS
-reindeer moon  - Elizabeth Marshall Thomas -
-on project gutemberg (www.gutenberg.org) there is a wealth of books free of copyright and free to download.
tons of essays, novels and handbooks about everything. A GOLD MINE !
Just a small glimpse of what you can find :
        -Hunting with the Bow & Arrow by Saxton T. Pope
        -Shelters, Shacks and Shanties by Daniel Carter Beard
        -Early London: Prehistoric, Roman, Saxon and Norman by Walter Besant
        -Men of the Old Stone Age: Their Environment, Life and Art by Henry Fairfield Osborn
        -Tracks and Tracking by Josef Brunner
        -Deadfalls and Snares by A. R. Harding
        -Langstroth on the Hive and the Honey-Bee: A Bee Keeper's Manual by L. L. Langstroth
        -The Call of the Wild by Jack London
        -Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper by E. N. Woodcock

ONLINE RESOURCES
- youtube 
        -tuktu series. A set of documentarys on inuit life. very accurate and interesting
        -Agafia. documentarys on a women living offgrid in siberia

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Books, movies, series and more about primitive living and skills
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:39:45 am »
There are a couple very good survival manuals put out by the military, as well.  I haven't seen the "Revanant", but I think it is based on the true saga of Hugh Glass.  There is a very good epic by John G. Niehardt titled "The Cycle of the West" that has chronicle "the  Song of Hugh Glass".
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline gifford

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 01:12:48 pm »
For quite a few years I subscribed to "Bulletin of Primitive Technology", a fine periodical that covered numerous 'abo-skill's, atl-atls, rabbit sticks, pottery, flint knapping, bow making, arrow making, foods, snares, deadfalls etc.  Articles written by dedicated amateur and professional paleo enthusiasts. Highly recommended.

Here's a link, if I can get it to work.

www.btprimitives.com/bpt-publications#!

hmm, well some of the techie types can figure it out. :-)

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 01:39:45 pm »
Here Lies Hugh Glass is a great book on what we know about the man, as well as what was going on politically with the natives, the long hunters, and how they were depicted. 

Also, Townsends on YouTube.  He's branching out from just food to other parts of primitive living.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 08:30:36 am »
I just watched "Revenant" the other day. I wasn't really impressed with the movie. I think I counted about ten times when he would have died of hypothermia. I think they exaggerated a bit.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 09:25:34 pm »
theres also the fiction book trilogy "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George. Not exactly real life but the books are a VERY good read
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 04:54:03 am »
I read My side of the Mountain when I was in middle school close to fifty years ago. I don't remember the whole story but I do remember liking it.
I'm not sure it's what your looking for, but one of my all time favorite books is "Centennial". I couldn't put it down.
My Aunt also gave me one. I can't remember the exact title. I think it was something like "Land Barons " it was about a very small group of settlers in the Appalachian mountains.
For a fun read. "Where the Red Firn Grows"
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 07:35:13 am »
... but one of my all time favorite books is "Centennial". I couldn't put it down.
    :OK

MOVIES
- Der Mann aus dem Eis (2017) - fictional story of Ötzi the iceman. the oztal alps mummy  found in 1991

SERIES
- Centennial (Colorado)  TV Mini-Series (1978–1979) The economic and cultural growth of Colorado spanning two centuries from the mid 1700s to the late 1970s. very good
- into the west 2005. other west saga. very good

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 05:52:57 pm »
WAIT WE FORGOT ONE.

"The Traditional Bowyers Bible"  ;D ;)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 07:25:27 am »
just watched "Ten Canoes" (2006)
Australia northern territories. An indigenous tell an ancient story while a second set of events it's actually occurring.
Great stories, almost a documentary on primitive life and techniques. Atl atl use  (AT)
Liked it alot.

if you watch it please pay attentions at spear points
Some of them could be knapped points while other are more likely wood. not sure

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 07:21:23 am »
Just read "Frightfuls Mountain" and "The Far Side of the Mountain" by Jean craighead george

Offline txdm

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 08:42:17 am »
Sci-Fi author Kim Stanley Robinson penned a book called "Shaman" that is an epic story about paleolithic people in Europe. It is SO good.

One thing to remember: if you don't have the time to read, audiobooks are a great solution, since you can listen while commuting, shooting, tillering, etc. Audiobook apps have come a long way.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 07:39:01 am »
Sci-Fi author Kim Stanley Robinson penned a book called "Shaman" that is an epic story about paleolithic people in Europe. It is SO good.

Just finished reading "Shaman".
Indeed a good one. Exactly the kind of suggestion I expected when I created this thread.  :OK
I loved the fact that it looks authentic or realistic, a solid plot and special effects kept to minimum

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 09:58:42 am »
alone in the wilderness (the movie)
the story of Dick Proenneke who, in the late 1960s, built his own cabin in the wilderness at the base of the Aleutian Peninsula, in what is now Lake Clark National Park
very good scenes of cabin building. that man was indeed skilled
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:44:27 pm by GlisGlis »

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 10:49:19 am »
Dick is one of my heroes. While we were wasting our youth getting stoned and talking about getting back to the land he did it.