Author Topic: Bow or, Blow ?....she made it !!!!  (Read 16462 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Bow or, Blow ?....she made it !!!!
« on: April 12, 2008, 06:54:12 am »
I'm working on a bow for a possible B.I.T.H. over at Paleoplanet, the problem is that it has several pin holes from powder bugs on the belly and quite a bit of damage from a grub on the back, I filled the back damage with a paste made fromTB III and guava dust, the pin holes with superglue and dust, I'll put a little sinew patch on the back too.

What do you think, will it make it ?

Suggestions ? advices ? tricks ?....prayers ? :D :D

Thanks

M

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:58:40 pm by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow or, Blow ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:58 am »
Manny, I'll be watching this closely. That stave looks similar to the snaky guava you sent me. Mine doesn't have the big grub trails on the back but plenty of the smaller pins.
   I'm just finishing up with the second stave I got from you and it has made a great bow. I'll be posting pics soon.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:30:39 am »
I would back the entire thing with rawhide.  Not because I know anything about bug damage, but because the back is compromised and I would like to see a nice evenly protected back. I like the entire back to have even tension properties also.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:06:02 pm »
I'm with Justin on the rawhide, I say BOW!!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:10:49 pm »
This aught to be interesting. I have some hick staves that look a little like that - will be watching, hope your successful :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
  manny  iv  had a few staves  do the same with those worms i took one a while back  and took a small drill bit about the size of the hole  stuck it in there and  removerd a bit of the bad soft stuff  i then took a piece of wood slimar to what i was using and mixed a small   batch of bow grip and mixed the fine sawdust dust into it and filled the hole s    after it dryed  i saned a bit and featherd  the holes   then backed it with rawhide like justin says  iv had this bow 3 years after a few thousand shot s it still shoot s might try that  it s worked for me   and iv got a osage stave thta has   fw holes now fix to try it again hope that helps 

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »
Manny It to nice of stave to to give a best effort. ;D  Total confidence in you Bro, You can do it ;D Warm up the super glue so it flows real good back some saw dust in the holes (part way) add glue, add more saw dust more glue untill filled. Also use semi coarse saw dust , If it's to fine it kegs up and dosen't let the glue through as well. Definate ly back it with something.  Looking foward to it. If you can pull it off that will be one heck of a head turner ;D

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:13 pm »
I've being trying to find a way to avoid backing it because it has such a beautifull high knot on the upper limb that I wanted to stay free, but you guys are rigth, I'm probably better of backing it.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 04:15:22 pm »
Manny....where is the Damage on the Back???? There are no pictures of the whole Bow Back to see where this is located....I had a Piece of Sage that was compromised like this on the Back....I Chased it down to a good thick ring....then I Rawhided only the Center like 12 inches of each Limb to strengthen the Damage ...and keep the Back looking Uniform...thats why I did both Limbs....but I didn't go all the way out on them....I saw no reason to ....the Damage was localized to one limb at midway....You may give this a Thought....doing this doesn't mess too much with tillering it either...because rawhide doesn't add too much to the Bow's Strength anyways........good luck Dude....I really love the way you shape dem Bowz...so artistic with dat Rasp!!!! Oops da Yooper just cud'nt be held in no more!!! >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 06:47:51 pm »
Yopper, In the bottom outher limb, I'm thinking to just do a partial backing too.

Pat,

if I was you I'd get to work on that stave rigth away, this morning while working mine new tunnels just keept appearing, there no telling how much damage inside that limb,...gotta run to work now, but I'll post pictures when I get back
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »
The little holes on the belly shouldn't be a problem if you fill them. With regard to the back, I agree with the others - it needs a backing.
Gordon

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:25:15 am »
While I was working the stave this morning all kinds of new tunnel kept popping up, there's no telling how extensive the damage is or how much real wood is left.

I'm thinking to pike the bow and make it assymetrical so I can take of a bit more from the lower limb.

I'll back it, but only the outher limbs, I wanna keep the knot free.

The knot

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 11:39:01 am »
Wow. I hope this turns out. Knowing your sill, Manny, I'd give it a good chance or surviving. I've seen some neat bows come from nasty looking stock at your workshop. If it was me, however, it'd be a miracle if it actually held.  ::)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 12:00:54 pm »
I've got a bunch of hickory staves that are wormy like that-I use them to cook steaks, barbecue, and brats.   ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 01:23:41 pm »
Manny ....if anyone can pull this Off it's you...... Why don't you soak that thing down with some Dursban or Malathion....to kill them damned Borers....before all you have left is Swiss Cheese Hawaiian Style!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome