Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 61749 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2019, 04:18:08 pm »
The accounts of natives using fire on bows does not necessarily mean they were heat-treating the wood, more like they used heat to remove moisture quickly.  Heat-treating is a process that requires hours even over an open fire.  Even the Eurasians could have been using heat to merely heat the wood up so that the natural sealants that was in use at the time could penetrate better, I've done that myself..  I'm not saying it wasn't done but concrete proof is just not there.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »
Perhaps but by the time you've removed moisture from a green stave it usually does take hours.  I wouldn't be surprised if the char and scrape method used for other items was used with bows too.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2019, 07:28:31 pm »
It does but too much heat too fast and you ruin the stave/bow.  Heat-treating green wood is just not an option.  Don't know of a single example of a historically heat-treated bow in any museum or collection.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2019, 08:11:21 pm »
The bowyer from boston bows seems to think the mary rose bows were heat treated based on some telltale marks he saw in person. I’ve heard that opinion before but i think it’s more widely accepted that we just don’t know for sure. I have no idea i’m just saying what i’ve heard

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2019, 08:13:47 pm »
Fellow archers its has been along time since I posted on this forum. Just wanted to add my opinion. I will not attack anyone here and believe we all can learn. First of all selling a book or dvd is not an evil.  A lot of information today is free on YouTube or forums etc. but the best information is what someone has worked very hard at and that includes tons of research and historical data which no one gives up for nothing. I have never got a book or dvd "free" and I will spend money in the future to learn. I would never make a white wood bow that was raw wood. The heat treatment method by Mark St. Louis changed all of that for us and it is great.  I have committed most of my life to the study of Southeastern native people. My family has two American Indian DNA haplogroups thru my grandfather and my grandmother had a small % Native American thru autosomal dna. Haplogroups determine your origin on this planet.  This is why I had such a great interest in native people that live and lived in my region. We are related to the Siouan Catawban speakers in Coastal Virginia, North and South Carolina thru our last association with the Pee Dee Indians. This is from the Pee Dee River of the Southeastern United States. I also teach Native American migrational  history and Native American DNA history. I have a very long history myself of making and using primitive bows and have produced two dvds on the subject. We can all agree to disagree but attacks are not good for any of us and our noble sport. I have been working with Keith Shannon with his project and will say he is one of the best bow makers I know and he would never claim that. Also he is an honest man that I trust. I have never seen anything about the man that made me think any negative thoughts about his character.  He is smart and works very hard on his research. He asked me to be a part of this because of my historical knowledge on the Southeastern natives and my long use of white bows. Also Billy is a great guy. I have been on long hunting trips with him and found him to always carry his weight more than fairly in all cases. He has taken me on trips and give up his best hunting spots so I could take game with my primitive gear.  … Yes he might be slightly eccentric "Naked at times" but we all are if you think about it for long. I have been seen in malls and public places wearing brain tanned buck skins. But no I am completely normal. LOL If you want to really know a man's true character hunt or fish with him a couple years and you will find out the truth.  At any rate I will list just a few observations taken from the best historical documents known. These were made from first contact Europeans or very early contact Europeans of Spanish, French and English people. A lot of this data comes from The Indians of The Southeastern United States by John R. Swanton. 1946  The Classics of the Smithsonian Anthropology. The Southeastern Indians by Charles Hudson. 1973 Antiques of the Southern Indians, Particularly of the Georgia Tribes. By Charles C. Jones 1873. The list is long. The one thing that stands out in all of these fantastic books is the knowledge the natives had of "Fire Hardened" techniques. It was documented over and over. Adair in 1775 states the Indians in the Savannah river used fire hardened spears for fish. Bartram in 1792 states the same "Fire Hardened method for spears. Fire hunting and Fire fishing was used and documented. Firing pottery to forever change the material. Using fire to completely alter brain tan skins from the smoke/formaldehyde and other chemicals known to preserve wood.  Even today formaldehyde is used in the construction of plywood and other wood products. It is in smoke naturally. Flint was altered by use of "fire" to permanently alter the material. Natives used fire to burn out bowls/Mortars and trees for dugout canoes. One could see the moisture repelling properties with a dugout at first glance.  The Yuchee on the southern rivers were observed to fire hardened solid wood arrow shafts. Timberlake says of the Cherokee their bows are dipped in bear grease and seasoned before the fire. Were they just heating the grease to penetrate the wood? The wood "Seasoned" is telling because it speaks of a long process. 
The key to seasoning lies in the word itself: A Season. A long process not a quick heating for fat penetration. My opinion for sure but I am entitled to an opinion. Speck specks of even minor small projectile points for blowguns being "Fire Hardened. Garcilaso in 1723 speaks of Fire Hardened arrows of the Alibamo Indians. From the history of the Historical Collections of Louisiana and Florida by B. F. French 1869 it was stated about the natives that forever what they make everything is harden first with fire. Natural History of East and West Florida. 1775. Hickory and other woods being used for the manufacture of their bows which they "natives" season "thoroughly"  with artificial heat which is "Fire" Another account from after an attack on Europeans in Florida it was stated after finding weapons used in the attack that the natives fire hardened everything they made. Also the so called "black yew" which was found among the Utina and Timucua tribes around the St Johns river. There is no yew here in the southeast but hickory fire hardened looks amazing like yew. This was pointed out by Billy Berger who is very familiar with both species. This is a small sample of the natives knowledge of fire and the application of it in construction and altering of most everything they had. I have never believed for one minute that the native people here were ignorant of the negative effects moisture has on raw wood. I have used heated fat on raw hickory with bad results. After many applications and yes I heated the bow limbs to hopefully increase the fat penetration. And I was disappointed later with moisture gain. Native people used fire every day not just a hunting camp a couple of days a year. And they were out in the extreme humidity of our region most of the time. Bows were used not just for hunting in the fall but year round for war, fishing and simple defense from critters with teeth. The bows mentioned by the earliest Europeans are not weak follow the string white wood bows but weapons of great speed and strength. I believe the connection to what Keith has done and what the first native americans were doing is real. It would be a great argument in court anyway.  Granted this knowledge was lost overnight with smallpox and the gun but it seems to me we see a correlation. I also know i could not cure cancer without some disagreement from someone. But they are entitled to an opinion based on their knowledge and experience. Also the native people in the Southeast thought of Fire as a sacred thing. Some tribes keep a fire burning all year long in the longhouse and putting it out only once during the Green Busk or New Year. It was a symbol of the sun which was the giver of life on earth. It must be remembered also that the American indian people today account for less than 2% of the population in the United States and that includes the Alaska Inuits and related people. What does that mean. Well it accounts for over 98% of native knowledge being lost. But the historical volumes from eye witness accounts are the best and only information we have other than us modern primitive archers to keep experimenting. Like Keith Shannon and Mark St Louis and Paul Comstock. Paul Comstock breaking the dam with the use of white wood bows when they were considered second string woods only used in the past by so-called primitive people. Even if a person used fire to "dry out a bow quickly from rain or river what is the chance that over thousands of years someone would not have "over" done the process. Millions of natives over thousands of years. Too believe that is not giving native people much credit. I did this very thing in my short 62 years by accident making a "survival" bow and I decided to speed things up with fire. It did not clink in my mind at the time but it changed the small survival bow for the better. This is the ugly bow in my DVD Native Arrows and Points.  Lets keep an open mind and work together to move primitive archery forward. It is a passion for all of us.

Offline PatM

« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2019, 08:56:27 pm »

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2019, 09:11:37 pm »
Flint Arrow thanks for the information that was an interesting and agreeable read. I can only speak for myself but I think the general issue/skepticism is not with the technical aspects of the process you are describing but rather with the way it is being portrayed and marketed. Nothing you said is controversial and it all jives with the conversations on this topic for the last 20 years. This isn’t really forgotten information or a revolution. I’m not skeptical about improvements you might have brought to the table, just offput when you take credit for the shoulders you stand on rather than the ground you have covered yourself.  You have all the right to market and sell your process, that’s not the issue. The way you’re talking about things here and the way you’re marketing are worlds apart.   “best self bows ever” ha

would you say that on here?

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2019, 10:05:29 pm »
PatM did you know the Yew you looked up on Wiki is in the panhandle of Florida only and is in a super small area less than 4 square miles. That's like trying to find Osage in Georgia.  Technically you are right But...….

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2019, 10:16:12 pm »
 Santanasaur that is my point I don't believe what is being presented here is "Jiving with all that's been said on this forum for the past "20" years." That is our point. My opinion.  "Not forgotten" no revolution. But no one has seen the video?  Thanks for your comments.   

Offline Shannon

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2019, 10:20:51 pm »
Santana,  We have never said anywhere or anytime that fire hardening was forgotten information or a revelation.  Those have been your  words.  We have given credit time and time again to the ancients and to modern science.  A week or so ago somewhere on this board, Deerhunter asked if anyone could give him advice on moisture management on a hickory stave/bow.  The answers were the same answers that have been given for the last 20 years.   The fact that you all gave those answers is the very proof that no one on this board has a clue what the "forgotten information" or "revelation" really is.  When the DVD comes out the answers you all gave will be obsolete.  Not trying to speak for Thad, but I am certain the answer to your question is yes.

Offline PatM

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2019, 10:23:05 pm »
PatM did you know the Yew you looked up on Wiki is in the panhandle of Florida only and is in a super small area less than 4 square miles. That's like trying to find Osage in Georgia.  Technically you are right But...….

It is NOW but we're talking several hundred years ago.  There's no Buffalo in the East now either.

Osage grew in a limited area and was traded for thousands of miles.

If Florida Yew was rated highly at all it would have moved around a bit too.

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2019, 11:20:22 pm »
True again but also true we can't say it was ever wide spread and be certain. We do know white wood was used extensively east of the Mississippi river. My thoughts were that  Yew was a tree that would be known to the early explorers and could have thought they were looking at yew but could have been another wood type. We will never know this completely.  I do know that things have changed over many hundreds of years, And not always for the better with our valued  hard woods for bows. Georgia is mostly pine now and millions of oaks and hickories have been reduced to nothing in many regions of the state. East coast florida, The st
Johns rivers region with the Utina and their enemy the Timuca living on the atlantic  The short shaggy tree  knarly tree jud know has the panhandle yew a very small limited i have never see any bow made     

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:49 pm »
Shannon if you say those aren’t your words you should get them off your website. I don’t think i misquoted you in words or gist. You don’t have to read far into your website to find the exact quotes and sentiment you’re accusing me of inventing.

and since you put your money where your mouth is, i think we would all love to see the best self bows ever. Show us sometime. I can’t even imagine the specs

Offline Flint Arrow

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »
i am going to watch the old Mississippi boy hunting flint projectile om his channel called Ditchwalker he finds some great points Beautiful Jasper points from one then i will go eat a breakfash burrito

ll

bownarra

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2019, 01:00:49 am »
I think most of you guys are trying to read to much into a commercial. This is all hype to get you to buy a DVD. He's deliberately exaggerating to catch your attention. The only thing to do is wait until the DVD is available and see exactly what he's offering. In a way you're actually helping him by creating controversy around his "system". Any press is good press.

Exactly my thoughts.
Come on guys wake up - you are all acting like they want you to!
Look into marketing tactics ;) You are being bombarded with this stuff constantly. Leave them alone, at least they got off their backsides and have produced a DVD. More than most people.