Author Topic: New heat treating method??  (Read 61740 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: New heat treating method??
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2019, 07:25:46 pm »
a little late to the discussion, but I did not see anyone offer Shannon so much as a welcome to the board.
maybe there is a bit of hyperbole in his own online postings, or maybe not.....so what?

What I did see here at PA was Shannon's willingness to sign up here and enter a discussion about his work without being overly defensive....

......and leave after not feeling to welcomed by the community as a whole.

What I saw was that he signed up merely to defend himself and his process and I don't see anything wrong with that.  The fact that he left the way he did says another thing
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Nasr

« Reply #226 on: September 03, 2019, 08:40:25 pm »
I dont agree with him and I honestly dont believe he has anything. Everything about what he said and the way he left makes me believe that even more. However I wish him the best and I hope he learns that people are gonna call you out on things they are passionate about.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2019, 08:41:29 pm »
I agree with both points Marc. Defending yourself is expected, but saying “you guys suck and I’m going home” is weak. It’s a tell in my mind. I believe they know their argument won’t stand up to scrutiny. If I’m wrong, I welcome them to prove me wrong.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:56 pm »
i don't know. I have two voices in my head, My people pleaser one telling me to let it go and be kind and open, my logical side is saying to fight for my claims and to  defend what i know. its hard to balance the two.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Badger

« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2019, 08:52:26 pm »
   I am starting to wonder if the video will actually be produced now.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2019, 08:53:23 pm »
when is it supposed to be?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2019, 09:02:39 pm »
I would think they are invested in it by now. I’m where you are Steve. If what they have is an improvement on the margins, that’s pretty good. I just get the feelz that they won’t be able to live up to the claims. They may still sell some DVD’s, though they missed the mark with this fairly influential group. Come back and defend yourselves.  I would.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2019, 09:06:48 pm »
I wonder if hes been reading this as a guest so we don't know if hes back on?

Offline PatM

« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2019, 09:17:06 pm »
I wonder if hes been reading this as a guest so we don't know if hes back on?

You can rest assured that some communication is going on or they wouldn't have showed up on the thread in the first place.

Likely smoke signals are being used.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »
Now THAT, was funny.

Offline scp

« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2019, 10:02:55 pm »
Even a decent video summary of the current state of our knowledge in heat treating bows would be quite useful, especially if the method is applied to white wood easily available. I would not mind if they just apply a lot of bear fat and burn them off in the process for good mojo and claim that doing so really helps. But at least they need to produce white wood self-bows that shoot 175 FPS with 10 GPP arrows. Good luck.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2019, 10:21:07 pm »
Maybe re editing the video a bit.... :)

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #237 on: September 04, 2019, 12:37:00 am »
Ya'll are really harping on the fact that he brought up his ancestry. You must be reading his posts in the voice of a cartoonish villain. Extend just a smidge of good will, and it becomes clear that he wasn't going on about the amazing super powers he's given by the native blood coursing through his veins. He was talking about the source/inspiration for his knowledge, and was expressing the respect he had for the knowledge of the past.

He was civil and respectful and I see no indication that he was coming here to stir up trouble.

If, hypothetically, someone *did* come up with an amazing new heat treating method, I would not expect them to start making the best bows ever. As you all know, an enormous amount of skill and knowledge goes in to making a fast bow. Much more than any heat treatment. To suggest that if someone with a better heat treating method would be automatically making amazing bows is to shit on the knowledge of people like Marc St. Louis. I wouldn't expect to start seeing the best bows ever until this new method got in to the hands of someone like Marc.

Again, I'm super skeptical too. If it's a scam, I will definitely be among the annoyed. He makes big claims. But he's also been good and civil and unfairly jumped on. I don't know enough about his method to say it's bs, and neither do you. Express your skepticism and move on. I don't understand why this has become a witch hunt.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #238 on: September 04, 2019, 02:10:33 am »
Ya'll are really harping on the fact that he brought up his ancestry. You must be reading his posts in the voice of a cartoonish villain. Extend just a smidge of good will, and it becomes clear that he wasn't going on about the amazing super powers he's given by the native blood coursing through his veins. He was talking about the source/inspiration for his knowledge, and was expressing the respect he had for the knowledge of the past.

He was civil and respectful and I see no indication that he was coming here to stir up trouble.

If, hypothetically, someone *did* come up with an amazing new heat treating method, I would not expect them to start making the best bows ever. As you all know, an enormous amount of skill and knowledge goes in to making a fast bow. Much more than any heat treatment. To suggest that if someone with a better heat treating method would be automatically making amazing bows is to shit on the knowledge of people like Marc St. Louis. I wouldn't expect to start seeing the best bows ever until this new method got in to the hands of someone like Marc.

Again, I'm super skeptical too. If it's a scam, I will definitely be among the annoyed. He makes big claims. But he's also been good and civil and unfairly jumped on. I don't know enough about his method to say it's bs, and neither do you. Express your skepticism and move on. I don't understand why this has become a witch hunt.

The thing is he was willing to talk about anything and everything except the one thing we were asking about. Inspiration for doing something and the evidence you actually did that thing or two different topics. We all were discussing his claims and he came along maybe not to stir up trouble but to try to get us to go along with what he was saying without providing anything of value. Also lied about the contents of his site and got called out for it. I don’t hate the man and I have nothing against him personally (I don’t know him) but the way he was dodging the questions seems to tell us everything we need to know. The burden of proof is on the one who makes a claim.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #239 on: September 04, 2019, 02:27:25 am »
I wouldn’t expect to instantly see the best bows ever either, but he does keep saying that they are. We’re not the ones setting impossible standards. This would be a very different conversation without these kinds of bold claims. Claims and information don’t  deserve the benefit of the doubt. People  do, but not when they say they are doing the best work around. That kind of talk has to be earned or proven if you don’t wanna raise some dust