Author Topic: Backing surface question  (Read 3341 times)

Offline burtonridr

Backing surface question
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:06:58 pm »
I'm preparing to do a brown paper backing. The wood is the natural kinda bumpy and lumpy surface from under the bark with some of the inner bark in places, kinda looks like a camo pattern. Anyway, can the backing be applied over this with good results? Or is it important to make the surface completely flat?

I'm concerned that since it is tillered perfectly at my poundage I might loose weight by trying to even out the surface to much.

Thanks in advance!
Offgrid mtn living

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Backing surface question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 04:09:04 pm »
Is the back in good shape? 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:09:30 pm »
 Not worth the effort with that kind of back.  If it's done and hasn't broken then just cross your fingers.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 04:28:53 pm »
If the back is sound and unviolated there is no reason for a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:30:55 pm »
The back is in good shape, I'm backing a choke cherry bow. Long story short, it's a take down, I originally planned to back it, it was shooting so sweet... But before I got it backed one limb snapped, it failed in tension. Pretty sure I screwed up stringing it improperly... that's when it snapped... But I'm not sure, design might be pushing the wood capabilities. I shot the bow maybe 50 times before it snapped, but it snapped while stringing.

I'm making a new limb to replace the one that broke and I've been told by members on this forum its a good idea to back choke cherry since it is weak i in tension. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:08:17 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 05:08:23 am »
Our Natives backed wild Choke Cherry with sinew for good reason. As a self bow that wood can be dangerous in my experience, and when it breaks it explodes.If you really like the bow then sinew back it. JMO.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:10:34 am »
Do u think rawhide would work?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:33:59 am »
I've never worked with choke cherry, but I have worked with black cherry a fair amount. Bass is right that when it fails, it fails big. I've only had 1 unbacked black cherry bow that held up over time. All of my others have either failed toward the end of tiller, or within the first 500 arrows. That being said I think you could probably get a durable bow out of it with one of the stronger non-working backing materials like hide as Brad suggested, or a high thread count tight weaved cloth of either cotton or linen. Cherry is light which makes a nice snappy shooter. It just needs proper reinforcement to overcome its brittleness.

Now to answer the actual question that you asked. The back doesn't have to be perfectly flat to apply backing. If you have a nice clear unviolated ring for a back and it has some lumps and bumps you're better off applying your backing over the bumps. If you take the bumps off you're creating ring violations which weakens the natural back. As for the bits of bark, you'll want to sand off all bark or cambium so the you're gluing your backing material directly to wood. Just be careful with your sanding, don't sand to deeply into the wood and create a ring violation.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 04:51:43 pm »
After the way it blew up on me before, I'm in favor of backing, and I want to do it right.

After reading about brown paper, it appears that the consensus about brown paper bag material is that it is strong enough in tensile strength and makes a good backing material. Am I off here?

If that wont work, I've got linen that I used on a flat short bow, or I've got silk from the christmas trade last year(but I was saving it for my next cedar flat bow). So I've got a couple other options, I'd love to get opinions on the best application.

I would like to use sinew, but right now I dont have the material or the time it seems it would take to do it right.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 05:10:41 pm »
I've never used paper, so I can't comment on its effectiveness. But I'd think linen would work well for you.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 08:55:05 pm »
After the way it blew up on me before, I'm in favor of backing, and I want to do it right.

After reading about brown paper, it appears that the consensus about brown paper bag material is that it is strong enough in tensile strength and makes a good backing material. Am I off here?

If that wont work, I've got linen that I used on a flat short bow, or I've got silk from the christmas trade last year(but I was saving it for my next cedar flat bow). So I've got a couple other options, I'd love to get opinions on the best application.

I would like to use sinew, but right now I dont have the material or the time it seems it would take to do it right.

Paper bag shouldnt even be considered a backing material imho. I wouldnt use anything less than silk. I use silk under almost all my skinned bows. Sometimes rawhide if I feel Like it. If the back is a little wigglie that’s fine, if you can’t seat the silk down right it’s okat to flatten it out with a rasp and sand paper. Same goes for prominent sharp bumps.
If you don’t want to use up your silk or rawhide hit me up I’ll send you some. I’m not a fan of broken bows. Especially if it’s preventable.
Choke cherry is a good fast wood. If it where mine sinew would be my first choice bc of the added benefit. Rawhide, second. Sh%# man I’ll send yah sinew if need be.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:59:30 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 09:24:54 pm »
Bryce, I really appreciate the offer, I'm always amazed by the generosity on this forum. It's really nice of you to offer. But I can use the silk I have, I went and measured the piece I've got and it should be enough for about 4 bows. Had no idea it was such a big piece.

You've got me thinking to give the Silk a try, does anyone have a link to a good tutorial?
Could I fill one of the dents in the back with wood glue first instead of sand?
Is wood glue tb3 good to use with silk? or something else?

Here is a link to a thread about the bow, I'll have to post pics showing the busted limb.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66727.0.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:29:02 pm by burtonridr »
Offgrid mtn living

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:37:31 pm »
With that wood the bow will tiller fine, and shoot fine for about 300 to 400 rounds ,and then let go. At least it did for me with 4 different bows. The first 3 no bodily damage. The 4th one broke my glasses in 2, and bruised my eye. The 2  I have left I didn't shoot much. Take Bryce up on his generous offer,and sinew back it.You will be glad you did in the long run.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 01:30:14 pm »
Bryce, I really appreciate the offer, I'm always amazed by the generosity on this forum. It's really nice of you to offer. But I can use the silk I have, I went and measured the piece I've got and it should be enough for about 4 bows. Had no idea it was such a big piece.

You've got me thinking to give the Silk a try, does anyone have a link to a good tutorial?
Could I fill one of the dents in the back with wood glue first instead of sand?
Is wood glue tb3 good to use with silk? or something else?

Here is a link to a thread about the bow, I'll have to post pics showing the busted limb.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66727.0.html

Cut em to size. Get em wet and ring em out till damp. Generous sizing of glue on the back of the bow with Pva or hide glue. Then lay em down and rub out all the air bubbles. If you want you can also water down a bit of your glue and work it into the silk as well to permeate the whole backing
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 02:02:50 pm »
Will the silk backing prevent what happened to bassman's bows? This is what I'm trying to prevent.
Offgrid mtn living