Author Topic: Rainy Day project  (Read 7094 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Rainy Day project
« on: December 26, 2019, 01:04:56 pm »
I've posted the profiles of this bow before. My dad always had rainy day projects for us to do when I was growing up. This tradition has carried on. This spring was long, wet and cold. I kinda ran out of rainy day "work" projects and needed something to take my mind off the rain that was putting me further and further behind. I needed something more. I needed therapy.

I started this one right after The Primitive Archery Meet in Marshall. I had a truck load of billets from Frank. I split a bunch of them and picked out a couple to splice together.

It was my first spliced handle and I wanted to try some deflex in the handle. I cut out my first z splice. Steamed it and glueded it together with TB2. Then it dried up and I got back to my real job. It sat around the shop looking like a turd for quite some time. We went from to wet to to dry. Finally I got another rainy day and I roughed it out and steamed in the recurves. Then another rainy day and I got it tillered. It was starting to look like a real bow. I put some Water Buffalo horn tip overlays on from some horn I got from PA Steve. I got it shooting nice but it's still just a bit on the heavy side. Really have know idea who this bow is even for yet, so might as well error to the side of to heavy. I can always take a little more off.
 I got busy with my real job again and it hung from a nail in my shop for awhile. I made a trade with backwoodsguy and got a couple nice copper head skins. It was a good trade thanks backwoodsguy and he threw in a Emu skin and a couple other neat items to. I put on the copper  head skins and let it sit again. Then I saw bubby's build along for wrapping a handle. I decided to use the Emu leather and for my first real laced up wrap it came out pretty decent. The brown Emu looks nice with the Osage and copper heads.
    So here it is. My rainy day project. Still don't know who it's for. Maybe it'll be my rainy day fund.
Hope you like it. It sure looks better than it did when I first glued up the handle.

62" ntn
58 @ 27"

Bjrogg

Oh and a little muskrat on the arrow shelf and striker
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 01:25:36 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Rainy Day project
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 01:10:59 pm »
Some more. The full draw is 26" it'll go a little further
Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 01:25:53 pm »
nice bend on that one,, congrats

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 01:29:28 pm »
 :D

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 01:44:50 pm »
Thanks Brad. I was almost thinking it maybe should be bending more out of the handle but really not sure. I can see it bending there and don't want to over do it. Just thought it would look a little different at full draw. Maybe it should? Not sure. It's a hard hitter right now.
Thanks DC
Bjrogg

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 01:51:28 pm »
   Nice one Bj...Love the coppers and the fur arrow rest
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 02:28:43 pm »
Nice one !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 03:24:11 pm »
ThankYou Don it's got a few more bells and whistles than I usually do, but they all go together pretty good.
ThankYou Stick Bender

I guess I forgot about the rainy day I glued a piece of Black Walnut and English Walnut on the belly side of the handle to.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:27:12 pm by bjrogg »

Offline airkah

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 03:45:03 pm »
I was almost thinking it maybe should be bending more out of the handle but really not sure. I can see it bending there and don't want to over do it. Just thought it would look a little different at full draw. Maybe it should? Not sure. It's a hard hitter right now.
Thanks DC
Bjrogg

Looks great to me, I wouldn't touch it.

Great bow!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 03:50:21 pm »
Thanks Airkah. I think I needed to hear somebody else say that. Until it finds its way to someone it's gonna stay just how it is.
Bjrogg

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 04:22:58 pm »
Looks great...love the coppers.

Offline Will B

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 06:48:17 pm »
Great looking bow!  I love the short recurves and your copperhead snakeskin backing is really nice!!  Excellent job!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 07:56:01 pm »
Thanks Will. It's my first time using copperheads to. They are nice thin skins. I like the way they look on the Osage to. I like short recurves.
Bjrogg

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 10:28:21 pm »
Nice bow, BJ! those skins look great and you sure got it bending well

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 11:08:27 pm »
Beautiful bend and a real purty bow, BJ.  :OK
You know, you could bring the bend back into the handle but it isn't necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC