Author Topic: Sinew And Rattler Backed Paddle Bow  (Read 31058 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Sinew And Rattler Backed Paddle Bow
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:49 pm »
Well when I posted the Knife Pictures of the Cholla and Flint Knife....everyone wanted to know more about the Little Bow in the Background...Well here it is...... I had run out of Sinew for my Cupids Bod....and this one was in the Corner already Sinewed last fall...so I have been working on it....It's 43 inches long..Damn it ....it's too big to be in the Back Pack Bow Contest... ::) ::)

This Paddle Bow Wannabe is 1 7/8 inches wide....1 1/4 inches at the Handle....it's made of Ash...not Yew....cant afford Yew!! I cut and flipped the nocks...and sinewed them back with three layers of Leg Tendon...The I Sinew Backed the whole Bow with 3 layers of Leg Tendon and then 1 layer of Elk Back Sinew...then I re wrapped the top 2 inches horizontal to the Length of the Bow to tie in the Sinew on the Bent Tips for added strength..... I backed it with one Prairie Rattler and made a Wrapped Grip out of Rawhide and Hide Glued it down.

I have it tillered at a 3 1/2" Brace Height right now to 17 inches at 50 Pounds....I have some more work to do on the Tiller though....I think that the Left Limb in the Picture is still a Bit Stiff at Mid Limb....being this Short...I opted to make this a Working Handled Bow....so I could utilize every inch of it ....and get a Draw length I could live with!!

Once I get the Tiller nailed....I am going to add some Fur around the Tips and around the rawhide Grip....and make either a Gut or Sinew String for it too....this is going to be an Awesome Little Brush Bow!!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:31:37 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

Re: Sinew And Rattler Backed Paddle Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:31:10 pm »
Awesome! i really like that.  THat will be such a sweet brush bow like you said
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:33:26 pm »
Thanks David...but I just come in from Shooting it....and I am going to have to do something with the Rawhide Handle though....it is really noisy....I guess I am going to have to put some Mink or Muskrat Fur on the Handle to make it quieter!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:41:08 pm »
Sharp little bow yankee, she ought to work nice in da brush eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:23:16 pm »
Nice little bow. 8)  Will you tell me how you bent the tips up.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:24:24 pm »
that's very similar to one I have roughed out,, made of eastern red cedar sapwood. mine won't have bent nocks like that but it is a cool feature.
just need to get off my lazy butt and sinew back it.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:57:56 pm »

PM sent
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:00:31 pm »
                Dana....this ought ta be a good Wabbit Whacker!! But getting used to such a small Draw....is a Biotch!!!!

Sonny....if Ya would send me some a dat E.R.C.....I would be proud ta Make a Bow from it ....and Name it after Ya!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 05:10:50 pm »
send me a PM and I'll make that happen.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

jamie

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:09:02 pm »
good looking bow yankee. try a modified pinch when drawing the bow much easier to shoot those short bows.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »

PM sent
Nice bow, whats with the PM though. You are supposed to post it for all the rest of us curious people.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 08:06:20 pm »
                                                    OK...... Pat.....can ya Post my PM to ya??
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 08:18:12 pm »
I don't know, can I? ???    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »

PM sent
Nice bow, whats with the PM though. You are supposed to post it for all the rest of us curious people.  ;D Justin
How about a little Share-a-Thon, here. :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 11:46:58 pm »
OK....I'll tell ya....first of all you make the Tips like a regular Pin Nock....but longer....about 1 1/2"...then you take your trusty Dremel Tool with a Cutting Wheel....or a small Coping Saw....or of you want to go totally Primal...get yer Flint Blade you traded with Cowboy  for....and cut about 2/3rds of the way through each one....at the Base of the Pin Nock....you make a wedged shape cut...so next step is to get your Sinew and Hide Glue ready.....now heat you tips one at a time...when you get it nice and hot...and bendy....put some Hide Glue in the notch...and quickly push it down on a Hard Surface to bend it till the Gap is closed....now if you didn't out think me here....and build a Jig to hold it in Place....then you have to hang on to it till it cools....then take your Sinew (4" long pieces)...dip it in your Hide Glue...and wrap the Tip lengthwise from the belly about a quarter of an inch below the nock...up and over...do this again ...so that you have at least 2...I like 3 layers going vertical....then go back and do the same again ....but this time Horizontally at the Base of the Nock...to cover all of the Overlapping Fibers from the Vertical Lays....do this at least twice also...repeat for the other Nock.....simple ....Huh!!!!

p.s. I made a Jig that would hold the nock in its bent form till it cooled....just used a scrap of red oak board...cut a 45* notch in it....and used a Jorgenson clamp to hold it down till it cooled and the Hide Glue set up good
2024...We Will Overcome