Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 37131 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2020, 07:20:42 pm »
mmattockx~ looking good...you don't have any problems with the porous red oak sucking moisture from glue and then needing a few days to dry?  Just curious... no wonder everything takes me so long.   ???

Tillering with one eye requires time and now some good eyes for help...  :OK  I know what I see, or think I see... suggestions before going the last few inches tomorrow?  Got it to about 22-23" still working a bit on the top limb but it seems to spring right back so far.  The 2nd picture is immediately after a very long and slow tillering session.  Thanks.

Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2020, 07:21:03 pm »
Lots of good stuff going on boys. Looking good all around. I started fletching some shafts for the new bow I posted a few pages back. Needed some lighter spined stock. I think tomorrow morning I will get back on a bow.   

Good to see you tonite Gregor. I think I'll pour me a glass of dessert bourbon, you know the stuff.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2020, 07:23:05 pm »
Bob, Id say a few inches off each fade could bend a bit more. That will get you a good 1.5"more draw. Maybe 2".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2020, 07:30:04 pm »
Hey Chris, you gonna drink that candy bourbon are you? BTW, I really like the copperhead skinned bow you finished, nice artistic touch on those limb ends.

Thats gonna be a good looking bow Mr Barnes, wonderful snake character in those limbs.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2020, 07:40:04 pm »
Badly bent, if I can get my white oak untwisted I want to do a scalloped bow.  How did you cut those? 

Offline RyanR

« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2020, 07:44:10 pm »
Good to see you on here Greg. :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2020, 07:59:35 pm »
Well holy smokes....Lots of bows from everywhere it seems.Recent and ones from the past getting finished up.All pretty impressive.Good thing about pulling shavings I never run out of fire starter for the stove.....Ha Ha.I finished my cat quiver made with a real cat.Need a carrying strap yet.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2020, 08:11:55 pm »
Great to see you Greg. I sure hope we can do Marshall.

Yesterday was frustrating. I had been working on my planter for three days. Once I thought I had it fixed for sure. Then next morning it wasn’t working again. Hate those intermittent problems. Then had expert out for half a day. That’s going to be a nice bill. He thought he had it, but next morning it wasn’t working again. Yesterday another expert. I was suspecting a part. It was what I suspected. Of course that was the part I was hoping it wasn’t. $2800 + 2 service calls. Then I decided to put on some fertilizer on my wheat. I put on liquid 28% with my sprayer. I had already tested it with water a couple weeks ago and everything worked perfect. Of course I didn’t make it all the way around the field and seal went out on hydraulic motor. I fortunately had a spare. There goes another $2100.

Today everything is working.

Bjrogg

That’s a sweet cat quiver Ed

Anybody seen Dbar?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #203 on: April 04, 2020, 08:13:02 pm »
Oh Bob I see the same thing Pearl does.
Bjrogg

Ps love that front profile.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:16:27 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #204 on: April 04, 2020, 08:16:36 pm »
Hi Ryan, how you doing my friend? I like the looks of the bow you have going here.

Edward, I use a 1" wide 1/2 round rasp/file, to cut the scallops.

Good looking cat quiver BowEd.

Here's a couple pics of the semi bendy handle osage I finished tillering and shot in today, 37# @ 24".  Made this one for my youngest daughter, last bow I made for her was when she was around 13 yrs old I think, she's 26 now. Didn't take any work in progress, or braced, or full draw pics. It got a coat of varnish at the end of the day today, if its dry enough to string up tomorrow I'll bring it home and have the wife take a pic at full draw. I have some smoked tanned deer hide from Paulsemp for the handle wrap when its done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #205 on: April 04, 2020, 08:17:26 pm »
thanks guys...that's the problem I always have... I will try to fix it some tomorrow.

Ed, that is a great looking quiver... and a BobCat ta' boot.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2020, 08:29:48 pm »
mmattockx~ looking good...you don't have any problems with the porous red oak sucking moisture from glue and then needing a few days to dry?  Just curious... no wonder everything takes me so long.   ???

This is my first red oak bow, so I can't say (only my second bow ever, so I am about as green as can be at this). I used titebond III and put a light sizing coat on the wood before the backing went on and it certainly didn't feel wet this morning at all. I live in central Alberta and we are near desert levels of humidity so everything dries too fast in general.

Mark

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2020, 08:32:45 pm »
Hey badly bent!! its good to see you!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2020, 08:35:02 pm »
Nice looking bow Greg. I don't know how you come up with some of your tip ideas ,but I really like them. It's one of the first things I look at on your bows.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2020, 08:42:39 pm »
Well here's the HHB I started today. It's been awhile since I have worked this wood, but I kinda like it. It's a little softer than Osage which is a nice break. I may have to go cut some next weekend. Tomorrow I hope to get back to the Osage bow and shape the grip and overlays and do the final sanding.