Author Topic: In search of the best elm  (Read 3090 times)

Offline sleek

In search of the best elm
« on: September 17, 2020, 09:00:25 pm »
I want to find which elm is the best elm for bows. I know thats subjective in many ways, but im going to base it on which elm required the least width to make a bow of a set length and less than one inch of set, im thinking 62 inches long with 28 inch draw, 55 pounds.

So I want to sample each species of elm there is in the United States. This, being purely experimental, I have no desire to keep any of the bows I make. Also, as I live in NC, I am limited in the species around here thats available. If yall are interested in helping, and getting the bow i make from your stave, assuming its survival  ( anything can happen ) feel free to comment what elm species you have access to with pics of the leaves, bark, and branches. Saplings are great 4-5" are great, id not recommend anyone trying to split a stave. Fresh cut is fine, I will let them set a year, this will not be fast, but it should be interestingto learn from.

Admin, I would have put this into the trade area, but I figured since I'm just  going to make and send off all the bows with no trade actually being made, and the purpose Im going for here to broaden knowledge of elm, I'd like to keep it here if it pleases yall.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

Re: In search of the best elm
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 05:22:14 am »
Elm varies wildly within each species.   You'd need  many samples of each kind.  By  the numbers Rock Elm should theoretically hold the most potential.

I have cut American elm with wood which resembled anything from Yew to Ironwood.

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 05:42:47 am »
There is no best. Varies from tree to tree in same species. Small dia rules just like Old Guys.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 06:50:56 pm »
Wych elm was a popular choice in Europe for both the elb and Holmegaard  bows, but I don't think it grows in the USA. You might want to research which elms are easier to split - this could save a lot of work. I would tend to stay away from American elm.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:45 pm »
I would tend to stay away from American elm.

Huh?  Quite a few people consider American Elm among the top woods you can get.   

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »
For no other reason other than its hard to split, I guess red elm would be worse to split, plus the smell. Yeah, pretty much any elm is a candidate. From limited experience it seems heat treatment can turn any average elm bow into a very decent shooter.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 11:57:27 pm »
Elms over here vary from excellent to average, to poor......Good luck!
Wych elm is no different to any of the others we have here from a bow making point of view.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 07:10:30 am »
I would tend to stay away from American elm.

Huh?  Quite a few people consider American Elm among the top woods you can get.

Agree American elm has been great for me. Red elm not so much although it’s beautiful when one gets hold of a good stave.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 07:12:41 am »
I would never discount any wood based on  how it splits or works.  The end result is all that matters.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:49:27 am »
Elm can be kerf cut and split.most times I quarter a log with a chain saw.following the grain is not so important like it is with something like Osage orange.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline pumarchery

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:37:44 am »
Here's my lame answer for u; I think whichever is most plentifully available near you is the best Elm, or the best bowwood. And I agree with HH, there's so much variation from tree to tree, even in same species. Also I think we should never let split-ability stop us from unlocking a beautiful bow hidden in a tree

- Michael
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:03:10 am by pumarchery »

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:48 am »
Here's my lame answer for u; I think whichever is most plentifully available near you is the best Elm,

that’s not lame at all. it allows sleek to look thru lots of elm and figure out what makes one better than the other. growing conditions? age? density?

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 11:56:58 am »
I've cut Elm growing  a few feet apart and seen vastly different wood

I think Marc mentioned cutting two trunks that were forked off the same root and both halves were different.

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 01:07:13 pm »
I have read there can be more genetic difference between different parts of the same tree than between individual trees found at different locations.

Density difference is often cited as a primary factor in studies of the mechanical properties of wood.

Dean Torges used to take samples with a foresters increment borer before dropping a tree, although I think he may have been looking at early/late ratios in order to estimate density.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »
To a large degree trying to select a tree based on criteria without actually cutting the tree and trying to make a bow from is pointless.

You won't know until you know.