Author Topic: Hickory in the south east  (Read 3495 times)

Offline sleek

Hickory in the south east
« on: September 27, 2020, 11:13:29 pm »
Don't work too good. Its a 60 inch long bow that I have just started fkoor tiller and it's already wanting to take set. Im just wanting 45@26. Im gonna get it braced then heat treat the crap out of it. If that don't work, well, im gonna say hickory in North Carolina where yearly average humidity is 77% is just as good as willow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

Re: Hickory in the south east
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:18:39 am »
Have you got it 6-8% m.c.? If not then it is mushy :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 12:34:21 am »
Have you got it 6-8% m.c.? If not then it is mushy :)

I dont know what its at, i don't have a meter. Its a store bought board though.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:54:03 am »
I bought a kiln dried straight grained 5 quarter Hickory board  from an Amish cabinet maker a few years ago. From just being on the shelf in his shop the moisture content was 14 %. Belly heat treat it ,and  stick it in a hot box for about a week, and heat treat the belly as you tiller if it starts taking more set than you want.JMO.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 08:32:58 am »
It’s pretty humid where I am, often in the 70s even in the shop. I still use mostly hickory it just takes some aggressive humidity management and heat treating. A drying box helps force the mc down to that 6-8%. For minimum set I also like doing a heat treat before any bending, and then a few during tillering. That’s what I did for the recent 60” 1” wide hickory though it was only 40#.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:33 am »
Any wood, kiln dried or not will be at equilibrium with the RH of the area it is in so only being kiln dried doesn't matter. It was kiln dried from standing live, wet wood to a lesser amount of moisture after kiln drying but it will have to be brought down to 6% (mol) before it will preform well.
 Historically, hickory was one of the preferred bow woods of the Eastern Woodland tribes and specifically the southeast. I've made many hickory bows over the years and learned by trial and error and from other successful bowyers that if handled properly, before, during and after building a hickory bow you can minimize set without much effort.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 10:22:31 am »
heat box gonna help alot,,it may not take the amount of set you prefer, as stated, it will still make a good bow,,with a little set,, I hope,, :)
  I made some with hard backing that shot well,, in humid climate,, did use heat box,, and perry reflex

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 10:37:49 am »
Alright, thanks for the replies guys. Reckon I need a heat box. How hot do yall make em and whats your heat source?

Pat, once you have made a hickory bow, throughout the rest of its life, do you find it needs heat treat again periodically to keep it dry?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:50:57 am »
I have not made any in long time,, but I seem to rember putting them back in heat box, ,, after being expossed to rainy conditions,, ok IM not expert on this, it not so much the heat temp,,, but the heat source light bulb,, just drives out the moisture,, I think mine was around 90 degress,, and I did check some osage trying to dry it too quickly,, I dont recall checking any hickory,,

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 11:00:33 am »
Look on utube . Their are examples on how to make a good heat box. Light bulbs ,plywood,and a liner etc. You can even make them with a thermostat to control temperature. Once you make one you will use it, and not only for Hickory.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 11:10:00 am »
Once heat treated you shouldn't need to do that again if stored properly, either in your home with AC or in a hotbox.
 I built my hotbox with plans from Bingham's when I was going to build a glass longbow. You don't need to build one as extensive as the one I made. One sheet of foil backed foam board and some duct tape will do it for the box and a ceramic light socket or 2 and 100w incandescent light bulbs will do what is needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 11:35:00 am »
used in a hunting application, Im sure the hickory was fine for taking game,, even with a little set,, warmed over a camp fire other means probably kept them very serviceable,, with two bows ,,, one could always be stored in a less humid environment,, and ready for use, if the other bow took on some moisture,, if you were strong enough, a heavier bow could compensate for string follow and mositure content,,,and or heat treating may keep the moisure content at bay,,

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 12:13:41 pm »
hickory is a royal pain in the southeast but when dry enough as good as osage... your problem is obvious.. wood it too wet still.. it will not get under 15 % outside period... you have to bring inside for about 6 months after you rough out bow.. and anytime you take it outside to work it goes back inside immediately.. once finished seal and its good to go... trust me I have quite a few hickory bows and I am in Ga.. they are as good as any osage bow ... gut

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 12:25:40 pm »
let me add... 6% to me is too dry... 8% is as low as it needs to go IMO... anything under 12% should be fine..  12 or over and you will take set ...it will not get below 15% stored in a barn outside even for years.. the bugs will get it before it gets dry..haha..  a hot box will certainly help but force drying wood can create checks and hickory will check if force dried too fast... once you seal it after finishing bow you won't need to do anything to it again.. my bows stay in the basement ..summary: in south hickory is a fine bow wood .. might even become your favorite.. royal pain to dry but when properly treated it is a killer , light in hand , tolerable to violations, quick and hard hitting bow..    when I get some fresh hickory I remove bark rough out bow, if going to recurve go ahead and do it.. then put in closet for at least 6 months and work on other projects... gut

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 01:30:21 pm »
nice INfo Gut,, Im tempted to order a stave and see what I can do,,