Author Topic: Mailing A Bow  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Andrea S

Mailing A Bow
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:14 pm »
Hey guys, I know some of you have some experience with this. I'm flying home from college, but my bow isn't going to fit in my luggage and I've already got all the carry-on I can handle. My only resort is to mail my bow to my home address. It's 45" long and I've got some arrows/arrow materials that need to go with it. What would be the best way to pack/ship it?
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Keenan

Re: Mailing A Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:17:10 pm »
 Andrea, if you have a carpet store nearby they just through away the carpet tubes and will probably give you as many as you want. Cut with a hand saw to length plus a few inches and tape up one end, then wrap a rag around the end a slide in and wrap the other then tape the end shut. US postal ground will be the cheapest.   ;D

PS. also helps to wrap bow in something to protect skins/finish

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:30:33 pm »
You can also use 4" plastic drain pipe, the cheaper thin-wall stuff works fine.  Buy a couple of caps or you can seal the ends with duct tape.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:42:09 pm »
Yep..... I use 3 or 4 inch PVC Schedule 10 Drainfield Pipe....really Cheap....plus they get a lot of Breakage in transport....so sometimes you can find it for free or next to nothing at the Lumber Yards.....So go there and be your Charming Self....and I bet you can get some for nothing!!!! If you want to use it more than once....buy a couple caps....glue one side on....wrap the Tips of you Bow with Bubble wrap ....so that you get a good snug fit....slide it in the Tube....and put the other Cap on...but just tape it with Duct Tape or Packing Tape...so it will come off easy......and don't mess with Parcel Post or Postal Ground....because I sent a Bow to Lower Michigan three weeks ago....and it was 5 pounds total......the cost for Ground was $4.50....and the price for Priority Mail was $4.60....and you get a free tracking Number too....if you do it on the Internet......and it only three days ....instead of 6-8 days also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

nokswimmer

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »
i always use USPS....cheapest and never had a problem.    and i usually use the 3-4inch tubes   put 2 together    works perfectly     i even sent a bow over seas that way.

~Nate

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:37:22 pm »
Oh..Andrea.....I almost forgot.....you can go to the USPS....and ask them for two Triangular Priority Mail Boxes....and slip then together to get the right length....and use them to ship in too....and they are FREE!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:14:04 pm »
I wouldn't trust a nice bow to the cardboard triangle boxess-I've gotten too many of them that were ripped and squished. Get you some PVC.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 04:34:34 pm »
Ship it in a thin walled PVC pipe(3" should hold bow and arrows) with end caps taped on. I was told by USPS to ship anything of value "priority mail". Fewer folks handling it that way. Get delivery confirmation. That way they can trace it if lost.  This has always worked for me.   
   DO NOT SHIP IT UPS!!! Somehow, they can always prove that you packed it improperly and for some reason they seem to take pleasure is seeing if they can ruin things marked fragile. ???   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:32 pm »
I had a buddy who worked at ups.  He said those guys throw anything they can pick up.  The people who unload the trucks that is.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 10:56:54 pm »
I saw that bow Andrea, you can just leave it here I will watch it for you...  ;D ;D ;) Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:25 pm »
  If the tips aren't curved muck ,use schedule 40 , 2" PVC and save on the postage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 12:19:13 am »
Andrea, I ship them everywhere, and I do what El Destructo mentioned as well. I also pad the ends of the bow often with a bunch of plastic shopping bags, and when I put the bow in one end  of the box, use a bunch of wadded up bags  to secure it in place before placing the second box over it and taping it tight. Put packing tape over your address label as well. Many Postal outlet stores have all these packing goodies to use there for free.

The most important aspect is to insure it for a bundle, say 400$. The insurance is cheap , a few bucks, but that sticker is worth more than just the money since everyone who handles the package has to be accountable.

Also like mentioned don't use UPS. They have broke more bows than the US Cavalry did...And collecting on their insurance takes a lot of yelling..trust me on this ;)

Rich

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 12:27:57 am »
You can buy PVC or ship with a USPS PRIORITY MAIL TRIANGLE BOX...either way....Priority Mail is the only way to go.....I have sent them all the way to Brazil....Australia....and the Chec Republic....and never had one damaged in the Triangle Tubes....but you need to Bubble Wrap the Tips good and the whole Bow if you have the Room....go free or buy some PVC either way send it PRIORITY MAIL........JMO....ICBW

Yankee
2024...We Will Overcome