Author Topic: Extreme weight forward - Asby style trade point  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Little John

Extreme weight forward - Asby style trade point
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:26:14 pm »
Just made this, came out heavier than I planned on at 315 grains but should penetrate at close range. 7/8" wide, three inch long cutting edge, tanto tip, single edge bevel. Just experimenting, guess I need to find a thinner saw blade, but this is hard stuff, I wont worry about it bending on bone. Oh it is beside a 190 grain grizzly for comparison. Maybe it can tame one of my over spined shafts.    Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline david w.

Re: Extreme weight forward - Asby style trade point
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:29:43 pm »
thats nice it should do the job
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:12:49 pm »
That sucker ought to put a big hole in just about anything you're likely to run into out there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:21:10 am »
I did a bit more grinding and it now weighs 275 gr. maybe when I get a scary sharp hollow ground bevelit will be about 250. looks like it has bison written all over it. Well we will see how it shoots tomorrow.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:40:14 am »
That ought to punch a hole is a bison for sure. Your arrows fly so well, I'm curious to see how well they fly with the extreme weight forward.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 12:28:57 pm »
Got her mounted up last night and test drove her this morning, best shooting arrow in my quiver. It does not dive at the ground like I thought it would with that heavy of point, shoots flat to 25 yards.That cane is amasing stuff, it is rare to have one not fly good, and most of the time very good. Total arrow weight 750 grains at 18.25% foc  balance. I made it 7/8" wide as that is the Colorado minimum.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:30:51 pm »
Looks like chicken fried backstrap to me!!! ;D 8)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:05:26 pm »
Pat I will try to get some made and send some your way. Man you made me hungry with that remark about the Chicken Fried Backstrap. You got some of that coming also as soon as I get lucky.    Kenneth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:16:28 pm »
             I dont have any of them Cane Arrow....or Trade Points....but I have plenty of Back Strap and Steaks left!!!!

Don't be offended by the packs of Rib Eyes and the dead Buzzard!!!

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 04:17:34 pm »
Good looking stash, you are a rich man indeed. If you had some of these cane arrows you could be filthy obscenly rich. My freezer quit qnd ruined my last wild game stash, still crying.  Maybe this year.   Kenneth

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 05:22:09 pm »
Jezzzzzzzzzzzz L.J.!!!!!!!!!!! I did not know those Elk needed armor piercing ammo. Good lord and good luck. I will try and horn in on Pat's "gift".

Dick

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 05:35:20 pm »
Dick, long time no see, missed ya at the classic, maybe next year.   Hey I have got you some cut out and am headed up now to grind edges on them. No doubt armor piercers.   Your friend Kenneth

DBernier

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 06:24:16 pm »
Thanks LJ.  Pat was just wiping the sweat off his brow.   ;D

Dick

Offline scattershot

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 09:10:24 pm »
Still got dinosaurs down your way, LJ? Nice lookin' head!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »
yup. could stop a tank those. have fun.
lets just shoot it