Author Topic: pigheaded impatience!  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
pigheaded impatience!
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:00:10 pm »
 Well, this is what I get for being too impatient and trying to force things.  ::) >:(
   This is a mulberry stave from the same piece Hillbilly gave me that I made Lil Tigre' with. It is 49" t/t and I have been working for the last 2 days on straightening the stave and putting the recurves in and lining them up. All with dry heat and olive oil. After a bit more limb tapering I put a tiller string on it and put it on the tree. Things were looking good; bending a bit more here than there but basically looking good. I thought a short brace was in order and with the string an inch above the belly the bow was mostly lining up except for the handle area which I had anticipated. ;D
  This is where the pigheaded impatience comes in! ::)  I figured a bit more brace height was called for and shortened the string and began to brac......BANG!!! :o expletives deleted!!! :(...and I know better. ::)    Gosh, she was gonna be nice too. My intentions were a bendy handle, sinew backed, shorty recurve...and all I got was a learned lesson...I hope it sunk in!     Pat

ps. I know I could do this or that to "fix" the problem but I'm not gonna. I'm gonna place it where I can see it when I go into my shop.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

Re: pigheaded impatience!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:29:50 pm »
I did the same thing with a recurve once too, hung it on the wall of shame as well.  :'( Now get out to the shop a build another!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:04:23 pm »
Dano, I took your advise and see where it got me! >:(     SHOP CLOSED for TODAY!!! ;)
   Two in one day. I must be living right! ;D       Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:58:12 pm »
Thats just bad luck..... :o
Hapens every now and then just to remind you this is "wood" your dealing with.....its never a sure thing.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:01:54 pm »
I haven't broken many so when they do break, like this osage, it does get your attention.  :o ;D I have had many "badly bent" bows in my time! ;D     Pat

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:10:01 pm »
Well durnnit! and a nice lookin peice of wood too. Finally loaded up some BL I got from Dingleberry and another from be darned if I can remember. Anyway - hope I don't wind up with the same results :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »
Pat, I'm sure glad that I've never done anything like that.  ::)  :) Paul, you got one locust stave from me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:54:01 pm »
i caint find any streight locust. all the stuff here looks like its been tied in knots. :P
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:04:19 pm »
i caint find any streight locust. all the stuff here looks like its been tied in knots. :P

Yah-ont sum?? I think that how you Suthin Boyz says it......Got me's a bunch a dat Lucust wuud!!!!

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:23:35 pm »
Dats honey locust!  ;) Yankee
Paul. The second one is the bow Kenneth was shooting that morning(Sunday?) we all went around.
RS. All of our locust is straight but it has bore all through it as it grows.
  Steve, well, one or 2, maybe! ;D    Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 07:31:23 pm »
When it rains it pours.   :'( I think I can relate to that.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:18:34 pm »
Yep....it's Honey Locust alright....Jest said I had a Bunch of Locust.....I already too one set of Billets down to a single Growth Ring....and have the two pieces notched and ready for Glue-Up.....I cant beleive that they are almost dry already!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:01:24 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:29:33 pm »
Pat I broke an osage and a hickory within 20 minutes one day I just found some of that Tn. spring water and forgot
about wood for several hours

Ron

radius

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:09 pm »
make the least of all that goes, my brother

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 09:20:31 pm »
Aha! Steve - I've been rackinig my brain trying to remember who gave me that one ;D. Too bad about that bow Pat, sure was shootin good for Keneth - may it rest in peace O:).
 So Yankee, have you gotten a bow made of that honey locust yet? I've been ponderin cuttin down a few :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.