Author Topic: rare but painful  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
rare but painful
« on: May 28, 2023, 02:41:27 pm »
I was out shooting today and this happened...

It is pretty painful when it is a self nock but I was impressed with the sinew wrap at the nock. I was shooting a bow I got from James Parker at the Classic this year, 50#@26", boo back and belly High Country. The shot was from 15 yards.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron1726

Re: rare but painful
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:47:59 pm »
That's a shame, those are some nice arrows.  At the same time, it's pretty cool to see!

Any chance you could repair it?  Maybe splice in a new section for the nock?  I'm always trying to save the ones I mess up  :)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 08:47:24 am »
Ouch, bummer.  I always think it's funny how non-archers think robin-hooding an arrow is the coolest thing, but it something most of us live in fear of...

That is pretty great how the wrap held up, though.  Sinew is tough stuff.  I'm going back to silk thread on most of my arrows.  It isn't as tough, but it doesn't unravel when it gets wet!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 09:01:52 am »
Aaron, I plan on trying to repair this arrow as you suggested.
 WB, after the sinew wrap dries I put a thin coat of TBIII on the sinew wrap then seal with pitch varnish so the wraps don't unravel, wet or dry. Silk works well also but I don't think you can beat the strength of a sinew wrap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 12:59:34 pm »
I know this is not your style, Pat. I have had that happen and I just tapered the bit left over and glued on a plastic nock so the arrow could live on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:36:04 pm »
Too late, Pearlie. I already spliced a piece on the nock end. I'll post pics of the process after I'm done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 11:38:06 am »
Well, the theory for the repair worked. I use a long bevel on each piece and used TBIII with rubber bands to hold it together over night and got good adhesion but my application was less than good. The alignment was off and I see no correction method worthwhile. One of those reparro arrow repair thingies would have worked fine.

Offline M2A

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 07:42:38 am »
Well at least you have consistent shot placement :) It does hurt when they are self nocks tho. Hope you can get it shooting again. I did see a real fancy set one time that had a small footing of ebony on the nock end.
Mike

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 08:56:31 pm »
Thats a bummer Pat, and I agree with Whistling Badger, I fear being that consistent and accurate lol  (lol).

I had that happen once a few years ago when I was shooting 50-100 shots a day. It was cool, but also a bummer when I just spent the last week building a nice matching set of arrows. Mine split though, it was made of duglas fir. I started shooting different spots on the target for each arrow. I cant believe yours caught the arrow, I mean it stuck into the other arrow, CRAZY! (A)

Offgrid mtn living

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 09:08:32 pm »
It was the sinew wrap that caught the offending arrow.
 I usually try not to shoot at the same spot but I was shooting a new bow and just trying to get used to it. Oh well, stuff happens.  (SH)