Author Topic: T-rex bow?  (Read 14343 times)

Offline Kegan

T-rex bow?
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:15:35 pm »
If you want an explanation, Jurassic Park was on a few days ago ;D.

Anyway, the things were even bigger than elephants- about 20' tall, and six tons. So I think they'd need an even bigger bow and arrow than needed for elephant (100#, 1500 grain arrow).

So, how big? Since the heart/lung of the things were pretty high up (10-15 feet), the bow would have to be strong enough to toss the spear (the 5 ounce arrow) up there, all the wile you're at least 25-30 yards back (they do sem to like people-mc'nuggets!). So what, 150#? Or more?

The bow would need to be long, about 80" or so, with a long draw (30-32"), so the finished bow would be much like an Old War Bow, and since I like to make D bows, it pretty much would be.

So, for the fun of it, what do you all think would be necessary?

And yes, once I figure this out, I will start trying to make this stuff ;D

jape

Re: T-rex bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:50:54 pm »
Well to be frank I think you would need a body like Conan's, implements of brass and no brain! But in the interests of the post and the survival of our species, I wonder if penetration or accuracy is the most important thing, how deep inside is the heart/lung, how thick is the skin? Would a thin, fast, sharp arrow be better than a big spear type?

Don't they keep a spare second brain in their tail or something weird?
Maybe a barbed, poisoned arrow (or ten) is the go!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:47 pm »
By spear, I simply meant a long, heavy arrow for penetration (the ideal diameter would still be about 3/8"). Being as large as they were, I think that a single lung shot would be the best you could hope for without using a plane. I couldn't find how thick the skin, or how broad the body cavity was.

I was thinking poison, as you'll already be tailing the things for a while with a sinlge lung hit. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about them to concoct one tough enough for those brutes!

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:09:02 pm »
A ballista from a tree stand, shoot the eye into the brain. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:34:25 pm »
By spear, I simply meant a long, heavy arrow for penetration (the ideal diameter would still be about 3/8"). Being as large as they were, I think that a single lung shot would be the best you could hope for without using a plane. I couldn't find how thick the skin, or how broad the body cavity was.

I was thinking poison, as you'll already be tailing the things for a while with a sinlge lung hit. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about them to concoct one tough enough for those brutes!

uh, dont you mean running from the thing? i dont think it would run away cus a tiny critter stuck a tiny stick in its side. and i actualy agree with the balista idea. like useing a smartbomb to kill a tank. not totally nessicary, but the safest bet.
lets just shoot it

jape

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:39:58 pm »
http://www.geotimes.org/mar08/article.html?id=nn_fossil.html

This small dinosaur had a very thick skin, 25 criss-crossing collagen layers is very tough. Apparently only one modern creature, the nurse shark, has a similar thick skin! It could be that this dino had evolved (yes, it happened) a thick skin for protection as it was prey, but also it could be that all dinos had thick skin and T-Rex had a skin like cured leather!

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:08:22 pm »
A ballista from a tree stand, shoot the eye into the brain. Joel

You might hit the former but miss the latter!

I once saw a bow that was used to hunt elephants.  It was held by the feet and pulled with both arms.  Of course atlatl darts were used too.  Fiddler likes his darts 7-8 oz.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:44 pm »
i dunno but ifin ya succeed in yer dino hunting. gimme a tooth or tow for ara heads.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:04 pm »
A .700 nitro express sounds better.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:46:04 pm »
A .700 nitro express sounds better.  ;D

thats what i would want  ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:38:19 pm »
Kegan- You're describing the bows you always make. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:40:05 pm »
...hows out an eight guage shotgun.  :o
lets just shoot it

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:01 pm »
Practice Practice Practice
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:16:56 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:36:11 pm »
Wel if I ever run across one of them T-Rex creatures, I'll just use me old trusty Winchester 67 and CCI stingers. My grandaddy said they'd kill anything! ;D  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:04:11 am »
yup. i gots a winchester modle 94 3030. ben lilly said it would kill anything!!

(uh, dose anyone els even know who he was? or am i the only one?)
lets just shoot it