Author Topic: Tiller advice  (Read 8750 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Tiller advice
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 03:06:41 am »
ElD, what do you mean by pike?  Is this putting in reflex at the handle?

Cutting the Tips down an inch or two each to get the Weight back up
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 11:36:10 am »
When ever I see questionable tiller I always wonder "why didn't he use a tillering gizmo". Used from the long string to about 20" of draw it will give you perfect tiller as long as you can eyeball some limb movement in the fade out area.

Lots of newbies could make a great bow on their first try if they would make one of these simple tools.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033419

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 12:46:13 pm »
You are right...they work great....cant take wood off where it shouldnt...if you follow the Pencil Lines!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 12:55:06 pm »
That sure is a fancy gizmo. Did you make it or buy it?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 01:13:21 pm »
                    I made it...............well .....at least I made the Money and bought it............ >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 01:25:09 pm »
El, you gave good advice on how to fix the tiller. I was impressed. I'm not sure I understand some of the previous posts regarding offering suggestions, particularly to beginners, regarding tiller especially since advice was requested. In the old days mentoring took care of that. No longer an option seemingly these days. Unfortunately, some see it as undue criticism. That's unfortunate. How else can people be helped? Anyway, looks like the tips are slightly recurved. Not sure if I would pike it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

radius

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »
where'd ya buy that sucker, El D?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 01:41:46 pm »
where'd ya buy that sucker, El D?

If I told Ya...I'd have ta come to Canada and Kill Ya....and Ya know I ain't allowed there....at least not without the Prime Minister's Consent!!!!  ;D >:D ;)

Nah........give me a Bit and I will find the Company in Germany I bought it from....I'll get back to Ya!!

And Jawge.....I try very hard to be helpful and not Judgemental....but sometimes people just don't want to hear it....so I will do it off Site...just to keep from hurting some feelings....must be sad to be so touchy feelly!!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:47:00 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 01:46:47 pm »
thanks...you are a real helpful guy, Mike, full of energy for the good of others...what a prince

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »
thanks...you are a real helpful guy, Mike, full of energy for the good of others...what a prince

I aim to Please.....dontcha know!!!!!!!!!

The Guys Name is Kunst Griff...his email is  kunst-griff@online.de
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:19:21 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 02:57:30 pm »
thanks fo the info....i checked out that ebay page...but i think i'll just make one instead...What diameter is the pencil lead in there?  Where'd you get the replacements?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 03:15:47 pm »
thanks fo the info....i checked out that ebay page...but i think i'll just make one instead...What diameter is the pencil lead in there?  Where'd you get the replacements?

2mm and I got them from an Office Supply store
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »
2mm????   That's tiny!  What are the dimensions on that little gizmo?  Length, width, thickness?  Looks like about an inch wide?

Offline loco cacahuate

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 04:58:39 pm »
Check out Eric's link above, all the details you need. Very simple to make.
Never drop your gun to hug a grizzly

San Angelo TX

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 05:03:56 pm »
ElD, what do you mean by pike?  Is this putting in reflex at the handle?

Cutting the Tips down an inch or two each to get the Weight back up

I made the bow 67" Tip to Tip but is more like 65" NTN.  I did this incase I had to fix a wieght issue.  The story of this bow was I made it at the balt trad classic.  The guy running the show said he never uses tiller sticks or tiller trees.  Only by eyeballing.  So we worked on our bows Thursday night until Sunday at 2PM.  I was the only one with a string on the bow.  I scraped and scraped on that right limb because I knew it was stiffer.  Then he was packing up, and said "go ahead and shoot it, I think its ready".  Ok, I shot it, it was ok.  It was 57lbs at 29" draw.  So I ended up shooting it like 100 times and got a bunch of string follow on that right limb.  Sooo, I reflexed the tips at the same time as trying to get out a little prop twist.    Long story short, I think he saw the hinge and thought there is no way he is going to hit his weight and deal with the hinge, and he was packing up to go home.  

Looking back, I think I should have been using a tiller tree from the beginning.  

So with all that said, I should have waited before putting on my fancy antler tips.  

I have kinda used this bow as a learning project, and this is one more learning experience.  So far, I learned a little about steaming in reflex, laying out a bow, chasin rings, building the bow, etc, and now tillering issues.  Now, I guess I will finish up my learnin on tillering with this one bow, and learn about pikin and heat treating the belly.  I have read Hamm's book on heat treating the belly.

Eric, you showed me that tool on tradgang.  I think its really cool, but not sure how it would work on twisty osage.  Hickory or black locust, I bet will be great.  
Westminster, MD