Author Topic: Tiller advice  (Read 8731 times)

Offline bigcountry

Tiller advice
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:42:22 pm »
Well, thought this would be easy.  But not sure what to do.  I know the limb on the right is little stiff but it has a nice curve.  The one on the left is developing a hinge, and is stiff about 10" from the tip.  But I did put about 1.5" of reflex in last 6" of tip.

Having a heck of a time getting it centered up.  I have been putting a level on the back at the handle.  I put the scale in the center of the string.  This is at 24".  I ultimately will be tillering at 29".

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

Re: Tiller advice
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:44:58 pm »
By the way, what do you think of my antler tips I put on?

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »
Here's another pic at 26" draw.

Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »
You need to remove more wood from the Right limb...from Mid-Limb to within 6-8 inches of the Tip....from the Handle to Mid-Limb looks good

On the Left Limb....you need to remove wood from the Handle to where that Limb is trying to Hinge on You....and then from about Mid-Limb to within 6-8 inches of that Tip too....what is your Poundage like?? Do you have room to spare yet?? If not...you need to worry about getting both Limbs bending right....and then you can Pike it to gain a little weight back

Good Luck and I hope that this helped.... Sent a PM also..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:32:34 pm »
I would refrain from pulling that far with the tiller that way off, no ned to do undue damage to the wood.

Be carefull tillering with the hook exactly in the middle of the string, that's a recepy for weeker lower limb once you start sthooting it.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:36:58 pm »
Thanks guys, from the advise you guys gave, I figured I would get the right limb bending more to equal things.  Then post another picture, and to get a nicer bend on both limbs.  I don't have much room to work with.  The bow is at 57lbs now and wanted to keep it at 54-55ish.  But I can live with 50 pretty well. 

Thanks for the detailed PM Elde
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:46:42 pm »
I would refrain from pulling that far with the tiller that way off, no ned to do undue damage to the wood.

Be carefull tillering with the hook exactly in the middle of the string, that's a recepy for weeker lower limb once you start sthooting it.

I shoot 3under. does that matter?  I figured 3 under you would want to put the hook right in the middle? 
Westminster, MD

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:06:01 pm »
I have no idea how you should tiller for 3 under :D :D :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 06:00:48 pm »
You need to remove more wood from the Right limb...from Mid-Limb to within 6-8 inches of the Tip....from the Handle to Mid-Limb looks good

On the Left Limb....you need to remove wood from the Handle to where that Limb is trying to Hinge on You....and then from about Mid-Limb to within 6-8 inches of that Tip too....what is your Poundage like?? Do you have room to spare yet?? If not...you need to worry about getting both Limbs bending right....and then you can Pike it to gain a little weight back

Good Luck and I hope that this helped.... Sent a PM also..

Hey!  Are you sending people ovals now?  Post it, man!  Post it!  I wanna see it.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 06:14:09 pm »

Hey!  Are you sending people ovals now?  Post it, man!  Post it!  I wanna see it.

Can't do it....don't want the Mod's....and certain Individuals getting bent out of Shape .....because I am interfering with ....and not Atta Boying everyone for everything they do....I would rather PM someone and see if I can help them that way.....than to listen to the Crap...I will not fuel their Fires any longer

And Bigcountry....everything that I can find on 3 Under....would have me believe that you would tiller it for a center draw....could be wrong though....maybe someone else uses this technique....I sure don't....I build North American Flatbows!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 06:50:31 pm »
Well, guys, I have about screwed the pooch on this one. :-[

I took off stiff areas on the left limb and very little on the right.  And she's a 48lb bow now, and still have work to do on the right limb.  Going to put her away for a while.  Little discouraged.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 06:53:54 pm »
Yeah.....walk away...and let it rest....and look at it in a different perspective next time...Don't worry about the Poundage ...you can Pike it later and heat treat the Back and get back about 10-15 pounds....Good Luck
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:00:30 pm »
I don't think I would be heat treating the back, the belly maybe
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:31:20 pm »
I don't think I would be heat treating the back, the belly maybe

MY BAD!!!!! What an A##!!!! Yeah the Belly.....Duh!!!!!!!! Thanks Marc........

:o :-[
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:00:10 am by Justin Snyder »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 11:32:18 pm »
ElD, what do you mean by pike?  Is this putting in reflex at the handle?
Westminster, MD